Weather...

Dodgyknees

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't.

It may have been longer and drier. But it wasn't hotter

Was the hottest temperature recorded yesterday higher than 35.9 C ? No, the highest recorded temperature yesterday was 33.0 C in Hawarden and that is the hottest day and highest temperature recorded this year, so yesterday when I said that 1976 was hotter, I was absolutely correct, we will see later if it does get hotter than 1976, I suspect it will but as it stands right now its not been hotter than 1976

For the record, the current highest temperature recorded in the UK is 38.7 C

Nice hot cup of tea will cool you down.

That’s all we had in ‘76, it was a council house so we had no cold water feed, just a direct tea tap from the Urban Distric Tea Boiler Room.

All that went under Thatcher and now we can’t go out in the sun.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I've gone on the Northern Line in the middle of winter and come out sweating, so anyone mad enough to use the Tube this week has my sympathies.

Days like today really make me appreciate no longer doing a suited commute on the Northern Line. To make it worse there will be constant delays and waiting in the tunnel for obscene times because you'll have people fainting and having to be taken off. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am very amused to read the number of people who (like me) remember the summer of 1976 and claim we are overreacting. 

Fact is, there was never heat of this level in that period.  it was hot and dry and for a long time but it wasn't heat that would kill even a healthy person if they overexerted themselves in the heat.

And yes, you can't criticise the hijacking of "woke" and then hijack "Gammon" in exactly the same way.  

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Fact is, there was never heat of this level in that period.  it was hot and dry and for a long time but it wasn't heat that would kill even a healthy person if they overexerted themselves in the heat.

And yes, you can't criticise the hijacking of "woke" and then hijack "Gammon" in exactly the same way.  

Heat didn’t kill people in 76 because they were still allowed to put asbestos in food and that insulates against heat.

It’s like we’ve solved one problem and created another.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I am very amused to read the number of people who (like me) remember the summer of 1976 and claim we are overreacting. 

I'm very amused by the amount of people who are making this last bit up

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Was the hottest temperature recorded yesterday higher than 35.9 C ? No, the highest recorded temperature yesterday was 33.0 C in Hawarden and that is the hottest day and highest temperature recorded this year, so yesterday when I said that 1976 was hotter, I was absolutely correct, we will see later if it does get hotter than 1976, I suspect it will but as it stands right now its not been hotter than 1976

ooo.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I was on it last Tuesday and it was crazy hot.

The worst I ever felt on the underground was one year when I went to Wimbledon  on a hot June day and on the way back the tube stopped for 5 minutes with no fresh air and completely packed. Never again!

When we sold our first house (built in 1928) I was given a copy of the original leasehold agreement which had been bought out at sometime in the past.

I was amused to see it specified that the woodwork MUST be painted in a lead based paint at least every 2 years.

I wonder how many leasehold properties are currently in breach of their lease conditions:lol:

In the 70s stealing from work seemed fair game for many people.  A mate's dad worked at a power station.  Their whole house was insulated with asbestos.  In the loft, around the cold water tank, in the airing cupboard and around all the pipes.  

It was very cool.in summer.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Nice hot cup of tea will cool you down.

That’s all we had in ‘76, it was a council house so we had no cold water feed, just a direct tea tap from the Urban Distric Tea Boiler Room.

All that went under Thatcher and now we can’t go out in the sun.

Or have milk in our tea

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Days like today really make me appreciate no longer doing a suited commute on the Northern Line. To make it worse there will be constant delays and waiting in the tunnel for obscene times because you'll have people fainting and having to be taken off. 

Ergh sam that and victoria line. Imagine doing those in this heat?

Spicey BO 🤢

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well anything is either woke or gammon now isn’t it.

We’ve managed to polarise basic English, kudos to us.

Wokegammon, like backgammon but every counter is beige

Â