Eat

Celery

Eat

Sausage

Sandwiches

And

Remain

Young

I'm sure you can extrapolate that out to necessarily all by yourself next time.  Don't say you never learn anything useful on VT. ;)  

I would like to visit there sometime but i frickin hate spiders, even if I saw a big one my day would be ruined. Best country I have been to is actually the states, I loved it there. UK is not a bad place in my eyes, it`s the same crap here, frickin idiots running the country. Our main capital has become a shithole, largely because of bad immigration. I don`t like this place anymore :-/ 

Still, gonna visit there in the future, I have mostly heard positive things about it, from the places to the people. 

I don't recall seeing a spider even once in the year I was in Melbourne. It's the magpies you have to watch out for.

it's the Melbourne ear spider you've got to worry about

crawls in your ear whilst you sleep, lays 2,000 eggs that hatch years later, your head explodes spewing baby Melbourne Ear Spiders everywhere

sure sign there's an ear spider around? no other spiders will come near the place....

elite-daily-spider-ear.jpg

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

Melbourne has HUGE spiders. Huntsman spiders. They are harmless though. Unless one scurries across your foot while you are driving.

Here in Perth we have plenty of redbacks. I had one in my barbecue at the start of last summer. Had fun watching that bitch burn :D

I did vaguely research moving there myself a couple of years ago but decided against it. I recall reading a few articles in the UK press at the time covering the large numbers of Poms now returning home to the UK.

Link

Link2

great links, thanks for that.  I'm going to send them on to him.

By the way, your topic title isn't a question but it has a question mark.

pedant  :P

I put the "is" in the wrong place - it should have said "why is the UK the best place to live?" rather than "why the UK is the best place to live"

When we were looking to Emigrate as research we spoke to a couple we met through mutual friends who had given up on emigration to Australia because of the wife's parents concerted efforts to put them on a guilt trip, how they wouldn't see the grand kids grow older, how unfair on the grand kids to lose out on grandparents and other family, Aunts Uncles etc, So after decided not to emigrate, about 7 years later the wife's parents retired and emigrated to Australia on a retirement visa at the drop of a hat without a second thought or consideration for anyone else's feeling, leaving behind 5 children and 11 grandchildren,

This should be in the dictionary under "selfish".

Sounds like he just wants a change.

The cost of living is rising to British proportions, so unless his job is paid better he won't nessaserally improve his life in that ways. Maybe he's just looking for nice weather? Or maybe the future of his children, because our education is a mess and youth unemployment, isn't going to get any better anytime soon.

Without knowing the exact reason or reasons why he wants to go we can't really say why he should stay. I've know 3 family's go over...2 have returned and 1 family is very happy there and one of the returnees kids have gone back because youth employment opportunities.

he went to Aus on holiday and loved it.  He thinks thats what it'll be like when he lives there.

as for why he wants to move out of the UK in the first place:

he's read about 'all the crime in the UK', though none of it has ever affected him

he heard how bad our education is, even though his daughter goes to a top private school, so wouldn't affect her.

he thinks we pay too much tax in the UK, because he earns around £100k.

he thinks the UK has too many immigrants, even though his parents were immigrants to this country.

he thinks there are too many 'benefit-scroungers' in the UK.

he things the UK is turning into a third-world country, based on newspapers telling him so.

Edited by ender4

Didn't think dentists read the Daily Mail :lol:

Whilst they may be his opinions (everyone's got one), they aren't the reasons that are making me consider emigrating, apart from maybe the education/healthcare in this country, which is pretty poor in comparison to other countries. 

Funny to hear about immigrants and benefit scroungers though.

The cost of living is rising to British proportions, so unless his job is paid better he won't nessaserally improve his life in that ways. Maybe he's just looking for nice weather? Or maybe the future of his children, because our education is a mess and youth unemployment, isn't going to get any better anytime soon.

Without knowing the exact reason or reasons why he wants to go we can't really say why he should stay. I've know 3 family's go over...2 have returned and 1 family is very happy there and one of the returnees kids have gone back because youth employment opportunities.

he went to Aus on holiday and loved it.  He thinks thats what it'll be like when he lives there.

he's read about 'all the crime in the UK', though none of it has ever affected him

he heard how bad our education is, even though his daughter goes to a top private school, so wouldn't affect her.

he thinks the UK has too many immigrants, even though his parents were immigrants to this country.

he things the UK is turning into a third-world country, based on newspapers telling him so.

What he has to remember is that to maintain a similar lifestyle to the UK he will have to earn a lot more in Oz. OK the free stuff is good, like the beach, the parks and general outdoorsy things but everything else costs bigtime.

Schools I seem to be on a par with the UK cirriculum wise and teaching standards but are much less like prison camps with the high fencing and security we have in the UK but they will get to that eventually.

Tax is not too bad generally on a par with the UK except every year you can easily claim back a few thousand without trying too hard with their online self assessment.

£100k is around AUD$150,000.00 which is a low wage if you want to send your kids to private school, drive a nice european car etc. I would go for a salary in the region of AUD$250k which will mean a nice lifestyle.

he went to Aus on holiday and loved it. He thinks thats what it'll be like when he lives there.

What he has to remember is that to maintain a similar lifestyle to the UK he will have to earn a lot more in Oz. OK the free stuff is good, like the beach, the parks and general outdoorsy things but everything else costs bigtime.

Schools I seem to be on a par with the UK cirriculum wise and teaching standards but are much less like prison camps with the high fencing and security we have in the UK but they will get to that eventually.

Tax is not too bad generally on a par with the UK except every year you can easily claim back a few thousand without trying too hard with their online self assessment.

£100k is around AUD$150,000.00 which is a low wage if you want to send your kids to private school, drive a nice european car etc. I would go for a salary in the region of AUD$250k which will mean a nice lifestyle.

Surely £100k would be enough for a great lifestyle whether in england or Australia. Surely Australia isnt that much more expensive is it??

Anyway id love to move away from the UK. Looking at teaching abroad or getting a 1 year working visa for Canada. Issue I have is my girlfriend just will not budge and says she is happy in the UK and wont discuss it. Bloody annoying. Give up a relationship im happy with thats lasted several years or follow my dream of living abroad for more then the several months I have before. Tough choice.

Canada, Germany or the far east are places id love to live. As an aside ive travelled to most places in Europe, usa and asia and my favourite city in the world is Vienna. Would be a great place to live if it wasn't so bloody expensive.

Edited by donnie

We earn 160k between the missus and I, and we have a large house 2 mins drive from the beach, 2 kids in private school and enough for an annual holiday to Bali or Bangkok.

We don't smoke and don't drink much but our kids are aged 10, 13 and 19 so it's not cheap to feed 'em. That's in Perth, which is pretty much the most expensive city after Sydney and probably Darwin.

250k and you would live the life and a half IMO. Most working class families get by on under $60k a year and the average middle class income would be about $80k for single and $120k for dual income families.

Dentists charge like a wounded bull wherever they are and I can't see him doing it too tough over here!

However, we also have a shitty government, maybe not so much crime but in some areas you would not think it, education quality is hit and miss depending on where you live, immigrants, yes well our PM just won election on the back of a "turn back the boats" campaign, we get taxed about 40c in the dollar at the highest rate and there are dole-bludgers aplenty.

I do find it ironic when I hear "too many immigrants" as one of the main reasons for people migrating to another country (you'd swear you were in Liverpool or Manchester if you walked around my local shops!)

By the way, Adelaide is a very under-rated, if slightly dull, city IMO. Great quality of life, very nice weather - not as cold as Melbourne and not as hot (at least in a prolonged sense) as Perth but has all the lifestyle benefits. Some of the best fishing in the world is to be had at the Coorong if you are into that sort of thing.

• Like 1

From my visit there in Aug , I'd never have guessed people from Oz went to Bali for holidays  B)

my friends moved to Brisbane about 5 years ago now , after the initial shock ( leaving family , friends , no jobs etc ) they are firmly settled and love the place  ... they have a far better standard of living than they did here in the UK that's for sure ... their kids even bloody well look aussie now , wearing those wife beater vests and looking like beach bums ;)

I visited them a couple of years back and whilst I liked Brisbane ( and Sydney) for that matter I didn't fall in love with the country the way that many Brits seem to do  , if I was emigrating and had a choice between Oz and America I'd pick America out of the 2  , but that's just a personal choice and tbf I've spent more time in America than i have Oz so it's probably skewing my opinions

Â