Why the UK is the best place to live?

ender4

It's always the women wrecking it with their homebirdness isn't it.

Emigration is only viable for the guilt-free.

People who belong to manipulative families where every birthday and Christmas is a guilt-fest, should probably not bother.

When we were looking to Emigrate as research we spoke to a couple we met through mutual friends who had given up on emigration to Australia because of the wife's parents concerted efforts to put them on a guilt trip, how they wouldn't see the grand kids grow older, how unfair on the grand kids to lose out on grandparents and other family, Aunts Uncles etc, So after decided not to emigrate, about 7 years later the wife's parents retired and emigrated to Australia on a retirement visa at the drop of a hat without a second thought or consideration for anyone else's feeling, leaving behind 5 children and 11 grandchildren,

• Like 2

I went to Ontario in March (10th) and it was no colder or warmer than the UK, except in Canada it wasn't pissing down with rain every 5 minutes, also, Manitoba has an avg heat of 45F :)

Most of the habitual parts of Canada are also further south latitudinally than the UK.

Once that Gulf Stream switches.. we're back to being like Sweden :( 

I went to Ontario in March (10th) and it was no colder or warmer than the UK, except in Canada it wasn't pissing down with rain every 5 minutes, also, Manitoba has an avg heat of 45F :)

Yeah but that's half the year at 100 and half the year at -10...

today is gorgeously sunny, but because it's November people have presumed it wouldn't be

so rather smugly I've walked to the beach and had it all to me and mine for an hour

we've come home with a giant bag of chips

there can't be many places better than the UK - you just need to get the exact location and mindset right

(my only comparitors are Malta and Germany, loved them both, but wouldn't go back if offered a swap today)

I think a big plus for the UK is the weather/climate actually, it neither gets too hot nor too cold. As soon as there's been sustained spells above 35 Celsius abroad I've thought I can't function properly, short walks in town become a greasy sweaty mess so I opt to waste the day in an air conditioned room until the late evening. I think the UK temperatures are fine for myself personally and I like to see changeable conditions, rain, lightning, snow, hail and the sunny days is all character.

I said in another thread, that i'd like to live the English village life in the future. There are some beautiful parts of the country and the UK in general, but living in Birmingham you probably don't appreciate it as to be frank, our city is a dump

• Like 2

you see, I don't actually dislike England or the UK, it's beautiful in places.. My problem is I'll never be able to afford to live in those places.

I also think British people are typically not very friendly and are often trying to "one-up" each other.

For the equivalent money in this country I could live in a detached house with 3/4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a garage and half an acre of land, one way overlooking lake ontario and the other vineyards.

This country is expensive, the people annoy me and I think there's only one way for this country to go in the future, down.

So whilst I love what's actually here, as in the countryside, the history etc.  I think I could get just as much, and more, somewhere else for cheaper. 

Would love to live in america on the west coast somewhere for a while, Seattle, San fran or LA. Would love to experience it. Saying that I'd like to go to Florida Keys or Boston as well, then there is Chicago, Minneapolis and a few others. Basically any big city in the US.

Would love to live in america on the west coast somewhere for a while, Seattle, San fran or LA. Would love to experience it. Saying that I'd like to go to Florida Keys or Boston as well, then there is Chicago, Minneapolis and a few others. Basically any big city in the US.

I wouldn't recommend LA, reminds me of a middle east city all the white buildings surrounded by desert, San Francisco is wicked though. Similiar climate to the UK because of the mountainous terrain surrounding the city it has a much cooler micro climate than the surrounding California state. LA is not the place I expected it to be like, everything is better on the TV than in reality, Beverly Hills was full of tramps, drug addicts, their dealers, prozzies,just generally a skanky place where people with nothing go to leech/get expoited off the rich. Place made my skin crawl a bit like girls of the playboy mansion

Edited by villaguy

I think many places offer a better 'lifestyle' than the UK- be this weather, work/life balance, financial or other.

I think it really boils down to whether your mate and his family will miss friends and family...

Australia is a long, long way from home (or indeed anywhere really..) which doesn't make visiting or trips home easy.

I did vaguely research moving there myself a couple of years ago but decided against it. I recall reading a few articles in the UK press at the time covering the large numbers of Poms now returning home to the UK.

Link

Link2

As he is a professionally qualified dentist, I guess he should be able to get a working visa almost anywhere, how about Florida or Spain if he wants some better weather and more outdoors lifestyle ?

I just spent 6 months back in Brum after 8 years overseas (with the odd 1 week visit home) I have to say I enjoyed it. We are professional whingers in the UK but it really isn't that bad !

Its a big bloody world out there and if he wants to do it then that's his perogative. I wish I'd have travelled more when I was a bit younger but I never had the money, yet I always feel like I'm coming home to where I belong when I return from holidays, and you can knock the weather, the arses who run this country and the general dismal state of the economy but there's nowhere quite like the UK.

However Australia is a bloody long way away and moving there from the UK is a massive statement of intent that he wants to completely change his life and close a lot of doors. You'd hardly see him again.

Â