Getting older

villaguy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Just picking up on something I just read in the deadpool thread and someone dying at 73 and being described as only 73. I see this a lot that people in their 70's being described in terms such as no age or even young. 

I can't see someone in their 60's as young or no age never mind their 70's. I'm 50 so no spring chicken and whilst I don't consider myself old I certainly couldn't see myself, or definitely not describe myself, as young. Life expectancy for males in the UK is I think 78 and dropping so you get into mid 70s and you've had a half decent knock I'd say. 

I'm probably influenced by having lost my dad when he was 60, my mother in law when she was 55 and numerous aunts/uncles on both mine and my wife's side in their 60's. The only nan and granddad I was close to were 69 and 73 and back when they passed away in the 1980s/early 90s that was considered a good innings. My mom is 80 this year and I'd say that is a really good age to get to. 

It’s easy for me to think this being a few years off that sort of age, but I do tend to think anything after three score and ten it is a bit of a lucky dip. 

That doesn’t mean to say someone can’t feel vital at 75 or feel like they haven’t got life yet to live…but I would like to think at that age I could adopt a philosophical view and think “Well there were people I went to school with who didn’t make it past their mid twenties” so I couldn’t have too many complaints.

Sadly that isn’t a completely made up thought, when I was in my mid twenties, three people who were in my school year all died within about 6-12 months of each other. As it gets said, getting older is better than the alternative.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Just picking up on something I just read in the deadpool thread and someone dying at 73 and being described as only 73. I see this a lot that people in their 70's being described in terms such as no age or even young. 

I can't see someone in their 60's as young or no age never mind their 70's. I'm 50 so no spring chicken and whilst I don't consider myself old I certainly couldn't see myself, or definitely not describe myself, as young. Life expectancy for males in the UK is I think 78 and dropping so you get into mid 70s and you've had a half decent knock I'd say. 

I'm probably influenced by having lost my dad when he was 60, my mother in law when she was 55 and numerous aunts/uncles on both mine and my wife's side in their 60's. The only nan and granddad I was close to were 69 and 73 and back when they passed away in the 1980s/early 90s that was considered a good innings. My mom is 80 this year and I'd say that is a really good age to get to. 

Gee, thanks. :) 

The best indicators of longevity are the death ages of your parents. Mine lived to 87 and 84, despite both having grown up with poor diets, relative poverty and the stress of war. Nothing's guaranteed, but as a fit and heathy 70 year old, I'd hope to do at least as well. 

But, as in the case of Steve Harley and countless others, the big banana skin is always cancer. 

Take the test

Edited by mjmooney

43 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The best indicators of longevity are the death ages of your parents. Mine lived to 87 and 84, despite both having grown up with poor diets, relative poverty and the stress of war. Nothing's guaranteed, but as a fit and heathy 70 year old, I'd hope to do at least as well. 

But, as in the case of Steve Harley and countless others, the big banana skin is always cancer. 

Take the test

My post wasn't meant to come over as you can't  be in your 70's and really fit, healthy and enjoying life. That is certainly my intention 🙂 My point was just that I don't consider someone who passes away in their 70's as no age to go or that they were 'only' 72/73/74 etc. 

I'm 50, I keep myself in reasonable nick but even now I'd say if I can get to my mid 70's then I'd have had a decent innings whilst of course hoping I'll hang around at the crease for a while longer than that 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

My Dad is 74 later this year and looks and feels better than he did 10 years ago when he was working. Retirement agrees with him.

I am aware that a lot of people do die in their 70s and that worries me. Saying that, his parents both lived into their 90s. 

• Like 1

Well my mum died this year. In her 70s. If you asked me the day before if she would make it well into her 80s. I would say absolutely. My feeling is you can't predict when people will die. 

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My feeling is you can't predict when people will die. 

No, you can't, for individuals. All you can do is look at the stats and hope that you aren't (or are, depending on circumstances) an outlier. 

Reading this thread whilst watching Paul Ritter on telly - dead at 54 from a brain tumour.

My brother in law who I never met died the same way back in 2007 at around the same age. 
Such a waste 🫤

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I turned 45 yesterday.

Think I was about 23 when I started posting on the original VT.

Did @blandydelete the original VT as well?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I turned 45 yesterday.

Yeah, 20 years as a member of VT this August. Still vividly remember signing up 😯

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I turned 45 yesterday.

Happy belated Birthday. I'm 45 in a few months. 18 years a member of VT. Its been one of the very few constants of my adult life. 

Can’t remember if I’ve posted the thought on here but I often wonder, if I had the choice, would I rather live to 80 - guaranteed to clock out then, but also guaranteed to be very healthy both physically and mentally (let’s say I look and act like I’m 60, when I’m 79). 

Would I choose that, or would I rather a guarantee of living to say 105 but I’m going to age normally - when I’m 98, man do I look and feel like I’m 98 - and no guarantees of avoiding dementia or whatever.

Basically a simple hypothetical of quality of life v longevity of life and how much I would sacrifice the one for the other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sid4ever said:

Did @blandydelete the original VT as well?

What VT?  No such thing. Never was. Just your fever dream.  Snap out of it!

This post will self destruct in 10 seconds.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Can’t remember if I’ve posted the thought on here but I often wonder, if I had the choice, would I rather live to 80 - guaranteed to clock out then, but also guaranteed to be very healthy both physically and mentally (let’s say I look and act like I’m 60, when I’m 79). 

Would I choose that, or would I rather a guarantee of living to say 105 but I’m going to age normally - when I’m 98, man do I look and feel like I’m 98 - and no guarantees of avoiding dementia or whatever.

Basically a simple hypothetical of quality of life v longevity of life and how much I would sacrifice the one for the other.

Former for me. Live a good retirement (25 years) to 80 and slip away in my sleep. That would be ideal.

I've seen three Grandparents live into their 90s and basically had been waiting to die for 10 years as their bodies, and minds, gave away around them. 

• Like 2

As a kid I suspected I wouldn't be around for interstellar travel and that was a disappointment.

Now the World is actually going down the shitter on a wave of greed, ignorance and stupidity, I'm quite content to shuffle off before seeing the worst of it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Well I have decided to retire at the end of this month, so next Thursday is my last day of work (I hope). I turn 66 in June and am fairly healthy and run 5km Parkrun's on Saturdays.

Happy Retirement! Whats prompted it? Just a natural conclusion, or fed up of working? 66 is a good stint to work to though! 

Â