Weather...

Dodgyknees

Yeah, just had a real flurry here.

The weather over the past few years has been a bit all over the place hasn’t it? Beast(s) from the east, record breaking summers, snow in April, I think parts of Worcester and Ironbridge spent most of 2020 under water...that’s just off the top of my head. 

Maybe it’s my memory but I’m sure it’s been more erratic over these recent years.

• Like 1

Most of the day it's looked like a perfect Spring day, with sun shining and blue sky, maybe tempting you to get a deckchair out, other than at exactly the same time it's been snowing. Really strange. 

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Maybe it’s my memory but I’m sure it’s been more erratic over these recent years.

No doubt whatsoever, it's a side issue of Global Warming, generally warmer but far more erratic. 

100 year floodplains are now 5 year floodplains. 

Snow in late April, more common than you may think

Posted on 27 April, 2016 by Met Office Press Office

This week many places have seen the type of weather you may usually associate with winter than late April, with wintry showers observed as far south as southern counties of England. However, snow at this time of year is not as unusual as you might expect.

Based on records from 1981 to 2010 the UK average is for 2.3 days of snow in April, which is more than the 1.7 days for an average November. Whilst the beginning of April is more likely to be white than the end of the month, there have been a number of notable snow events this late on.

Met Office Blog

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats seems oddly specific 😂

Cos that’s the weather we’ve had round here today :D

Fair enough about the historical data of snow in April, but it still feels like the weather generally has been more erratic in recent years. It seems like there’s often a record of some sort that’s being broken.

But might be an element of confirmation bias on my part.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Cos that’s the weather we’ve had round here today 

It's the weather we've had the last two days tbh

Bright blue skys and snow, in fact yesterday it snowed here and the sky was cloudless from my standpoint in the backgarden which was quite surreal

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Bright blue skys and snow, in fact yesterday it snowed here and the sky was cloudless from my standpoint in the backgarden which was quite surreal

Like those days where its sunny with not a cloud anywhere you look 360°, yet it's raining on you. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Fair enough, it’s not been quite like that here. Yesterday was cold but sunny, managed to get out in the garden for a while. Likewise for most of today, it’s been sunny, blue skies, cold admittedly.

But now and during the last two hours it’s like the weather was here back in late December. White skies, quite big snow flakes, the garden developing a blanket of snow.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

the garden developing a blanket of snow.

We haven't got that here, just a ten minute flurry every now and again. The Midlands always gets more precipitation than round here due to being on the lee side of the Cambrian mountains in relation to the prevailing wind and those mountains forcing the air to rise

• Like 1

It definitely snowed in April 2017, me and the missus went to The Gambia and got married. It was 53°C on our wedding day! And snowing back home. 

You’re not normal if you don’t check the weather back home when on holiday :)

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 2

It snowed heavily in April when we had our extension built which would have been 2013 I think. 

I remember standing in the shell of the extension looking up at the new velux windows which were totally blanked out by deep snow. 

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

It definitely snowed in April 2017, me and the missus went to The Gambia and got married. It was 53°C on our wedding day! And snowing back home. 

You’re not normal if you don’t check the weather back home when on holiday :)

Is your wife Gambian, or did you just want to make it as hard as possible for your relatives to follow you :P

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Is your wife Gambian, or did you just want to make it as hard as possible for your relatives to follow you :P

Option 2, you’ve hit the nail on the head :D

Not all relatives though, our parents and best friends came. 

• Like 1

I was working on my new erection out the garden yesterday (a summerhouse, which is basically a shed but with glazed double doors) and it was properly four seasons every hour.

Hot sun, jumper off, cloudy, jumper on, hail bouncing off my baldy head, hat on, a bit of snow, coat on, sun comes out, hat, coat, and jumper off...

Â