Why the UK is the best place to live?

ender4

My best mate is very seriously thinking about emigrating from Birmingham, UK to Melbourne, Australia.

He's got it into his head that the UK is a terrible place to live (as believes everything the media tell him).

Its my mission to convince him that the grass will not necessarily be greener on the other side.

So i'm looking for reasons why the UK is the best place to live for him...

so please help with reasons why Bham or UK is great and Melbourne or Australia will be rubbish.

background:

he was born in bham, and lived in bham all his life.

he is in his mid-thirties

He is a dentist, and can be a dentist in Aus without any extra studying. 

he is married with one 5 year-old kid

he is very well off

his wife doesn't work

he qualifies with enough points to become a citizen of Aus.

The best argument I can give for living in Brum, is family, friends and the Villa. I don't live in Brum anymore, and I don't think I'll ever move back. I think you'll find it hard to convince him to stay, if his heart is set on moving away. It may turn out to be the best thing he's ever done.

Sorry to tell you this,

I was born in Birmingham and having lived in Birmingham for most of my life apart from a 30 months period of living and working in Melbourne Australia, I'd say you're gonna be hard pushed to make Brum and the UK a better prospect that Melbourne and Australia and I actually think the UK and Brum are not the terrible places they are made out to be.

People always forget that there are some fantastic places to live in the UK and get stuck with the idea that the choice is only between where they live now and somewhere very different and very far away.

So anyone who decides to move to Melbourne Australia can at the very least be accused of a massive deficit in imagination because it is not even the best place to live in Australia.

I would never blame anyone for wanting to leave Birmingham or even the UK but they certainly should do a reasonable amount of research before they decide.

Such an unimaginative choice as Melbourne suggests that someone wants to leave where they are more than they want to be specifically somewhere else. 

Australia is just like the UK only 3 times more expensive and it is too hot and dusty!!!

Of course a lot of people earn 3 times as much!

As for the Villa Fox Sports have nearly all of the Premier League games on TV all be it in the middle of the night in Melbourne.

Their Hyundai League is tosh though as they play it in their summer and 40 degrees Celius is not the best conditions for fast flowing football but they won't have it clash with the AFL or NRL which are their winter sports.

And if he's thinking it any better for immigrants think again they have all the ones we get as well. However they tend to be far more open in their hatred of them as it is the most racist country I have been to and some of the words I heard used in an open plan office of a large multi-national company shocked me.

However it is the closest to living in the UK of anywhere in the world, for instance they drive on the correct side of the road but they wear thongs on their feet and trousers are pants apparently? If an Aussie calls you a POM just return the favour and call him a Skippy. They have HP sauce, eat copious amounts of pies (especially party pies) barbeque everything, have a lot of brilliant sounding V8 cars and Utes.

They have a Cadbury chocolate factory that makes a poor imitation of the real stuff from Brum. All sweets are called Lollies?

I want to move to Sweden and have loads of kids based purely on the fact that men get 9 months paternity leave.  I like gender equality :)

I want to move to Sweden and have loads of sex based purely on the fact that the place is stuffed full of nubile blonds and saunas. I like casual stereotyping. :) 

Many of my friends have moved abroad, most enjoy a better quality of life tbh.

Strangely my closest friend that lives in Oz and has an amazing job/pad/lifestyle/wage would prefer to be back in London.

She doesn't like the general attitude, particularly towards women.

My best mate is very seriously thinking about emigrating from Birmingham, UK to Melbourne, Australia.

He's got it into his head that the UK is a terrible place to live (as believes everything the media tell him).

Its my mission to convince him that the grass will not necessarily be greener on the other side.

So i'm looking for reasons why the UK is the best place to live for him...

so please help with reasons why Bham or UK is great and Melbourne or Australia will be rubbish.

background:

he was born in bham, and lived in bham all his life.

he is in his mid-thirties

He is a dentist, and can be a dentist in Aus without any extra studying. 

he is married with one 5 year-old kid

he is very well off

his wife doesn't work

he qualifies with enough points to become a citizen of Aus.

He should be on the next plane if he's got a lick of sense.

Sounds like he just wants a change.

The cost of living is rising to British proportions, so unless his job is paid better he won't nessaserally improve his life in that ways. Maybe he's just looking for nice weather? Or maybe the future of his children, because our education is a mess and youth unemployment, isn't going to get any better anytime soon.

Without knowing the exact reason or reasons why he wants to go we can't really say why he should stay. I've know 3 family's go over...2 have returned and 1 family is very happy there and one of the returnees kids have gone back because youth employment opportunities.

Me and my wife are moving to Canada in 3/4 years.

Told parents and brother and sister in law.

Brother is ok with it and quite supportive.

Dad is the same, mother just doesn't understand and says she'll never be excited for us.. Hard to take, but when we have kiddies, I want to give them the best opportunities in life, not spend £30,000 (minimum) for uni and have no job or prospects, like myself.. 

We're offski, don't know whether to move to BC (lots of ex pats there) or live in Ontario (around Toronto). 

• Like 1

Melbourne >>>>>>>>>> anywhere in the UK.

Your friend should go, and you should encourage him instead of trying to stop him.

Oh yea, was gonna say this.

You should be supportive of him trying to improve his life, not be selfish by making his decision a more difficult one.  

It'll be the hardest choice he's ever made, he knows what he'll be leaving behind.

Â