What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Mini kievs for the first time in forever

Its a sad sad day in my house, what the **** have they done to them? What is the meat quality classification below scraped off the butchers floor?

Shame!

Mini kievs, potato wafflles and sweetcorn was a great childhood meal of mine!

Replace the waffles with these and it was utopia

maxresdefault.jpg

Duck chow me in, satay chicken skewers, crispy shredded beef, salt and chilli chicken, mini spring rolls... Then the contentious item, the wife want a pot of sweet and sour sauce, I'm not a fan, would have taken more satay, would even have taken Chinese bbq or lemon over s&s

That small detail away from perfection

Just about to order a chicken vindaloo, rice, chips and a naan. 

I won't eat it all as there are too many carbs, but i can't decide on which one to leave out. 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Just about to order a chicken vindaloo, rice, chips and a naan. 

I won't eat it all as there are too many carbs, but i can't decide on which one to leave out. 

Have them all and the leftovers for breakfast 😃

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've noticed a German doner kebab place in sutton, opposite that moody bottle of sack pub (imho) called GDK.

Didn't know there was a big call for such a kebab, although I appreciate there are large turkish communities in Germany....perhaps that was the idea for it ? 

Anyone tried it ? Any good; any different ?

5 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I've noticed a German doner kebab place in sutton, opposite that moody bottle of sack pub (imho) called GDK.

Didn't know there was a big call for such a kebab, although I appreciate there are large turkish communities in Germany....perhaps that was the idea for it ? 

Not been but they're popping up everywhere. There are 2 in town (mate)

• Haha 1

On 28/01/2023 at 18:11, mottaloo said:

I've had one. 

It was definitely a doner kebab. 

• Like 1

saw them at christmas, there are 2 chains trying to take over, one is GDK cant remember the other, didn't eat at either because they both looked shite, they've completely missed the point, they're not german and they're not even what i would call a turkish style kebab, i honestly dont know what they're meant to be, the bread is wrong, the meat is wrong, the salad is wrong, maybe the sauces are ok

GDK - 

Healthy Doner Kebab Chain, German Doner Kebab, Is Set To Open Five ...

actual german kebab - 

Serhat Kebap-& Pizzahaus Morbach - Home - Morbach - Menu, Prices ...

Hamtramck's Balkan House only local spot for German-style doner kebab

they pack it with salad, more salad than meat, almost as if the salad and the sauce is the star, that's why i prefer the UK chip shop style kebab (but obviously i keep trialling the german one...) they dont do a chicken kebab and the meat is relatively bland 

about the only thing GDK gets right are the little kebab meat and chips boxes, you do get them here

there was a roast beef kebab house in bonn, absolutely incredible, Podolski also had a chain there which was decent but the queue was mental rain or shine no matter what time of the day, he must make some money off them, they sell podolski kebab flavour crisps and cook it home frozen kebab range all kinds of stuff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

saw them at christmas, there are 2 chains trying to take over, one is GDK cant remember the other, didn't eat at either because they both looked shite, they've completely missed the point, they're not german and they're not even what i would call a turkish style kebab, i honestly dont know what they're meant to be, the bread is wrong, the meat is wrong, the salad is wrong, maybe the sauces are ok

GDK - 

Healthy Doner Kebab Chain, German Doner Kebab, Is Set To Open Five ...

actual german kebab - 

Hamtramck's Balkan House only local spot for German-style doner kebab

they pack it with salad, more salad than meat, almost as if the salad and the sauce is the star, that's why i prefer the UK chip shop style kebab (but obviously i keep trialling the german one...) they dont do a chicken kebab and the meat is relatively bland 

about the only thing GDK gets right are the little kebab meat and chips boxes, you do get them here

there was a roast beef kebab house in bonn, absolutely incredible, Podolski also had a chain there which was decent but the queue was mental rain or shine no matter what time of the day, he must make some money off them, they sell podolski kebab flavour crisps and cook it home frozen kebab range all kinds of stuff

Almost an ice rink in the second photo. 

I've been. They were pretty nice, but if I'm totally honest, the kebabs there are like sanitised versions of doners you get from a chip shop. Slightly less chance of rat anus in the Kebab meat, but also slightly less flavour. Certainly a decent option for food on the go if you don't fancy maccies or KFC though.

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Can't get a better kebab than in Germany. 

14 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Can't get a better kebab than in Germany. 

I dunno, I still can't look past the first cut of a chicken tikka kebab where the char is packed with flavour

The problem with chip shop kebabs is they deteriorate in quality the smaller they get, you get the dregs and it's usually dry and not that great, German kebabs have more consistency

I only eat chicken kebabs in the UK, the "lamb" doner meat is lips and ass holes stuff, German kebab meat blows that out of the water  (but its not hard)

• Like 1

Doner Kebab as a sandwich that you and I know was invented in Germany!

The modern sandwich variant of döner kebab originated and was popularized in 1970s West Berlin by Turkish immigrants.[5][6][7] This was recognized by the Berlin-based Association of Turkish Doner Manufacturers in Europe, in 2011.[8] Nowadays there are more döner kebab stores in Berlin than in Istanbul

Wiki

• Thanks 1

Yeah you kind of take it for granted in the UK because we are far more multicultural (imo) with a lot more influences over our food

Kebab is king here* but then they kind of do Indian food but not well (Indian take aways that also offer Italian food... Nah not for me) and theres a fair few Asian places rather than Chinese or more specifically Cantonese (Hong Kong) which we're used to, the difference in Chinese food is stark, they'll throw in Thai and Vietnamese food too, where I used to be I'd say Vietnamese was more prevalent than Chinese, sushi is of course big, there's no southern fried chicken shops bar kfc that I've ever seen and KFC isn't popular... But nothing comes close to kebab, its not got a lot of competition, if you imagine the Asian influence and culture in brum I would say cologne is the same but with Turkish, there's like Turkish equivalents of the Soho Road

The craziest thing is there's nothing that influences the food here, burgers are popular, Mexican is popular, they do a fair bit "wrong" (sweetcorn in chilli con carne) but other than a couple of Italian dishes I've seen nothing else that's like a proper bastardised version of someone else's food where in the UK we do it all the time, they don't take say traditional Turkish spices or cooking methods and turn them in to something else like we do (tikka kebab as a prime example) they don't play they're really old fashioned and traditional

I would also say after 4 years of living here the connection with America is kind of there in culture and definitley in music and TV but not necessarily with food and definitley not in food culture

Cooked my in laws rendang curry tonight, I'm not sure if they knew what to make of it

* well actually bakeries are, the equailavent of Greg's outnumber McDonald's by about 10:1, the bread culture is **** insane

Â