Getting older

villaguy

• 5 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My knees ain’t what they were.

A pal gave me a lift back from the boozer last night. He's got one of those mini SUV VW's... either a T-Roc, or T-Cross, something like that. I realised how much I loved the seat being higher off the ground. When I get out of my car I make a groaning noise now, as it hurts my knees! 

My next car will have the ability to slide out of the seat, rather than have to step up!

• Like 1

I’ve got this image of me being all fine and dandy as the years roll on , and can see myself working ok whilst I’m in my 60s. Thing is if I make it that long there’s nothing saying my body will be able to cope with working at that age. Time waits for no man and the body like any machinery has wear and tear. Once the engine has had enough that’s it.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Gout. No I have **** gout.  I’m not a fat, old, red faced alcoholic but I have **** gout!

We all say we aren't fat, old, red faced alcoholic. Next you will say you have type 2 diabetes and say well I don't eat a **** ton of cheese. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s now properly clicked at the age of 40 that I’m not invincible anymore. Time  creeps up on you and gives you reminders.

I just recently (when I reached my 50s) started thinking about my own mortality and a creeping fear of all the terrible ways you can die, or even worse, live with an affliction like dementia or Alzheimers.

I'd like to just die in my sleep at 88. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Gout. No I have **** gout.  I’m not a fat, old, red faced alcoholic but I have **** gout!

I first had a gout attack in 2014- I was 39 and the fittest I'd been for a long time. Bloody painful. It comes and goes now. Had it bad last year but not had it this year and am no fitter/fatter. I've really cut down on red meat, think that has helped. Not a massive drinker either. Drinking lots of water helps though.

My friends and I have reached that stage that, when we get together, the conversations tend to revolve around our various ailments, who's in for an operation, who's died since the last meeting. 

I was having a WhatsApp conversation with an ex work colleague the the other day. Asked how she was, and got the reply: "Hi. I'm ok. I had a near fatal head trauma and home from month in hospital but recovering well now. Slowly walking again. Looking forward to seeing you and your family. Congratulations on 4 grandchildren.  That is lovely". 

A fall, apparently. 

• Sad 2

Prompted by @tonyh29's comment about going on an all-dayer today. I did something similar a couple of weeks back. Was wonderful to see my mates, and had a great day, but I'm at that ages now where I was glad to be back home in the evening. No drinking to oblivion, or nightclubs, just a good few beers, food and home in a reasonable state. 

I'm a 3-4 pints after work, some food and train home at a reasonable hour type of guy now! I don't want the next day ruined. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

My friends and I have reached that stage that, when we get together, the conversations tend to revolve around our various ailments, who's in for an operation, who's died since the last meeting. 

I was having a WhatsApp conversation with an ex work colleague the the other day. Asked how she was, and got the reply: "Hi. I'm ok. I had a near fatal head trauma and home from month in hospital but recovering well now. Slowly walking again. Looking forward to seeing you and your family. Congratulations on 4 grandchildren.  That is lovely". 

A fall, apparently. 

Slight change of tack but still on thread. I'm interested in the expression - 'a fall'. Since childhood to now in my mid-fifties, if I've ever stumbled or tripped over, I've 'fell over'. However, I remember as a child being told my grandparents had 'had a fall'.

It's made me wonder - at what age does someone 'have a fall'? Unless it's just me that would say I fell over?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, brommy said:

Slight change of tack but still on thread. I'm interested in the expression - 'a fall'. Since childhood to now in my mid-fifties, if I've ever stumbled or tripped over, I've 'fell over'. However, I remember as a child being told my grandparents had 'had a fall'.

It's made me wonder - at what age does someone 'have a fall'? Unless it's just me that would say I fell over?

I was walking the dog a few weeks back and "went on my arse". 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, brommy said:

Fell over - no/minor injury

Had a fall - major/serious injury

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I was walking the dog a few weeks back and "went on my arse". 

😆

Yes, I'd say similar in slang terms. But you definitely didn't 'have a fall', did you?

My current thinking is 'A fall' is an expression reserved for those with reduced mobility who are adversely affected beyond very short term pain.

• Like 1

Â