Getting older

villaguy

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

Well I started my apprenticeship as a marine engineer in 1974 when I was 16, coinciding with Villa's centenary. 

Now 50 years later, it seems perfect for me at 66 in June and Villa 150 years old!

I think its important to keep mentally and physically fit as well as having  interests outside work.

But I guess the first working day of my retirement I will be thinking now what?......probably I will be waiting anxiously for my highlight of the day....."Bargin Hunt"

I am going to volunteer for a day or so a week at my local hospital in Bury St Edmunds.

It is certainly going to be different, so if anyone who has retired has any advice then I would welcome it !

Join the patients committee at your local Doctors Surgery and made sure to recommend all procedures are designed to benefit people with lots of time on their hands and make life as difficult as possible for anyone who works. 

Well, that's what the retired people of Hall Green appear to do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, sidcow said:

Join the patients committee at your local Doctors Surgery and made sure to recommend all procedures are designed to benefit people with lots of time on their hands and make life as difficult as possible for anyone who works. 

Well, that's what the retired people of Hall Green appear to do. 

A mate of mine at work suggested that I go shopping at the supermarket at the busiest time and try and pay with a combination of vouchers (some of them out of date and the wrong brand of supermarket) and cash (mainly coins) and not quite having enough to pay for the shopping. Meanwhile the queue gets longer and longer with very annoyed customers 😂.

It what oldies do isn't it ??? 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

A mate of mine at work suggested that I go shopping at the supermarket at the busiest time and try and pay with a combination of vouchers (some of them out of date and the wrong brand of supermarket) and cash (mainly coins) and not quite having enough to pay for the shopping. Meanwhile the queue gets longer and longer with very annoyed customers 😂.

It what oldies do isn't it ??? 😉

Yes, I always pick the wrong queue. I usually help them out though cos I'm not that far behind them

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I am 73 and retired when I was 63....I started a few part time jobs, but felt it was counter productive.

There is no singular answer to retirement....you have to follow what makes you happy.

A lot depends on your circle of friends and family.....if you have many, there is no time, for a job....you can also watch the weather and just go away on spec, when you haven't got a job commitment.

We are all subject to the protestant work ethic, but don't be.....retirement means what is says......stay fit and eat healthy, and enjoy.

Personally, I find loads to do, and Villa is my main hobby, bit of snooker, once a week, and I like, my films and music.

Just remember, you have earned it, this is your reward, only take a job, if it's enhancing your happiness, not a chore.....but it is another commitment.

Enjoy, that precious time, mate.....you've earned it.

This sounds ideal. My concerns about it when I eventually retire are based off seeing multiple family members (on my wife's side too), who seemed to start deteriorating (physically and mentally) when they retired. It was like they'd aged 15 years in about 3. It might be coincidental but it also seemed to be the trigger for my Mother In Laws dementia,  like once she wasn't using her brain for work it just kinda stopped working properly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

A lot depends on your circle of friends and family.....if you have many, there is no time, for a job....you can also watch the weather and just go away on spec, when you haven't got a job commitment.

This, this, thissety this. 

Ten years into retirement now, and enjoying every minute. 

• Like 1

I quite like my job.  Not sure how I'll feel after another 30 years of it. 

Previous jobs I was like "this is a complete waste of my life", now I actually quite look forward to it.  Weird.

Wouldn't have imagined that 10 years ago.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

This sounds ideal. My concerns about it when I eventually retire are based off seeing multiple family members (on my wife's side too), who seemed to start deteriorating (physically and mentally) when they retired. It was like they'd aged 15 years in about 3. It might be coincidental but it also seemed to be the trigger for my Mother In Laws dementia,  like once she wasn't using her brain for work it just kinda stopped working properly. 

I still have a thirst for learning as I did, when I was young.....you have to keep your brain active, and reading and learning helps.....it makes you feel there is so much to fulfil.

I am no medic, so I can only go on my experience.....but involvement with friends and family is key imo....Loneliness, is a big No,No.....Socially interactive is important, and making other people feel good about themselves is rewarding to you.

spending time with grand kids and embracing young idea's is stimulating and engaging....young people can be fun.

Retirement is very much a state of mind, don't see yourself as growing old....see yourself as maturing and respect the knowledge you have gathered over the years...learning to respect and value yourself is uplifting.

Many retirees are untapped talent....see yourself as such....you have been on this earth and learned so much, value it all, and be proud.

Laugh more, Life is actually comical, if you look for the funny side of things.....When you have left work, leave the serious stuff behind, sadly someone else has to manage it....release the stress, and wave goodbye.

We have a football team we support, which is now one of the best era's in our history......I still sing and join in with the young bucks, until i get a bit breathless, recover, and start again.

Trust me.....Retirement, is a great time of life, embrace it, enjoy it, it's the start of a new era, not the end......and keep smiling, tell jokes, and make other people you meet happy......Happiness is key to longevity...and it should be contagious.

PS Many unfortunate illnesses, was going to happen anyway, retirement is not to blame....I am still recovering from Prostate Cancer, but I wouldn't blame retirement.....I am currently on a calorie controlled diet, to lose weight, some would say, why bother at your age, but that.s the very defeatist attitude to avoid....age is just a number, Live for fulfillment, like you have years left.

Enjoy your retirement, you'll Love it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I quite like my job.  Not sure how I'll feel after another 30 years of it. 

Previous jobs I was like "this is a complete waste of my life", now I actually quite look forward to it.  Weird.

Wouldn't have imagined that 10 years ago.

If you have a job like that, where you enjoy it.....its priceless.

You are a lucky guy, many find it a grind and just a means to an end.

I was in sales, so like football, i guess......it was never enough. Its like a treadmill, where you set the pace, and someone comes along and turns it up......more wants more.

I have to remind myself sometimes, when I am expecting too much from my team.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

Loneliness, is a big No,No.....Socially interactive is important, and making other people feel good about themselves is rewarding to you.

This seems to be the key bit from what I've seen. My in laws don't really do anything but spend time with each other, no social clubs or part time jobs/hobbies etc. They see us and my brother in laws family but that's only two or three times a month at most (we live the closest but it's still 20 miles away).

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice guys. One more week to go now!

I do (did) enjoy my job and that is so important. After all you spend near enough 1/3 of your life at it...

Yes TRO good advice and thanks 😊 Mental and physical health is important and I need to look at this as a new chapter in my book of life.

I love my grandkids, but they do drive me mad though sometimes!!!

Following the Villa is a good outlet for me it's just the 2hr drive there and back can be a bind occasionally especially if we lose...

Got a few things I want to get involved with such as volunteering at my local hospital and helping out at Cambridge Technology museum. Just need to ease my way into a new part of my life now !

Cheers lads, this is a great forum, some comments from many of you make me laugh out loud, and where would we be without timely Kenneth William's pictures and the ongoing saga of The best English Breakfast ....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Don’t worry - retirement will be for 90+ when we get there 😎

Yeah my daughter has just turned 31, she will have to work to 131 before she can get the state pension 🙁

1 hour ago, delboy54 said:

Yeah my daughter has just turned 31, she will have to work to 131 before she can get the state pension 🙁

68 when I get it.. i've basically wiped it out from my calculations/projections. Anything received will merely be a bonus. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

68 when I get it.. i've basically wiped it out from my calculations/projections. Anything received will merely be a bonus. 

Yeah the same.

The other thing I'm (sort of) thinking about is whether to drawdown up to 25% of the pension (will be by age 57 at the earliest) and pay off any remaining mortgage. 

Anyone else done that?

Â