Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

And we don't hang around either. It's not like MON where our window opened a day before everyone else's closed. We'll go into this one prepared and the deals will be done. We can (and probably will) argue over the quality of the targets, but not about the decisiveness and the manner of how we acquired them.

Agree, another thing I like about our manager.

Is it not Paul Faulkner who deals with it? Lambert hands a list over and Faulkner/Lerner go get them. In terms of buying players, they make a good team.

Benteke, Bowery, Westwood, Bennett, Sylla and Kozak were all very late buys, on deadline day or a couple of days before, in the case of Bennett.  And two of them are the most expensive players he's bought.

So curious as to how you know MON was unprepared if the date they were signed doesn't indicate anything?

You are a curious fella but when I use words like 'it's possible' and you respond with how I can 'know' these things, you can understand why I can't be arsed entering into a discussion to clarify things you've misread.
  • Like 3

Benteke, Bowery, Westwood, Bennett, Sylla and Kozak were all very late buys, on deadline day or a couple of days before, in the case of Bennett.  And two of them are the most expensive players he's bought.

Just to add balance to that list. 6 of the 7 players bought this summer were bought in June. Only Kozak was late. And half of the 8 bought last summer were early too.

Just to add balance to that list. 6 of the 7 players bought this summer were bought in June. Only Kozak was late. And half of the 8 bought last summer were early too.

Thank god we got Tonev in early, that's all I can say.

Thank god we got Tonev in early, that's all I can say.

Absolutely! :D

and ...

We can (and probably will) argue over the quality of the targets, but not about the decisiveness and the manner of how we acquired them.

:)

Yes, but at the moment we desperately need a midfielder (or two) who can cope with the pace of the prem and doesn`t need time to fit in

Obviously you'd know better then me but from what I've seen of him, I wouldn't have thought that he would have a problem adapting to this league. Even Sylla didn't really struggle in this regard and he is infinitely worse than Kouyate. I think our midfield is so shockingly dire (and that point can't be stressed enough) that even Kouyate not at his best would still represent an improvement. He wouldn't be any worse at centre-back than Baker or Herd either.

It is just speculation though. How much do you think you guys would sell him for? Because I'd assume he is a bit out of our price-range and will most likely receive offers from better clubs anyway.

If we are looking for a player in that mould, I think Mbodj is more realistic.

Well it's hard to tell how much Anderlecht would sell for. The've said they will do anything to keep him in Brussels until the summer, so the bid will have to be high enough for them to consider selling him, I'd say around £6-7M. There has been an offer from Wolfsburg already but Kouyate himself has expressed his desire to play in the prem so I think if we put in a bid high enough he might come to us

Essien on loan?

Going to piggyback your comment here a little.

Loans from the teams in Europe, or currently fighting for a European place next season, will almost solely depend on whether they sign anyone themselves first. Those clubs can't afford to decrease their squad size with potential injuries and fatigue coming up this Spring.

For instance, I imagine Aspas will be leaving Liverpool this window but they are very unlikely to let him go until they have another body for the same position in in case they get more injuries (in this instance the rumour is they're signing Tello from Barcelona.)

So whilst Essien would be a good addition (although I'm not sure any potential loan wages would best be spent on a defensive minded midfielder currently) unless Chelsea have a ready made replacement currently in the squad or coming through their youth setup (which is unlikely as they've already shipped most of their good youngsters out on loan for a full season) they're unlikely to let him leave. Same goes for the likes Holtby and Sigurdsson which I have seen mentioned in here over the past week or so.

Of all those that have been mentioned I think Anderson from Manchester United would be the most likely loan signing from a "top club." Whilst already hardly picked (seems to be out of shape constantly to me) United will likely buy a high profile central midfielder this January, dropping the Brazilian even further down the pecking order.

Whilst I'm here, I think Kiyotake this summer is looking more of a sure thing, if we still have an interest. Nuremberg are having an awful season, having not won a league game, and are in the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. So whether they manage to stay up or go down, I don't think they can resist an interest for him a second year running. But they wont sell him this window. Too important to them staying in the league.

Edited by Wes
  • Like 1

Yes, but at the moment we desperately need a midfielder (or two) who can cope with the pace of the prem and doesn`t need time to fit in

Obviously you'd know better then me but from what I've seen of him, I wouldn't have thought that he would have a problem adapting to this league. Even Sylla didn't really struggle in this regard and he is infinitely worse than Kouyate. I think our midfield is so shockingly dire (and that point can't be stressed enough) that even Kouyate not at his best would still represent an improvement. He wouldn't be any worse at centre-back than Baker or Herd either.

It is just speculation though. How much do you think you guys would sell him for? Because I'd assume he is a bit out of our price-range and will most likely receive offers from better clubs anyway.

Well it's hard to tell how much Anderlecht would sell for. The've said they will do anything to keep him in Brussels until the summer, so the bid will have to be high enough for them to consider selling him, I'd say around £6-7M. There has been an offer from Wolfsburg already but Kouyate himself has expressed his desire to play in the prem so I think if we put in a bid high enough he might come to us

£6-7m would represent good value, though I'm not sure we would have enough to spend all that on one player sadly.

Where does kouyate play ??

Whilst I'm here, I think Kiyotake this summer is looking more of a sure thing, if we still have an interest. Nuremberg are having an awful season, having not won a league game, and are in the relegation zone in the Bundesliga. So whether they manage to stay up or go down, I don't think they can resist an interest for him a second year running. But they wont sell him this window. Too important to them staying in the league.

How can Nuremberg be half way through the season and still not won a single game.

"NurembergTalk" must be going apocalyptic.

• Like 1

How can Nuremberg be half way through the season and still not won a single game.

... and NOT be bottom of the league either!

Belgium

• Like 1

Amazingly despite this, they aren't cut adrift. Only four points off 15th and three points off 16th (the relegation play-off spot).

Belgium
position I meant ???

Â