What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2021 at 12:32, GarethRDR said:

My greatest lockdown discovery/achievement has been the art of cooking pizzas in the frying pan/under the grill.  Theory behind it is you're essentially recreating the environment of a pizza oven, so you stretch out the dough, slap it on a frying pan on medium heat, top it whilst it's in the pan then after you've started to get that brown hue/dark flecks on the underside, stick the frying pan under your pre-heated grill on it's fiercest setting for about 2 minutes, then take it out and gently rotate the pizza 180 degrees and stick it back under for another 30 seconds.  The cheese winds up poaching in the pizza sauce which seems to be how you get that pizzeria look/taste, I swear the end result is as good as anything I could get from any of my local pizzerias.  I haven't bought a frozen pizza or ordered one from a takeout in months.

Following the success of this endeavour, I tried my hand at a calzone yesterday using the same pan/grill technique and the result was pretty much the same:

May be an image of pizza and indoor

Haven't gone as far as making my own dough yet, have just been using the Northern Dough co. frozen two-packs from the supermarket for ease of use (and to be honest they're nice enough that I'm not sure I'll bother looking into making dough).  Did try my hand at making pizza sauce with fresh san marzanos and the results were alright, but the best sauce I've found again is a pre-made one, the Mutti brand tins (strictly the "classic" one, not the "aromatica" one with the added herbs, they taint the flavour too much out of the can).  Tried various Galbani mozzarellas with decent results each time for both the moist balls (ooh-err etc.) and the drier blocks, as an extra flourish I've been grating some scamorza (smoked mozzarella) to finish and that's been really nice too.

So yeah, highly recommended if you fancy giving it a go.  Relatively quick and easy to throw together too, once you've got the hang of stretching and slapping the dough out.  Can't wait to get one of those outdoor pizza ovens and go full-pizza-rocket polisher.

Did this yesterday but moved from the pan to a pizza stone under the grill (heated in the oven first), easily the best pizza I’ve ever made. Proper Neapolitan style with a bit of char on the bottom, and I fermented the dough for over 24 hours as well. Thanks for tip!

• Like 1

I've just had hot dogs made with sausages hand made by our local butcher. 

They were fine and all but I mean it when I say I wouldn't swap them for Richmond. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2021 at 20:59, sidcow said:

Just had my first curry house curry in over a year.  Was brilliant. 

I had one a few weeks ago. The Lodge in Shenstone. Very nice it was :) 

I've got a table booked at Alchemilla this evening, a michellin star, fine dining restaurant in Nottingham. Haven't been in a couple of years now, and I'm so excited! I cheaped out a little last time, but as our first proper night out since last March, we're going all out for the 10 course tasting menu with wine pairings :D 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've got a table booked at Alchemilla this evening, a michellin star, fine dining restaurant in Nottingham. Haven't been in a couple of years now, and I'm so excited! I cheaped out a little last time, but as our first proper night out since last March, we're going all out for the 10 course tasting menu with wine pairings :D 

Wine? WINE? You've changed, man!

Enjoy :) 

• Haha 1

I absolutely never drink wine at home and usually wouldn't when out for a meal either, but at this kind of place, with how the meals are designed to perfectly complement the wine, it almost feels like an insult to decline and order a pint of Peroni instead

• Like 1

Cinnamon Graham churrios with coconut yoghurt, dessicated coconut, banana, raisins, some home made dark cherry and dark chocolate jam a friend made and a blob of Nutella on the side 

30 mins on the rower beforehand to justify it 

On 25/07/2021 at 15:04, sidcow said:

I've just had hot dogs made with sausages hand made by our local butcher. 

They were fine and all but I mean it when I say I wouldn't swap them for Richmond. 

Those are called bratwurst

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Curious as to what food I need to try while on vacation in London and Brum. Need suggestions

Without question a curry. But do a little research, you don't need the best as a curry is a curry but a place that gets good reviews. Also don't go for heat if it's not for you palate, go for flavour. The UK might be seen as all about Chips and Fish in the states, it isn't, it's Indian food. 

On 15/08/2021 at 06:34, Seat68 said:

Without question a curry. But do a little research, you don't need the best as a curry is a curry but a place that gets good reviews. Also don't go for heat if it's not for you palate, go for flavour. The UK might be seen as all about Chips and Fish in the states, it isn't, it's Indian food. 

id say you have to do both tbh, dont do fish and chips in london though, i wouldn't do it at a restaurant either

fry up 100%, sunday roast, i personally wouldn't be too bothered about shepherds pie its really easy to make yourself and the restaurants wont make it that much better, if you are out and about snacking (you need to seek out tesco meal deals, it'll be the cheapest way to eat in the day) try a pasty, jaffa cakes, bakewell tart, drink irn bru, eat cadburys and explore our biscuits such as hob nobs and the cakes usually from mr kipling, try things like coronation chicken sandwiches 

sounds a bit daft really...but spend an hour in a big tescos and just see what we do differently, i love that stuff when on holiday, usually end up with a basket full of terrible things

• Like 1

Â