Weather...

Dodgyknees

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I need to go out and see what it was that crashed down our roof last night. Might be some work needed. 

I remember years ago we heard a horrible noise but couldn’t work out what it was. A couple of days later noticed a ridge tile had come adrift and was hanging, Italian Job bus style on the edge of the roof above the conservatory!

Luckily I knew a roofer who promptly popped up there and re-bed it back into place.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Well, it looks like a single tile. 

The weird thing is, I can't see any gaps, even with binoculars. 

I'll have another look when it all calms down a bit. 

IMG20231228122204.jpg

Could it have blown across from an neighbour? 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Could it have blown across from an neighbour? 

Nope. They've got totally different tile types. We've got some spares of ours, so I can identify them by the manufacturer name. It's a bit of a mystery. 

• Like 1

I live not far from Barr Beacon so am really high up and the wind was as bad as I've known it last night. Opened the blinds on the kitchen to total carnage in the garden this morning 3 fence panels out and smashed and the covers that we put on the garden furniture all ripped to pieces.

I also flew back from Spain yesterday afternoon into Manchester airport and the landing was as bumpy as I've ever experienced.  

Edited by markavfc40
  • Sad 1

Could the weather get any more **** miserable? 

Has there been a day in the last month where it hasn't rained in some form? 

Our patio is so flooded now it's right up to the house walls. 

For 2 weeks it's got near then gradually receded but flooded back up again before it's actually drained and dried out.  Water rolls down the long garden till it gets to the patio and also drains away from the house to the bottom of the patio.   

It's alright most of the time but it does need time to drain away that it's just not had for weeks and weeks now.  Need to get a fookin huge soakaway built I think. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xann said:

Is it sinking in yet?

Given the amount of rainfall, I think everything is sinking in.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Could the weather get any more **** miserable? 

Has there been a day in the last month where it hasn't rained in some form? 

Our patio is so flooded now it's right up to the house walls. 

For 2 weeks it's got near then gradually receded but flooded back up again before it's actually drained and dried out.  Water rolls down the long garden till it gets to the patio and also drains away from the house to the bottom of the patio.   

It's alright most of the time but it does need time to drain away that it's just not had for weeks and weeks now.  Need to get a fookin huge soakaway built I think. 

Our lawn is beautiful the summer, but in the winter it’s awful. Water logs really easily and then the dog constantly walking wet mud into the house. This year has been the worse so far. 
It’s constantly **** raining.

My lad hasn’t played a football match since late November because of a combination of rain and frost. I’m not hopeful he’ll be able to play this weekend either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

My lad hasn’t played a football match since late November because of a combination of rain and frost. I’m not hopeful he’ll be able to play this weekend either

Tsk. Muddy pitches used to be the very stuff of winter football. 

article-2016053-0D0F7E2900000578-64_634x526.jpg

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Our lawn is beautiful the summer, but in the winter it’s awful. Water logs really easily and then the dog constantly walking wet mud into the house. This year has been the worse so far. 
It’s constantly **** raining.

My lad hasn’t played a football match since late November because of a combination of rain and frost. I’m not hopeful he’ll be able to play this weekend either.

Looks like from thursday there is a long period of dried weather though colder so frost might be an issue. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Tsk. Muddy pitches used to be the very stuff of winter football. 

article-2016053-0D0F7E2900000578-64_634x526.jpg

The owners of the pitches whether it be council or private just won’t allow it unless 110% safe. The risk of legal action following an injury on an unsafe pitch is too high. Sign of the times.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Looks like from thursday there is a long period of dried weather though colder so frost might be an issue. 

He should have training later (on an artificial pitch) but there’s a severe weather warning for wind later so it’s under threat too.

No wonder we never win anything in this country.

This is for today

Yellow warning of rain

ACTIVE

Started at: 17:00 GMT on Mon 1 January

Ends: 21:00 GMT on Tue 2 January

Heavy rain falling on saturated ground is likely to cause some travel disruption. - Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer - Bus and train services probably affected with journey times taking longer - Flooding of a few homes and businesses is possible - Some interruption to power supplies and other services possible

and a dose of

Yellow warning of wind

ACTIVE

Started at: 08:00 GMT on Tue 2 January

Ends: 21:00 GMT on Tue 2 January

A spell of very windy weather, accompanied by heavy rain in places, is likely to cause some travel disruption. - Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely and damage to trees is possible - Probably some bus and train services affected, with some journeys taking longer - Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely - Some short term loss of power and other services is possible - It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities will be affected by spray and/or large waves

Â