Weather...

Dodgyknees

Yep, weather really lively here at the moment and due to carry on for a few hours. Wind absolutely howling and giving everything a good shake test. I guess the wind here is a bit more exciting than reported figures, being on the top of a hill on the coast. But we are the top of a hill, the highest ground around and the garden now has standing water on it, which I would say I’ve seen 2 or 3 times in 25 years.

It’s basically been windy and raining since the second week of December, which is an obvious consequence of the atmosphere being warmer and holding more energy. A quick check, it’s currently 12.5 degrees, I don’t think we’ve had a day yet where its dropped in to single figures, in the lead up to Christmas I was on site and the temp was 14.5C.

• Like 1

Why do we keep building homes on flood plains?

Potential buyers are left almost entirely in the dark about whether their new home will be at risk of flooding or not

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2023/10/24/flood-plains-building-homes-approved-risk/

Ironically this the Telegraph that loves Tories and fossil fuels.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

This is as breezy as I've seen here. Splinted a fence a couple of years ago, and it's holding. Neighbours haven't been so lucky.

It's a warm breeze though, so bizarre.

Just walked the dog and I can’t believe how much water is everywhere without there being 1 significant downpour. It’s just day upon day of regular rain all combining.

Paths, roads, driveways, gardens all water logged.

You can guarantee budgets for clearing drainage have been cut year on year, probably for about 10 years.

If only Michelle Mone’s completely separate and independent husband knew a leaf blower supplier that operated a on a kick back margin of 40%.

• Like 1

Walked the dog, the dog didnt want to go for a walk, but then I dont want to walk her at 6.30 each morning so we braved to rain and cold and did our circle.

Just now, Seat68 said:

Walked the dog, the dog didnt want to go for a walk, but then I dont want to walk her at 6.30 each morning so we braved to rain and cold and did our circle.

My dog is always up for a walk but my motivation was that he does as much pissing and shitting away from the mud bath of a back garden as possible this evening.

A470 (the main north to south road in da Wales) had loads of new streams and standing water on it yesterday and was as bad as I've ever seen it, really dangerous in places. The ground is saturated.

I'm getting to the point where I'm sick of the weather In England. 

You can't plan to do anything as it will more likely rain, we seem to have a storm every 3 days and in general it's been absolute shyte for months on end now. 

I'd pack up and move to Spain tomorrow if I had the chance. 

14 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

You can't plan to do anything as it will more likely rain, we seem to have a storm every 3 days and in general it's been absolute shyte for months on end now. 

I like variable weather - doesn't seem like it's been that bad really?  Maybe more rain recently... but then the summer was very hot and dry.  I guess this is the way we're heading - hotter, drier "summers" with warmer, wetter "winters".

Almost 2 seasons rather than 4, which is a shame.

• Like 1

I think frosty periods in the winter will become rarer, and these 12-14 degree wet and grey days more common.

It’s good that energy bills will become more even across the year, until the summers get so hot that A/C units at home become the norm.

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Fortunately due to the free movement of people within the EU....... oh wait. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't remember much of a dry summer. Seemed to be everytime we set up the garden furniture, a day later it rained again. 

It has been warmer as in general temperature but our weather is so unpredictable. 

I guess I'm a bit of a sun worshipper and if I could move somewhere where the climate saw a lot less rain, I'd be generally a lot happier. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I don't remember much of a dry summer. Seemed to be everytime we set up the garden furniture, a day later it rained again. 

It has been warmer as in general temperature but our weather is so unpredictable. 

I guess I'm a bit of a sun worshipper and if I could move somewhere where the climate saw a lot less rain, I'd be generally a lot happier. 

Yeah, this summer was warm but also quite wet. The previous 2 summers were crackers though (if sun is your thing) 

We were actually quite lucky last summer though because Europe seriously suffered with heat. We escaped that despite El Nino switching.  Next summer we might not get so lucky and lord only knows how hot the continent may get. 

I would bet next year will be even hotter meaning 3 hottest years in history will be the 3 consecutive years.  Global warming is no longer a distant future. It's a here and now problem. 

The irony being we'll probably see a fair few Daily Telegraph readers raging at EV's and Heat Pumps wiped out in the next heatwave. 

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I don't remember much of a dry summer.

It wasn't. June was, but July and August were crap. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, my measure of a wet or dry summer is how often I have to top up my ponds.

Summer of 2023, didn’t have to do it once.

Ponds? Plural. What are you Capability Brown?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ponds? Plural. What are you Capability Brown?

Liability Larry.

But yes, ponds plural. Just beyond the summer house and the fire pit, but this side of the double garage.

I love a cold dry day. Blue sky, -10 degrees and fresh. Sadly those days are dying out.

• Like 1

Â