What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Got my charger installed today, linked ot to a EV tariff 7.9p KW (been payong 65p when I'm out). My car is 82KW, so working it out if I'm right, it's going to cost about £6.50 to fully charge, for 280 mile. If that's right, which it should be as it's part of my job, I'm gonna be rich beyond my wildest dreams, was costing me around £50 for same miles in my diesel car.  😵

• Like 2

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Got my charger installed today, linked ot to a EV tariff 7.9p KW (been payong 65p when I'm out). My car is 82KW, so working it out if I'm right, it's going to cost about £6.50 to fully charge, for 280 mile. If that's right, which it should be as it's part of my job, I'm gonna be rich beyond my wildest dreams, was costing me around £50 for same miles in my diesel car.  😵

‘tis the future.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Genie said:

‘tis the future.

Tis...... But as others have said, eventually the Government are going to wake up to the lost tax and do something.  I reckon pay per mile to use the roads.

Though hopefully by then we'll be paying the "true" price of electricity once it's been decoupled from gas, and the grid is mainly wind powered so that cost of filling up the car with leccy will be even cheaper than @foreveryoung is planning on. 

Hopefully Labour will be more motivated to do this than oil and gas lobby pocket Tories, added to which they'll also unleash land based Wind Turbines which produce even cheaper electricity than sea based turbines. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Thats a huge battery and you're only getting 280 miles? Heavy footed!

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

Thats a huge battery and you're only getting 280 miles? Heavy footed!

It's a BYD Seal manufacturer quotes 340, I've had 320 out of it, but perfect conditions cruise on at 56mph. Great car though. 

• Like 1

My motorhome has given me 12 months of anger and consternation. Its over 30 years old. Last year the bumper fell off and I had to reattach for it to get through the MOT. Then last month the clutch pedal broke. 32 year old van parts don’t exist any more so I had to get a welder to repair and I refitted it. Yesterday at Bearded Theory I returned to my van and someone had hit and run, bumper a crumpled mess. Wing and left light damaged to. Oh and detached from the starter motor solenoid meaning it wouldn’t start. So once repaired its gone, obviously the insurance might write it off, which I doubt for a bumper and a bit of wing/light damage. Regardless already neen to see my next van. Something a but newer. 

On 25/05/2024 at 12:16, NurembergVillan said:

With a heavy heart, I'm letting go of the Puma ST. Will sell below the asking price if a VTer wants it...

Worra motor, Jeff!

Why you selling it then? You going full lycra and getting a racing bicycle?

41 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Why you selling it then? You going full lycra and getting a racing bicycle?

Not quite, I just can't justify owning three cars and one of the two I own needs to be a shit tip I can ferry the kids and the dog about in.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2024 at 12:16, NurembergVillan said:

With a heavy heart, I'm letting go of the Puma ST. Will sell below the asking price if a VTer wants it...

Worra motor, Jeff!

My son would absolutely love that car. But he is 5.

• Haha 1

Car insurance, not really one for the piss me off thread, I just find it a bit weird.

Last year, somehow, AA were the cheapest offering the cover I needed. It was a touch over £400. 

This year, the renewal reminder comes through, they want £750, so I phone up and say don’t renew I’ll go elsewhere as a quick. Check on a couple of sites suggests other companies I’ve heard of will do it for £400 again.

Oh, let us just see if we can get it down from £700…. Yes, we can do it for £600. No thanks, 600 is a bigger number than 400. Ok, let me see if I can find anything else and put a bit of a discount on there… here we are, I can do it for 550 would you like to renew now?

I get that they clearly have a % of punters will just auto renew, so there is gouging money to be made. But why do the dance over the phone, I’ve told you I can get it for the same price as last year, why offer me 3 deals all of which are substantially higher.

Anyway, got it for £320 in the end. Which makes me think I didn’t do my research properly last year.

• Like 3

As of 2022, it's apparently illegal to offer a lower price to new customers, which was meant to put an end to all of that bollocks every year, but the law is clearly incredibly ineffective because I continue to go through the same nonsense as @chrisp65 on each renewal

• Like 2

I bought a new to me Motorhome last week. A lot younger than my other one. Did an online search for insurance and it came in at 460. Not bad I thought, I will sort that out later. Adrian Flux called me and said you had a quote online for 460, do you want to see if we can improve on that. Sure I said. Go for it. 20 minutes later and the best they can do is 800. **** ridiculous. So told them to do one and went for the second quote which was 465. 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Car insurance, not really one for the piss me off thread, I just find it a bit weird.

Last year, somehow, AA were the cheapest offering the cover I needed. It was a touch over £400. 

This year, the renewal reminder comes through, they want £750, so I phone up and say don’t renew I’ll go elsewhere as a quick. Check on a couple of sites suggests other companies I’ve heard of will do it for £400 again.

Oh, let us just see if we can get it down from £700…. Yes, we can do it for £600. No thanks, 600 is a bigger number than 400. Ok, let me see if I can find anything else and put a bit of a discount on there… here we are, I can do it for 550 would you like to renew now?

I get that they clearly have a % of punters will just auto renew, so there is gouging money to be made. But why do the dance over the phone, I’ve told you I can get it for the same price as last year, why offer me 3 deals all of which are substantially higher.

Anyway, got it for £320 in the end. Which makes me think I didn’t do my research properly last year.

These days I've found the companies don't even play the game anymore.

It used to be the annual routine

"This is expensive... I can get it cheaper elsewhere... here's a quote... you can get close to that?... ok deal?"

Last couple of times I've rang up they've basically just said "ok no worries I'll cancel that. Bye"

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

These days I've found the companies don't even play the game anymore.

It used to be the annual routine

"This is expensive... I can get it cheaper elsewhere... here's a quote... you can get close to that?... ok deal?"

Last couple of times I've rang up they've basically just said "ok no worries I'll cancel that. Bye"

Which is what I was expecting, the call was to make absolutely clear they were not to renew it.

The three options on the phone were 1 renew, 2 discuss, 3 cancel and I pressed that 3.

Once someone has made contact to cancel they clearly aren’t in the group to be gouged, so just get on with it.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Which is what I was expecting, the call was to make absolutely clear they were not to renew it.

The three options on the phone were 1 renew, 2 discuss, 3 cancel and I pressed that 3.

Once someone has made contact to cancel they clearly aren’t in the group to be gouged, so just get on with it.

I wonder if they changed something to justify a new price “oh, you’re not doing 12,000 miles a year now, when I change it to 11,500 miles the price comes way down (and I’m not acting illegally as it’s now a different policy criteria to the one we sent the renewal based on)”

I replaced my mk2 Kuga with a mk2.5 and kind of regretting it.

My original car was 2014 and I really liked it. Top spec and surprisingly refined for a Ford. Handled really well too. I thought that going the same, but newer would be the same, but better.

The facelift model got some tweaks to the outside and inside but main changes were the new touchscreen infotainment system with apple carplay and the engine which is basically the same but updated to be Euro 6 emissions compliant, rather than Euro 5 on the old one. 

Having driven it for a few months now it’s starting to annoy me that Ford seem to have wound back a lot of the refinement of the original car I had. The engine noticeably vibrates more, and despite supposedly having 20bhp more feels slower. The car rolls more around corners too. I guess they have stripped back some of the sound deadening pads and things like mass dampers on the chassis to make it smoother.

So although I thought it was the same but better, it hasn’t worked out that way. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

My original car was 2014 and I really liked it. Top spec and surprisingly refined for a Ford. Handled really well too. I thought that going the same, but newer would be the same, but better.

The facelift model got some tweaks to the outside and inside but main changes were the new touchscreen infotainment system with apple carplay and the engine which is basically the same but updated to be Euro 6 emissions compliant, rather than Euro 5 on the old one. 

Having driven it for a few months now it’s starting to annoy me that Ford seem to have wound back a lot of the refinement of the original car I had. The engine noticeably vibrates more, and despite supposedly having 20bhp more feels slower. The car rolls more around corners too. I guess they have stripped back some of the sound deadening pads and things like mass dampers on the chassis to make it smoother.

So although I thought it was the same but better, it hasn’t worked out that way. 

I always wanted a Ford. I had a 2003 Fusion (loved it) as my first car and I always look for fords as the next possible car.

But what annoys me is that for the same price, you can get a much better spec in a Seat or some Japanese/Korean brand. 

And the plastics on a Focus are annoying.

I still remember my dad buying a Focus estate in 2002. What a great car that was. 

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Good old TVM

Â