Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Tom Cleverly? Jheeeze.

GTFO.

2.5 million and 25k a week Hoolahan it is then. Waste of money.

So in your opinion we should not sign Hoolahan, even if that is the only valid opinion for us?

Instead we should moon over Tom Clevely who for a million (or for £10m) reasons will not be joining us

Get real!

Whoever is suggesting Cleverley would be a possible target is smoking something, probably crack. Most likely we are going to end up with some League One player PL think has potential, ffs.

Cleverley is wank btw.

Edited by Avflife

Eh no, he has scored important goals and adapted really quick to the league so it was actually a really good signing.

I'll give you that he has scored important goals, but he has contributed very little else so I don't see how you can say he has adapted well.

We already had a player who could score goals but not do anything else, why not just keep Bent for the season if that was all that was required.

Please everyone just stop it with the talk of Cleverley. Would cost too much in wages, would cost too much in his transfer fee, definitely wouldn't want to come to us, shite player and seems like an absolute bell.

From now on, no talk of Cleverley will take place in this thread.

gandalf1.gif

• Like 1

Please everyone just stop it with the talk of Cleverley. Would cost too much in wages, would cost too much in his transfer fee, definitely wouldn't want to come to us, shite player and seems like an absolute bell.

From now on, no talk of Cleverley will take place in this thread.

gandalf1.gif

You shall not pass, same movie different scene lol.

The way I see our current plight at attracting players is this.....

If our funds are as limited as many have suggested on here then who can we realistically attract to the club?

Is there any real quality in the Championship or lower that will give us the lift we need in the positions we need to fill for the money we have available?

For example,

Knockaert at Leicester? Would cost £7m plus I would guess.

Vokes at Burnley? See above.

Hughes at Derby? See above.

Chalobah at Forest? Probably £4m plus

I am sure there are many more decent attacking midfielders out there but they are, you would imagine, well beyond our limited budget at the moment.

How would you sell the club at the moment to these young, talented and gifted type of players in our current form and playing style/statistics? I have no idea to be honest on either of these questions.

So what about the Premier league?

Already linked strongly with Hoolahan but will Norwich ever deal with us fairly in the the transfer market? I guess no never in a month of sundays.

So who else is there that we could realistically attract to villa park?

People have mentioned Lescott, Holtby, Mata(Hahahaha), Defoe(shocker), Milner, Young, Guidetti, Essien, De Bruyne, Ba, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Etc. Etc. but I see not a hope in hells chance of any of these calibre of players wanting to come on loan to us. 

Then of course there is the fact that even if it was remotely possible any of these names were tempted at the promise of playing time with the up coming World Cup to think about where would the money come from for their inflated wages unless the parent football club will subsidise a massive chunk of it?

So we look at the less favourable leagues in Europe and possibly farther afield? But who is out there realistically within our budget and wage structure that would have the required impact?

Kiyotake? Here we go again (Would love him here by the way).

Defour? See above.

Have I missed anybody out that we have been even remotely linked with?

Are there any diamonds in the rough that we could polish up into the finished article? Instead of Lambert trying to polish the turds he has already purchased!

I just hope when everyone looks at the bigger picture of this transfer window how difficult it actually will be to get a bit of quality into our ranks with the current restraints in place. I am at a loss as to the way to go if I am honest. Either we settle for what we have until the summer and hope to god we can pull off one or two little bits of business like Hoolahan, or we get Lerner to open his wallet again and go for it whilst some players are actually available.

Can't honestly see any business happening this window though and it sickens me. I hope and pray we stay up with what we have got, that Vlaar gets fully fit and Benteke finds his scoring boots again or I fear we are well and truly F****d this season.

Rant over from a disillusioned villain.

Ah the insight of football forums, especially against English players not too popular among fans of other clubs.

Tom Cleverley just turned 24 years and he played 22 league games for the Champions last season, as well as 7 caps for England in 2013.

This season he has 16 games out of 21 in the league, although he is not the one to carry the team. When he has better players around him he will offer them a lot of energy and make their jobs a lot easier. Now, I am not saying he is the best player in the league but I can easily conclude a few things:

1. He is still young and very much a part of a squad that is MUCH better than ours. Which raises the question; why the hell would he leave Manchester United for Aston Villa?

2. Why would he leave in the middle of a WC season? He is getting attention and enough games to be in the sight of Roy Hodgson, he wouldn't even come to watch him at Villa Park

I have nothing against suggestions, but please make them a bit more realistic. And at least pick a player that is not getting games! Anderson and Zaha are somewhat gettable from United, but only an idiot would think Hernandez, Cleverley, Kagawa and Nani were available for a loan. Same with Ashley Young, James Milner and Juan Mata (are you kidding me?).

...thank f**k you posted this! I thought I'd signed into highcroft.com

Eh no, he has scored important goals and adapted really quick to the league so it was actually a really good signing.

I'll give you that he has scored important goals, but he has contributed very little else so I don't see how you can say he has adapted well.

We already had a player who could score goals but not do anything else, why not just keep Bent for the season if that was all that was required.

Bent is lazy, Kozak works his socks off and also runs the channels as well as scoring important goals.  Fair enough he isnt the most gifted footballer technically but he is smart and if he had better players around him I believe he will be great.  Truth is, Lambert has been proved right on that transfer as Kozak came in and done the business when Benteke was out. 

• Like 3

In my opinion Kozak wasn't needed, yes it's great that he's scored a few goals, but let's not get carried away, he's hardly set the PL on fire, and the money could gave gone towards an AM , for example, the Tonev and Kozak money and wages might well gave hot us Kiyotake or someone who could actually make a difference week in week out.

Kozak is our joint top scorer and has proven to be important when Benteke was out. HH actually said it was somewhere around Euro 5.5m and he's an important member of the squad.

And when people mention Tonev and Helenius, it's impossible to get a 100% hit rate at the best of times, let alone with the budget we have.  Hindsight give us a great investor!  Had Tonev worked out, maybe we wouldn't have needed an AM.

I for one am glad we bought Kozak. I just hope our next purchases are in the Benteke / Okore / Kozak mold now that the squad has bodies in there.  

• Like 2

He was important when benteke was out? An AM would have been important with benteke in or with benteke out. Buying a limited back up striker for so much was a mistake.

Yes but he was bought for next years uefa cup ;)

You have to laugh.....Tom Cleverley, Premier League winner and England international, but strangely not good enough for us even if we could afford him ? Jesus wept, what do you drongos smoke ?

Have you seen us lately ? We look like a bunch of individuals who've never even met, let alone trained together. But let's keep dismissing guys who can actually play in the vain hope we sign a Jap midfielder plying his trade in the bottom half of the Bundesliga or a Belgian who barely starts in the Portuguese league. A bit more reality and a little less Football Manager I think....

• Like 2

You have to laugh.....Tom Cleverley, Premier League winner and England international, but strangely not good enough for us even if we could afford him ? Jesus wept, what do you drongos smoke ?

Have you seen us lately ? We look like a bunch of individuals who've never even met, let alone trained together. But let's keep dismissing guys who can actually play in the vain hope we sign a Jap midfielder plying his trade in the bottom half of the Bundesliga or a Belgian who barely starts in the Portuguese league. A bit more reality and a little less Football Manager I think....

And yet I wouldn't go anywhere near Cleverley. I think that says more about Cleverley than it says about us as fans.

• Like 3

He was important when benteke was out? An AM would have been important with benteke in or with benteke out. Buying a limited back up striker for so much was a mistake.

Yes he was.

Lambert has been looking at trying to get in a quality creative midfielder i.e(Kiyotake, Belhanda). either of those would of been looking for fairly high wages and probably around 10m transfer fee so its kinda obvious why it didnt work out. Players that play that position well cost a lot of money.  Now he is trying to get Hoolahan in as he shouldn't cost much in the way of a transfer fee and probably would be happy with 30k per week and a 2 and a half year deal.  

I'm sure if Lambert had a choice he would be signing a much younger player to play their but it looks to me like he is trying his best to get what he can with the available funds.  Maybe he should of went all out for Hoolahan in the summer and maybe he tried but was told to do one by Norwich and is now trying again and going public with it to try and force the issue especially now that Hoolahan isn't getting his game.

Â