What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

My Lupo developed a weird whine, which got worse at full lock, and a leak, which seemed to be getting worse, which I couldn't identify the cause of and didn't seem to be noticeably draining from any of the fluids, so took it to be looked at. 

£30 later, I'm advised the whine and the fluid leak is due to a faulty power steering hose. Cool, fine, how bad can it be to get a pipe replaced? Ah. They don't make it anymore so the garage can't fix it, but if I can get one they'll fit it. Ok... How expensive is that gonna be really, it's a hose. Aha! If you want a genuine one the remaining stocks have (understandably) gone through the roof, by which I mean the cheapest I could get was £220, and aftermarket ones are like rocking horse shit. Eventually I discovered a place that could supply one (but bizarrely a Polo one was the right one, not a Lupo), and cost £102. And then getting it fitted cost £158 because Volkswagen in their infinite wisdom made the power steering require a hose that goes from the back of the engine, loops through some other hoses, wires and structures to the front of the engine, making fitting it a bigger job than putting a hose in place should be.

Better part of £300 because of a whine and a leak.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I saw a Lancia Stratos a couple of days ago and I made weird little squeal noise.

I can't even imagine what that is worth, if it is an original. 

Hawk and Lister Bell do some very good replica/kit car versions. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I can't even imagine what that is worth, if it is an original. 

Hawk and Lister Bell do some very good replica/kit car versions. 

Yes, there’s always the chance its a kit, and it was a drive by so I didn’t get to study it, but it ‘felt’ like the real deal if that makes any sense. It was a middling red and I couldn’t help thinking a kit would be gleaming blue or the white red and green rally style.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

My Lupo developed a weird whine, which got worse at full lock, and a leak, which seemed to be getting worse, which I couldn't identify the cause of and didn't seem to be noticeably draining from any of the fluids, so took it to be looked at. 

£30 later, I'm advised the whine and the fluid leak is due to a faulty power steering hose. Cool, fine, how bad can it be to get a pipe replaced? Ah. They don't make it anymore so the garage can't fix it, but if I can get one they'll fit it. Ok... How expensive is that gonna be really, it's a hose. Aha! If you want a genuine one the remaining stocks have (understandably) gone through the roof, by which I mean the cheapest I could get was £220, and aftermarket ones are like rocking horse shit. Eventually I discovered a place that could supply one (but bizarrely a Polo one was the right one, not a Lupo), and cost £102. And then getting it fitted cost £158 because Volkswagen in their infinite wisdom made the power steering require a hose that goes from the back of the engine, loops through some other hoses, wires and structures to the front of the engine, making fitting it a bigger job than putting a hose in place should be.

Better part of £300 because of a whine and a leak.

I got done £200 a couple of weeks ago for a rubber intercooler hose. Can’t really complain as it’s the only thing I’ve needed replacing in 3 years but still felt a bit like my pants were pulled down.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I got done £200 a couple of weeks ago for a rubber intercooler hose. Can’t really complain as it’s the only thing I’ve needed replacing in 3 years but still felt a bit like my pants were pulled down.

Yeah.

I should add I bought the car 5 years ago for £1100 and it's not exactly driven much on the last couple of those. Which kinda made £300 to fix a hose sting that little more.

• Like 1

We have a Toyota Aygo, a 69 plate low mileage properly serviced and all that. It’s got a year left to run on a pcp.

But Toyota had phoned up and basically asked if we wanted to swap it for the new one that’s just out. New car is slightly bigger and a slightly higher spec but essentially the same, essentially what Mrs Chrispy is used to and likes. We’ve gone in had a test drive done the numbers, and its no deposit needed, and a tenner a month more than we’re currently paying.

We weren’t considering changing the car, but it feels like a deal that is very much of the moment with those weird used car prices that are going on. Sales guy (I know, I know) said that a year ago they could have sold our Aygo for about £8,500 but right now they’re offering us a thousand more than that because they know they can sell it straight away for £10k.

Very much considering saying yes.

• Like 2

On 17/06/2022 at 19:46, Chindie said:

Yeah.

I should add I bought the car 5 years ago for £1100 and it's not exactly driven much on the last couple of those. Which kinda made £300 to fix a hose sting that little more.

On the flip side, your car is certainly worth more than the £1100 you paid for it. 

51 minutes ago, Xela said:

On the flip side, your car is certainly worth more than the £1100 you paid for it. 

Bizarrely I've had about a dozen people in the last 6 months or so knock on the door and ask if it's for sale, so probably some demand out there.

On 19/06/2022 at 18:59, chrisp65 said:

We have a Toyota Aygo, a 69 plate low mileage properly serviced and all that. It’s got a year left to run on a pcp.

But Toyota had phoned up and basically asked if we wanted to swap it for the new one that’s just out. New car is slightly bigger and a slightly higher spec but essentially the same, essentially what Mrs Chrispy is used to and likes. We’ve gone in had a test drive done the numbers, and its no deposit needed, and a tenner a month more than we’re currently paying.

We weren’t considering changing the car, but it feels like a deal that is very much of the moment with those weird used car prices that are going on. Sales guy (I know, I know) said that a year ago they could have sold our Aygo for about £8,500 but right now they’re offering us a thousand more than that because they know they can sell it straight away for £10k.

Deal done, pennies under an extra tenner a month but that car budget is now fixed for 3 years so that felt like a good thing just to have a bit of budget certainty.

Wouldn’t be my first choice, but it is actually fun to throw around once you work out you just use second and third gears.

Not that I’d drive it like that obviously. I’ve learnt that bloody lesson the hard way! When the second car was a Nissan people carrier I met a mate in an almost deserted Morrisons car park. Chance meeting, and I had wife’s Nissan, he had wife’s Renault. The only sensible thing to do was a drag race. I broke the drivetrain on the Nissan, they had to stick it on a low loader and sweep up the metal filings off the car park.

spacer.png

On 19/06/2022 at 19:59, chrisp65 said:

My mum had the same phone call, identical car and identical upgrade. She took it.

• Like 1

We got a new(ish) car on Friday. Nothing exciting, an MG HS. 5 days and someone has already banged into one of the doors, 5 days!! We've been careful where we parked being a new car, so not sure if it was a car door or something like a kid on a bike/scooter.

Just now, AlwaysAVFC said:

We got a new(ish) car on Friday. Nothing exciting, an MG HS. 5 days and someone has already banged into one of the doors, 5 days!! We've been careful where we parked being a new car, so not sure if it was a car door or something like a kid on a bike/scooter.

Horrible isn’t it.  When we took possession of our current car it was banged into by somebody within two days!  We do try and park by newer cars now but no guarantee.  

Other drivers are just weird.

I parked in a motorway services today, I parked quite a few rows back, well away from anyone else. There must have been literally hundreds of empty spaces. I came back out, and yes, someone had parked right next to me.

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I parked in a motorway services today, I parked quite a few rows back, well away from anyone else. There must have been literally hundreds of empty spaces. I came back out, and yes, someone had parked right next to me.

Social parkers do my head in. Doesn't matter how far away you park at the back of a deserted car park, someone assumes you'll be lonely and parks next to you.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 18:59, chrisp65 said:

Pretty much what happened to me (detailed earlier in this thread). 

Second hand value had rocketed so much it paid off my outstanding pcp and provided a big deposit on a new one so I got a new car (actually loads better) for nothing really, tiny increase in monthly payments and 4 more years before I need to consider what to do with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Bit of a herd mentality isn't it? People feel safer and more comfortable next to others. 

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Frustrating. It's why I would never have a new car again. I had a new Merc in '06. Think some word removed scratched it in a week. Neighbour managed to reverse into it a few weeks later and take half the front bumper off. 

I'll stick to my old shed! 

• Like 1

Fuming.

Ordered a car (lease) for Mrs. Bauer in March from Vanarama. Two weeks later and they say the colour isn't available so would we change. Reluctantly agree. Then a few months later they say the car is actually a 7kw not the 11kw version we order. Like it or lump it they say. Then they phone three weeks ago and say car is in country and should be with you imminently but no later than 24th June. So we sell current car which is picked up on Saturday. They've just phoned to say it's delayed til at least 14th July as car has only just arrived in country after all. They are full of crap. And on complaining it's basically a 'good luck but it's nothing to do with us'.

So now stuck and with no recourse apparently. 

Â