What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

That’s all fine. Location is a factor. But if you take all the drivers in a location, being rear ended on a Monday does not make it more or less likely that you will be rear ended on the Friday. The insurance companies treat you like it is more likely it will happen to you again, than if it hadn’t happened.  That’s simply not true.

I lived in Brum for 5 years and I was involved in 2 accidents.  Neither were my fault. 

In the last 20 years of living in a sleepy country village I have been involved in no accidents. 

That shows that ( in general) someone driving regularly in Brum is more likely to have an accident than someone driving in my current home area.  

Picked up my new car. 

It is absolutely identical to my previous car, literally no differences 😂😂

First journey other than driving it home from the dealer will be to Villa Park tomorrow. 

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Picked up my new car. 

It is absolutely identical to my previous car, literally no differences 😂😂

I think I’d rather have something shit and old in this case just for the novelty of having something different for a while.

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Considering purchasing a Volkswagen Tiguan. Has anyone here had one?

Had one for three years. An uninspiring drive but sturdy and almost no hassle. Before you part with any money, make sure they’ve replaced the sealant on the sunroof or you’ll end up with a pond in the footwell. 

Just now, Genie said:

I think I’d rather have something shit and old in this case just for the novelty of having something different for a while.

It's just how the cards fell on this occasion. Wasn't even looking for a change of car but they gave me the opportunity to replace it early at no cost. 

And the right car was on the boat happened to be the same colour. 

10 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I lived in Brum for 5 years and I was involved in 2 accidents.  Neither were my fault. 

In the last 20 years of living in a sleepy country village I have been involved in no accidents. 

That shows that ( in general) someone driving regularly in Brum is more likely to have an accident than someone driving in my current home area.  

Absolutely. I haven’t said otherwise. I’ve agreed location is a factor.

• 1 month later...

Another good YouTube guy.

This is a particularly good/mad example of these guys that take wrecks and try to repair them. The guy bought a 300 mile from new McLaren P1... that had been completely flooded and battered during a hurricane. They have footage of it bobbing around in sea water in a flooded town. It was found when the flood subsided resting on a toilet in the middle of the street.

So it's a wreck of course. 

But the thing is on most of these projects, it's a case of finding the parts and bolting it on with the odd bit of actual heavy duty mechanical and body work stuff. The problem with the P1 is there was only ever 375 of them made, so there's not many like for like parts available. And while there are some bits of the car that come from other McLaren cars, there's also issues like the P1 being a hybrid with a very unique battery set up, that costs more than most brand new luxury saloon cars alone, and being a hybrid from 13 years ago it's not really something you can just get another company to replicate or get off the shelf upgrades for.

So it's very interesting. Kinda the definition of a fools errand. But interesting. I can't really imagine many people would bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Question about Motor Insurance, I know there are insurance nerds, and car nerds, so hopefully I can get some guidance.

I am not that knowledgeable about NCD so hopefully I might get some help on this.

When I went to my last insurer for my Motorhome, I gave them proof of 5 years NCD, that was in 2019, I haven't claimed and I am leaving them now and they are advising me that I have 5 years NCD. So I am unsure why it hasn't moved on. Do I go back to AIB and ask them where are my years, particularly if in 2019 I can find evidence that I provided proof of 5 years NCD. My main thought is am I missing how NCD work and that figure is correct?

I did go back to them, interestingly, NCD stops accruing when its on a motorhome or campervan and only accrues on a daily vehicle.

Edited by Seat68

32 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

interestingly, NCD stops accruing when its on a motorhome or campervan and only accrues on a daily vehicle.

Yeah. I had similar when I insured my then car on a classic car policy. Twunts.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Do you still have the MX5?

No, I sold the second one about 6 ½ years ago and got an A3, which I still have (and it was a VW that I insured on the classic car insurance anyway).

On 13/11/2023 at 16:23, blandy said:

Yeah. I had similar when I insured my then car on a classic car policy. Twunts.

Good to know as I'm just about to get a camper as my daily vehicle.  I'll be checking when I get the Insurance what their stance is.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

New car day for the Mrs, gone Hybrid, she bottled fully electric.

20231107_135056.jpg

5th gen Sportage? Nice. 

The Koreans have made big strides in the car world in recent years.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

5th gen Sportage? Nice. 

The Koreans have made big strides in the car world in recent years.

Yeah really nice to be honest, Mrs just getting used to all the buttons, ohh and that she's never driven an auto. 😆

Heated steering wheel is a nice touch, my Merc ain't even got that. 🤣

• Like 1

Wife had a 2024 model Hyundai Kona courtesy car for the day as ours was in for a service. Very nice - larger and better packaged without being massive, quality  materials, well built, fabulous displays. It was sadly a clunky old-fashioned ICE thing under the hood but it at least confirms that the next-gen electric Kona is going to be a real gem.

• Like 1

Â