Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I went to see Wolves away at Tranmere and I actually think Griffiths would be better off playing in behind the strikers. However, it would be a completely unnecessary signing given our strength in depth up top! As it's the Metro I think we can rule it out.

Also, on the homesickness... would that go away if he was at a premier league club? [/cynicism]

I think it's hoolahan or nothing. Either way a pretty shit window when you think some have told us about 'the plan' to spend again.

I think the only person who knows what we will be spending is Randy Lerner. I would have hoped for somebody to come in before Wednesday's game, hopefully that will still happen but I am glad we strengthened our left back position. It doesn't help us score goals though or bring creativity to the final third, which is something we really need. We know for sure that Lambert has identified several targets, most of which he said aren't possible which is a shame, so if its Hoolahan or nobody then that is down to Lerner and I'll be pretty disappointed if we don't even get him.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 2

Hoolahan seems to be the only confirmed link that has leaked.

All the other targets are just journalists pissing in the wind.

No-one new about Holt or Bertrand.

In fact Helenius, Tonev, Luna and Bacuna all happened quickly with no real ITKs beforehand.

I'm sure we've enquired about loans like Zaha and Lescott and laughed off the comedy wages and made various enquiries about other players. But everytime a club or an agent links us to their player it is affectively means that we will not sign that player. Norwich are using the press to try and discredit us as much as possible, everything Lambert has said i feel he has been forced to because information around the transfer has already gone public.

I don't think getting any development/young with potential style targets from foreign leagues or lower English leagues - is a priority right now. Unless of course an opportunity arose around someone we'd been tracking for a while and our hand was forced.

I would have thought Lerner would want Lambert to make the likes of Tonev, Bowery and Helenius 'work' before he green-lit anymore cheap but risky transfers. Maybe even play Gardener and Johnson before leaving them both to rot in the squad while a load of other untried and untested Villa's Got Talent hopefuls wheel in.

It is possible we are already preparing for life without Benteke hence the million striker links, but aside from an experienced midfielder on fairly middle to high wages I can't really see us bringing in many more till the summer.

• Like 1

That's a fair point. I don't necessarily think we will sign anyone else if not Hoolahan but a lot of our signings have come completely out of the blue. Just because there are no concrete links with anyone else doesn't mean there aren't any deals in the pipeline.

Is it just me who has never heard of some of the players we are self linking ourselves with?

Nope, same here! Although tbf I'd not heard of half our team before we'd signed them!

Only ones I'd heard of were the English lower league players as I go to the odd game :P

Â