What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Is anyone still buying diesels? Pretty soon you won't be able to drive a diesel into any city centre, then eventually they will be banned outright. The prices of 2nd hand diesel cars will start dropping like a stone soon as everyone tries to offload them when it's clear that no-one wants them.

Seriously? Have i missed something. whats happened now? 

I've had a Qashqai this week and put a few miles on that. I know people's opinion on them and yes, it wouldn't be my cup of tea either. But needs must.

Anyway, the thing I thought was odd was the spec.. It had a giant sunroof almost the size of the whole roof, auto wipers, auto lights, cruise, climate control, 360 degrees of cameras around the car, reversing trickery and all sorts of other stuff. Loaded.

But it didn't have auto bloody windows! Had to keep a finger on the button to do the windows - the driver's window had an upgrade on the other three - auto down but not up.

Why make a car with alloys, auto wipers and sat nav but not auto windows?

How often do you open Windows really?

At McDonalds drive-in, but anywhere else?

seriously?

you'd prefer to have help turning the lights on than opening and closing the windows?

well good news, I've found the car for you...

Is anyone still buying diesels? Pretty soon you won't be able to drive a diesel into any city centre, then eventually they will be banned outright. The prices of 2nd hand diesel cars will start dropping like a stone soon as everyone tries to offload them when it's clear that no-one wants them.

The world has suddenly realised that you can't stop diesels producing nitrogen oxide and dioxide, and various other poisonous chemicals and carcinogens, mainly brought about by the VAG scandal. Even before that many cities were going to have to stop diesels entering the their centres http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/diesel-vehicles-could-be-banned-from-cities-to-clean-up-killer-air-pollution-a2947586.html because the EU are suing the UK and other European governments over diesel caused air pollution http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26257703 http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/apr/29/supreme-court-orders-uk-to-draw-up-air-pollution-cleanup-plan 

I could keep linking articles about it all night but I assume you've seen them? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/11862419/Diesel-car-drivers-face-new-restrictions-in-cities.html 

About 5 or 6 years ago I did part of my uni diss on titanium dioxide additives in concrete, bricks and road building materials.

Essentially, it's the science bit of 'self cleaning' materials. It works like this:

cd504photocat01art.jpg

spatial design

they've put TiO2 into roads in Belgium (from memory) and it reduce Nox by about a third to a half.

it's not the answer, but it might be part of the answer, it's been sat out there for years waiting to be discovered. 

• Like 1

My point was it's all relative.

I think you're wrong. But someone else would say the same thing about Range Rover drivers, or Subaru drivers, or whatever.

That stigma gets passed around every make of car out there (within reason)

Subaru drivers generally are cocks though :mrgreen:

What? You rang? Same colour/model as mine ...

2015-Subaru-Forester-2.5i-Manual-SUV-Pic

Edited by Plastic Man

I wish I knew this before I bought my car!

Won't effect you any time soon.

I'm probably overstating it and it probably won't affect anyone on their current phase of car ownership, as you'll probably be changing in 2 to 3 years anyway (as is the average cycle of car replacement). It's not as if the government can suddenly ban half of all cars on the road. There will still be a lot of people buying diesels new and used, but I think it's certainly brought hybrid and EV closer in as realistic alternatives.

edit: although, I did reply specifically to you in May when you were first looking:

http://www.villatalk.com/topic/10054-what-do-you-drive/?do=findComment&comment=1659492 

Oh and don't get a diesel, whatever you do. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11571615/Dirty-diesel-cars-could-be-banished-as-Britain-ordered-to-cut-air-pollution.html

[/quote]

Edited by darrenm

Nah, load of hot air for now, possibly a gradual change on tax over a few years, but even then it's an extra £100 or so on a year's tax - would that really influence your choice of car?

I pay the extra to have an auto petrol guzzler. Would I save the £100 and drive something half the engine size up n down the motorway every week of the year? No chance, I'll pay the extra £2 a week thanks.

I was in a petrol station yesterday and there was a very shouty advert on the radio for a local car showroom. They were claiming in the advert that 'due to recent bad publicity on all german cars we are having a massive german car discounted clear out, all makes and models, if its german, we want it sold'. Or words to that effect.

The advert was patent contradictory nonsense. But I guess they might get one person thinking, hmmm VW diesels are as dirty as everyone always knew, perhaps I can now get a good deal on a petrol BMW.

It might not influence the brand of car people buy but it absolutely influences the engine size and efficiency. People like the idea of stuff being "cheap" or "free". If you tell them that their brand new 1l Yaris has "Free Road Tax" they'll buy it over a 1.2l that might be more suitable for their driving style or average road use. 

Nah, load of hot air for now, possibly a gradual change on tax over a few years, but even then it's an extra £100 or so on a year's tax - would that really influence your choice of car?

I pay the extra to have an auto petrol guzzler. Would I save the £100 and drive something half the engine size up n down the motorway every week of the year? No chance, I'll pay the extra £2 a week thanks.

I was in a petrol station yesterday and there was a very shouty advert on the radio for a local car showroom. They were claiming in the advert that 'due to recent bad publicity on all german cars we are having a massive german car discounted clear out, all makes and models, if its german, we want it sold'. Or words to that effect.

The advert was patent contradictory nonsense. But I guess they might get one person thinking, hmmm VW diesels are as dirty as everyone always knew, perhaps I can now get a good deal on a petrol BMW.

And I think this is the understating side of it. If you've got a Euro 6 diesel, you're OK for now. Anything less will be forced off the road pretty quickly, as they can't get anywhere near to NOx targets.

I'm probably overstating it and it probably won't affect anyone on their current phase of car ownership, as you'll probably be changing in 2 to 3 years anyway (as is the average cycle of car replacement). It's not as if the government can suddenly ban half of all cars on the road. There will still be a lot of people buying diesels new and used, but I think it's certainly brought hybrid and EV closer in as realistic alternatives.

edit: although, I did reply specifically to you in May when you were first looking:

http://www.villatalk.com/topic/10054-what-do-you-drive/?do=findComment&comment=1659492 

Oh and don't get a diesel, whatever you do. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11571615/Dirty-diesel-cars-could-be-banished-as-Britain-ordered-to-cut-air-pollution.html

Ooops must have missed that! I will probably change this car in 2 years time so hopefully shouldn't impact me too much.

• Like 1

Not harping on about this, but it's a current topic, and this is the car thread. I've just done a bit more reading and apparently this is all about to blow up big style. 

Views of hybrid and EV reviews at carbuyer have gone up 25% in the past few weeks: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/93058/tesla-s-right-to-be-concerned-about-pollution-inside-cars 

Auto Express’s sister website Carbuyer.co.uk has seen an increase of nearly a quarter in the number of people looking at reviews of electric and hybrid cars in the past few weeks – no doubt fuelled by the latest rumpus.

From 3% to 53% of people are now considering buying a hybrid or EV for their next car http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/93088/over-half-of-uk-motorists-are-considering-an-electric-car-or-hybrid 

The Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) has found 53 per cent of drivers planning to buy or lease a car in the next two years are looking at electric or hybrid vehicles as their next car. The 56,000 electric and hybrid cars sold this year represent just under 3 per cent of all new car registrations in 2015.

Next, it seems no manufacturers can get near to Euro 6 standards for diesels and can only hope to get to twice the current figures by 2020 http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/93030/exclusive-car-makers-cant-meet-euro6-emissions-targets and http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row 

The car industry has admitted that makers can’t meet 2020 diesel pollution targets and want to almost double Euro 6 limits under new tests, Auto Express understands.

Its been revealed by an EU insider that the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) is asking for a “conformityfactor” of 1.7, whereby cars would be given Euro 6 status for emitting 0.136g/km of nitrogen oxides (NOx) from 2020. 

Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have joined the growing list of manufacturers whose diesel cars are known to emit significantly more pollution on the road than in regulatory tests ... diesel cars from Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat, Volvo and Jeep all pumped out significantly more NOx in more realistic driving conditions. NOx pollution is at illegal levels in many parts of the UK and is believed to have caused many thousands of premature deaths and billions of pounds in health costs. 

Finally, VAG have said there's no way to make their engines compliant without major changes, so expect others to follow suit. http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/oct/09/vw-scandal-3-6m-european-vehicles-need-major-changes 

German carmaker says half of models involved in emissions scandal may need complex, costly repairs such as a new fuel tank

So Euro 6 is unattainable with current technology and diesels chuck out more NOx than previously thought. This shouldn't affect existing owners much but you'd expect 2nd hand values of diesels to go down, and prices of things like Nissan Leafs and Renault Zoes to hold firm.

Fantastic excuse to avoid Brum city centre. 

The RAC are predicting diesel fuel consumption to continue to rise for the foreseeable future.

The problem with electric/hybrid vehicles is that they are generally shit for most use cases, especially getting people out of Diesels who generally do more miles/longer journeys.

The motoring research group said diesel demand had been rising for decades, but UK refineries were struggling to cope.

There were 11 million diesel cars on the road last year, compared with just 1.6 million in 1994.

The RACF said that, at this rate, diesel would be four times more popular than petrol by 2030.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34262990

The RAC are predicting diesel fuel consumption to continue to rise for the foreseeable future.

The problem with electric/hybrid vehicles is that they are generally shit for most use cases, especially getting people out of Diesels who generally do more miles/longer journeys.

The motoring research group said diesel demand had been rising for decades, but UK refineries were struggling to cope.

There were 11 million diesel cars on the road last year, compared with just 1.6 million in 1994.

The RACF said that, at this rate, diesel would be four times more popular than petrol by 2030.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34262990

Electric isn't for everyone yet, I agree. Hybrids are just a more efficient petrol with none of the nastiness of diesel. They're win/win. Not sure how you consider them generally shit?

That article fails to take into account the current climate. The key bit is 'at this rate', which it definitely won't be as no-one is buying diesels brand new any more. Manufacturers are hugely turning to EV and hybrid because they can't even meet current euro 6 regulations for diesel.

Â