The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I pronounce them borbon. Apparently its burbon. 

I always imagined they were named after the French & European Dynasty and not the Yankee hooch, so borbon would be closer to the correct pronuciation anglicised

Are you saying they should be pronounced the American way?

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

I always imagined they were named after the French & European Dynasty and not the Yankee hooch, so borbon would be closer to the correct pronuciation anglicised

Are you saying they should be pronounced the American way?

Apparently so. Never come across anyone that does.
I will investigate more.

It seems that the berbon pronouncers might be trying to make it a thing based on nothing. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've always pronounced them similarly to Bourton On The Water if you get my drift

Can of worms... 

• Haha 1

The Bour in Bourbon apparently comes from Bournville, the place of the biscuit's invention, and the bon comes from Bonn the birthplace of Dr. Hans Zehnloch it's inventor.

16 minutes ago, useless said:

The Bour in Bourbon apparently comes from Bournville, the place of the biscuit's invention, and the bon comes from Bonn the birthplace of Dr. Hans Zehnloch it's inventor.

Yeah but invented by Peak Freans in Bermondsey, how does that connect to Bournville?

Welcome to El Zen's virtual globetrotter quiz. This is your first destination:

You meet a man who calls himself George. He is holding  a wooden tool and invites you to travel to a particular borough where the house he famously built once stood. He is not personally worried about the pandemic, as he's been dead for nearly 73 years. The house he built has since been demolished and reconstructed by another George.  Our guide is wearing a navy hat, which might be new. When you reach your destination, George wants you to say hello to a Jenny, who is from the neighbourhood and has a close connection to a colleague of him. Where are we going? 

Edited by El Zen

Are we getting this Bourbon biscuit information from this website?

Biscuit People

Bourbon biscuit also referred to as Bourbon cream at times, does not get its name from the popular whiskey by the same name – Bourbon.  Although many may be tempted to think this is the source. And no, the biscuits do not contain any whiskey either. Neither does the name hail from the French-Italian ruling dynasty – House of Bourbon. Though many sources cite this as the origin of the name, it is not; the biscuits hail their name from a contraction of two names: Bourneville and Bonn.

but also...

The chocolate crunchy sandwich used to be known as the Creola, yet at some point during the 1930s an item administrator at Peek Freans - drawing no uncertainty on some ambiguously recalled social reference - chose that the name Bourbon sounded better even in light of the fact that it has a chronicled association. It sounds somewhat posher, somewhat French, and somewhat royal as well.  The name is derived from 'beurre bon', as they were originally made with butter from the top of the milk, ie best butter.

and also...

The Bourbon may be a popular biscuit delicacy but the treat was actually invented by a German – Dr. Hans Zehnloch in 1930 while working for Cadbury's R&D department. The professor came up with a trademark on the biscuit whereby each would bear 10 holes; drawing from the fact that Zehnloch literally translates into ’10 holes’.

On to where the term Bourbon actually came from, it is a contraction of their place of invention – BOURnville and professor Zehnloch's hometown – BONN.

If only machine's could read the bollocks they stick out on the internet

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

You meet a man who calls himself George. He is holding  a wooden tool and invites you to travel to a particular borough where the house he famously built once stood. He is not personally worried about the pandemic, as he's been dead for nearly 73 years. The house he built has since been demolished and reconstructed by another George.  Our guide is wearing a navy hat, which might be new. When you reach your destination, George wants you to say hello to a Jenny, who is from the neighbourhood and has a close connection to a colleague of him. Where are we going? 

Is the first George, George Orwell 

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Is the first George, George Orwell 

Nope! This George is definitely best known by his nickname, but George is one of his two given names. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Unpopular opinion: bourbons are overrated. Not so much chocolatey as just... brown. Meh. 

I like them, but I have the sense that they’re not particularly loved. They’re just ubiquitous and more appealing than a plain rich tea or digestive.

10 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Nope! This George is definitely best known by his nickname, but George is one of his two given names. 

Is it 72 years prior to this year or last year?

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

Babe Ruth, baseball bat. Yankee stadium, the house that ruth built. Jenny, from the block. 

The Bronx?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Babe Ruth, baseball bat. Yankee stadium, the house that ruth built. Jenny, from the block. 

The Bronx?

Very good! 

Just now, Seat68 said:

I am, it has to be said, a master at google. 

Googling is allowed for these. You had to know what to google, which shows you know your stuff. 

• Like 1

Â