Weather...

Dodgyknees

Got a bit breezy at times, up here on the hill on the coast.

Not as bad as it could have been, but there was no mistaking it got lively. I was down Cardiff Bay at one point and it felt clearly a bit stupid to be outdoors, so we literally sat it out for an hour in a coffee shop that stayed open for 30 minutes beyond when it was due to close, because they didn’t feel they could kick people out. There was a dip in the wind and the rain and we all agreed it was time to leave.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I remember when we just had windy days. I'm sure people get more stressed since they started giving them names. 

Yeah. And no hot summer is as 1976. AMIRITE Mike?😀

Edited by sidcow

My neighbour seems to be using the weather as a means of slowly getting rid of their fence. Each time there's a storm they lose a fence panel and don't seem to be bothered about replacing them. Thankfully the fence is on the side that doesn't connect to my garden.

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah. And no hot summer is as 1976. AMIRITE Mike?😀

Dunno, I'm way too young to remember 1976. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I remember when we just had windy days. I'm sure people get more stressed since they started giving them names. 

Yeah but our once great, proud nation is just full of whingy, chai latte guzzling snowflakes now

I merely question the point of naming every bloody weather front. I assume this originated in the US, where they get some MAJOR storms, and this trend of anthropomorphising them (as if they are some sort of malevolent spirits) does at least give a handy shorthand - 'Katrina', rather than 'that big storm of <year>', and so on. 

But, here, really? All we need is a weather forecast that tells us "Looks like very high winds for the next couple of days, so batten down the hatches", not all this "Beast from the East", "OMG, Storm Rumplestiltskin is coming!" nonsense. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I assume this originated in the US,

BBC weather has quite an interesting explanation 

The naming of storms has been going on for centuries - as far back, in fact, as the 1500s. Saints were a popular choice back then; a hurricane hit Puerto Rico on 4 October 1526 as the Catholic feast day of St Francis of Assisi was being celebrated - so the storm was named San Francisco.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

BBC weather has quite an interesting explanation 

"People are latching on to the names. They've been particularly effective at gaining attention on social media, including groups who were previously 'harder to reach'." 

Pah. It's a bit windy. 

genuine comment from a sky news article:

"can we just have a british storm please, storm colin or margaret maybe? even the damn weather is hitting diversity quotas these days"

bloody lefty woke weather eh....

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

genuine comment from a sky news article:

"can we just have a british storm please, storm colin or margaret maybe? even the damn weather is hitting diversity quotas these days"

bloody lefty woke weather eh....

Ffs. I mean who has time to give a f*** about the naming of storms.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

The Met Office probably 

Well yeah. 

Jeff, a delivery driver from Romford, not so much.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Ffs. I mean who has time to give a f*** about the naming of storms.

This guy has already named the storm that will begin with "R" for **** sake!

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I merely question the point of naming every bloody weather front. I assume this originated in the US, where they get some MAJOR storms, and this trend of anthropomorphising them (as if they are some sort of malevolent spirits) does at least give a handy shorthand - 'Katrina', rather than 'that big storm of <year>', and so on. 

But, here, really? All we need is a weather forecast that tells us "Looks like very high winds for the next couple of days, so batten down the hatches", not all this "Beast from the East", "OMG, Storm Rumplestiltskin is coming!" nonsense. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

This guy has already named the storm that will begin with "R" for **** sake!

Theoretically they anthropomorphise storms so that people will take more notice and take safety precautions. 

That's why it doesn't work in the UK. 

Half of Kent end up belligerently standing on their doorsteps holding banners which say 'foreign wind, f*** off', and 'Piss off back to the Azores, you windy Portuguese B****rd'.

You don't get this with British wind. Know where you stand with British wind. British wind has manners.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â