Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I wouldn't mind Anderson. As others have said, he's not good enough for Man Utd, but he would definately be good enough for a mid-table side like us. I don't know how he'd play between the midfield and strikers though.

I'd love Sigurdsson or Holtby, but I just don't see that being realistic. Liverpool and Spurs were both in for Sigurdsson, so why would he drop down to us?

He would fit better at a side like Everton/ Swansea/ Newcastle, instead of a team constantly battling relegation.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think it's more likely to be a player in a team positioned 10th-20th.

Maybe one of the better performers in a lower-half-of-the-table. Possibly someone who's contract is coming to an end?

I don't think Spurs would loan him to Everton or Newcastle as they would both be considered rivals to get into the European places. Swansea would definitely be a possibility as Michu is injured for a few weeks and he knows the setup there. I don't think we'd have much of a chance signing him permanently but on loan, why not ?

I'd be disappointed if Anderson was the mystery loan-signing. He has been extremely poor at United since he signed and quite doubtful if he'd make any real impact here.

Shame how it has panned out for him as he really was one of the best prospects in the world while at Porto.

I'd be happy with Powell on loan, purely because of his goal in the Playoff final against Cheltenham town.... what a goal! Was a bit dissapointing as I was there watching Cheltenham but hey ho!

I think the actual loan signing will be Lescott.

I'd be happy with Powell on loan, purely because of his goal in the Playoff final against Cheltenham town.... what a goal! Was a bit dissapointing as I was there watching Cheltenham but hey ho!

I think the actual loan signing will be Lescott.

G'warn the Robbins!  :hooray:

Never been a fan of loan signings but I guess because of our owner survival is the number 1 goal and a good loan signing will help with that.

But then where does that leave us the following year? We have 4 months of a quality player with no chance of matching that quality in trying to replace him the following season. Kyle walker is a perfect example of this and west brom habe and soon Everton will experience this with lukaku.

I kinda see what you are saying here. Possibly, if the loan signing were one to have a decent impact on results though, it could serve to show what Lambert's squad is fully capable of with the addition of a bit of quality and Randy would have evidence to further back him a bit more in the summer window. Not saying that's fully the case, but aside from helping us finish higher in the table, that's a potential benefit of a loan. I also believe that if you improve the quality of players in your squad, it will help lift the confidence/form of others, which is something we need at the moment. For example, a quality attacking midfielder and holding midfielder coming in would more than certainly raise the performances of Benteke and Delph. 

And we don't hang around either. It's not like MON where our window opened a day before everyone else's closed. We'll go into this one prepared and the deals will be done. We can (and probably will) argue over the quality of the targets, but not about the decisiveness and the manner of how we acquired them.

• Like 1

And we don't hang around either. It's not like MON where our window opened a day before everyone else's closed. We'll go into this one prepared and the deals will be done. We can (and probably will) argue over the quality of the targets, but not about the decisiveness and the manner of how we acquired them.

Agree, another thing I like about our manager.

• Like 1

@ Biskitt & Isa, I was actually talking about Anderson/ Sigurdsson as permanent signings.

I have no idea who the loan could be. I'm more interested in the permanent signing tbh.

Is it not Paul Faulkner who deals with it? Lambert hands a list over and Faulkner/Lerner go get them. In terms of buying players, they make a good team.

Is it not Paul Faulkner who deals with it? Lambert hands a list over and Faulkner/Lerner go get them. In terms of buying players, they make a good team.

Yes but Lambert seems to make his mind up and hand over his list to Falkner a lot earlier in the window than O'Neil ever did.  

Last January we signed two players on the 31st January.

I think it's possible that MON had more control over transfers and the resulting wages than anyone has since. That's one of the mistakes Lerner made and then learned from. Don't give so much trust to the manager by letting him sign blank cheques for wages. The fact our deals were done so late, even though PF & RL were available back then also lends itself to the notion that MON was in much more control of transfers than i) he should have been and ii) any manager has been since.

Last January we signed two players on the 31st January.

I figured someone would miss the point. Going into a transfer window prepared does not preclude you from buying later on. It just means you get your initial list done in a timely manner. You can then buy late at your leisure.

Â