Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that the Kyle Naughton link came from a journo reading through this forum, seeing that a good number of posters don't rate our full backs and then picking the name of an out of favour full back from a better performing club out of the hat. It's not a priority and I can't see it happening at all. Sells papers, mind.

What about a bid for Cleverly from United. Surely better than El Ahmadi.

This would be problematic for me considering I endlessly make fun of Cleverly to my United friends.

I know what your saying but their must be something there if all the Man U staff think that there is a great player there somewhere. He might be a bit like Ramsey was for Arsenal a couple of seasons ago. I read Savage say he should be sold and he is not a fans favourite for united. Could be a good player for us. Hardworking and moves the ball well.

Naughton would be an improvement. That would mean 4 fullbacks signed. Makes it harder to defend the constraints he's had to work under.

Is it better to buy 2 decent fullbacks with no cover or 4 average full backs?

With the luck we seem to have with injury's i'd say cover is more important. 

• Like 1

Naughton would be an improvement. That would mean 4 fullbacks signed. Makes it harder to defend the constraints he's had to work under.

Is it better to buy 2 decent fullbacks with no cover or 4 average full backs?

With the luck we seem to have with injury's i'd say cover is more important. 

Well we need a squad so yeah we needed to buy what we have bought imo. Just need the manager to be allowed to sign quality now and we will have a decent team.

• Like 1

Even though we need another two decent full-backs, whatever minor funds we have should be spent on a number 10, centre-back on loan and possibly a DM or winger. Apparently we couldn't even afford Wells from Bradford, if that is true we are going to be playing Brighton next season in the Championship, least its a decent day-out  <_<

I'm sorry but where have you heard we couldn't afford Wells?

From my mate who works in a chip shop where PF goes to ;) Embarrassing from Villa.

We only have 1 recognised RB, so getting Naughton would make sense. However I would have thought CB cover and a AMC would have been Lamberts priority.

Our first priority is midfield - either a holding player so that Delph can be pushed forward or preferably a decent 10. 

The need for CB cover depends on the fitness prospects of Vlaar and the estimated comeback date for Okore. It's also debatable whether we could attract anyone better than Baker, Clark or even Lowton(?) if we are only willing to spend £1m or so. A loanee is a nice idea, but reliable premier league CB loaness are notoriously thin on the ground during January window

It would be nice to have another option up front or even wide given Kozak's absence but again getting anything more than a 'project' will be difficult with the peanuts we seem to be willing to spend

If we have only got say £3m to spend I'd like a decent No.10 but if we can't identify one then I still think Naughton would be a slight step up on what we've got - he's also played at CB and/or as a holding midfielder for Sheff U, Norwich and Spurs so whilst not the midfield answer we need he would offer some flexibility

WHU willingness to pay £90k a week for Lescott reallys gives a flavour where we stand. Weighed up against the fact the Houlahan at £1m or so would be seen as a result for us gives a good indication of how difficult Lamberts job is

Ah the insight of football forums, especially against English players not too popular among fans of other clubs.

Tom Cleverley just turned 24 years and he played 22 league games for the Champions last season, as well as 7 caps for England in 2013.

This season he has 16 games out of 21 in the league, although he is not the one to carry the team. When he has better players around him he will offer them a lot of energy and make their jobs a lot easier. Now, I am not saying he is the best player in the league but I can easily conclude a few things:

1. He is still young and very much a part of a squad that is MUCH better than ours. Which raises the question; why the hell would he leave Manchester United for Aston Villa?

2. Why would he leave in the middle of a WC season? He is getting attention and enough games to be in the sight of Roy Hodgson, he wouldn't even come to watch him at Villa Park

I have nothing against suggestions, but please make them a bit more realistic. And at least pick a player that is not getting games! Anderson and Zaha are somewhat gettable from United, but only an idiot would think Hernandez, Cleverley, Kagawa and Nani were available for a loan. Same with Ashley Young, James Milner and Juan Mata (are you kidding me?).

• Like 1

What about a bid for Cleverly from United. Surely better than El Ahmadi.

Dream on - Cleverly would be well out of our price range both fee and wage-wise

Ah the insight of football forums, especially against English players not too popular among fans of other clubs.

Tom Cleverley just turned 24 years and he played 22 league games for the Champions last season, as well as 7 caps for England in 2013.

This season he has 16 games out of 21 in the league, although he is not the one to carry the team. When he has better players around him he will offer them a lot of energy and make their jobs a lot easier. Now, I am not saying he is the best player in the league but I can easily conclude a few things:

1. He is still young and very much a part of a squad that is MUCH better than ours. Which raises the question; why the hell would he leave Manchester United for Aston Villa?

2. Why would he leave in the middle of a WC season? He is getting attention and enough games to be in the sight of Roy Hodgson, he wouldn't even come to watch him at Villa Park

I have nothing against suggestions, but please make them a bit more realistic. And at least pick a player that is not getting games! Anderson and Zaha are somewhat gettable from United, but only an idiot would think Hernandez, Cleverley, Kagawa and Nani were available for a loan. Same with Ashley Young, James Milner and Juan Mata (are you kidding me?).

Well there seems to be a few different opinions.

One guy says he is shit and worse than Delph, another thinks people are idiots for suggesting such players.

I read an article where it was suggested they should sell Cleverly. Therefore the suggestion.

Â