What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s true of all cars, extra refinement, technology and safety features adds a lot of mass.

Our C40 weighs over 2.5 tonnes. Although you wouldn’t know to drive it. Sprints to 60 in under 6 seconds.

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It was an estate but had a crazy turning circle because the wheels tilted so you almost pivoted on the spot. But that, I guess, is what killed tyres. I did over a quarter of a million miles in that. I believe shares in Goodyear slumped when I finally got rid of it.

Sounds similar to the Honda Prelude, that had 4-wheel steering on some models in the 3rd and 5th generations (not sure about the 4th)

It looks mad when you look at it below, but massively helped with the turning circle, and taking corners/roundabouts at a fair old lick

Prelude.webp

• Like 1

On 09/08/2023 at 07:57, Genie said:

My 2014 Kuga still does everything I could want. I’ve had it 4 or 5 years now and apart from a split rubber hose and a battery, brake pads and tyres it’s been completely unproblematic. It’s very comfortable and has all the bells and whistles.

I sometimes think about replacing it but just can’t justify it. 

I've got a 67 plate Mondeo with the Peugeot 180BHP diesel engine in it,  like you other than the usual suspects i absolutely love it.

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 19:58, chrisp65 said:

It’s fascinating the brand pre conceptions people have. In the past, many years ago, we had a Beetle and then we had a Golf and I loved that Golf. 

I’d have a Golf now, I actually like that staid utilitarian styling that hasn’t changed dramatically in 50 years. I’d have one, other than I can get a similarly sized Skoda with the same spec and the same extras for thousands less. About 25% less money, for essentially the same thing.

On the reliability, I can’t complain about a car that went 40,000 miles before it even needed tyres! Coming from owning a C Class that went through tyres every 15,000 miles I find that amazing.

I can’t say I wouldn’t consider a Peugeot, I just don’t automatically think of them, I’m sure they’re fine, I just keep forgetting about them.

I tell people i was brain washed at age 16 when i first started working for Peugeot 😂 , I'm not foolish enough to think there perfect but they're a very underrated car manufacturer.

The diesels were and still are brilliant. The newer 1.6 (120bhp ad blue) 1.5 (130bhp ad blue) pump out similar emissions to a hybrid.

I never had a big hatred for VW but since i've worked at Skoda, i've had to help out at a VW dealer a few times and i've absolutely hated it.

On 12/01/2020 at 12:20, Tegis said:

I would stay away from Dacia on the basis that it is a budget built, old version Renault. Which makes it about as reliable as Nigel Callaghan. Id rather find something Korean of I was hunting budget, assuming they have a suitable model.

I have an eight year old Sandero, bought it for £7k at one year old with 4k on the clock. It has never given me one moment of problems, passed every MOT and is cheap to run and maintain, I would say reliability was its best feature, that and the engine is very accessible to work on. It's cheap plastic on the inside and ugly exterior, but if I needed another car, I'd go for a Dacia

On 10/08/2023 at 11:14, StefanAVFC said:

Yes, for that price though I'd rather have a Volvo

The Renault Arkana is similar as well. 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

The Renault Arkana is similar as well. 

I’ve seen a few on the roads and it’s a very good looking car.

Renault%20Arkana%20SUV.jpg

Proportionally it’s how next generation SUV’s (BEV) will look in order to achieve better range.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, luckyeddie said:

I have an eight year old Sandero, bought it for £7k at one year old with 4k on the clock. It has never given me one moment of problems, passed every MOT and is cheap to run and maintain, I would say reliability was its best feature, that and the engine is very accessible to work on. It's cheap plastic on the inside and ugly exterior, but if I needed another car, I'd go for a Dacia

8vA3ll8.jpg

8 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

Yeah, I read it three years ago, and had to reply when I could. It may look like Ian Dowie and more plastic than the Etihad, but I do like my Dacia😁

Happy to hear you have a good one. Problematic cars are soul destroying and expensive, Natural Gas VW in my case, Never again

8 hours ago, Tegis said:

Happy to hear you have a good one. Problematic cars are soul destroying and expensive, Natural Gas VW in my case, Never again

I had a Vauxhall once, never again. There are many good ones out there but my 1 dip into the brand was a complete nightmare so I have vowed never again.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tegis said:

Yeah, my boss used to take the p*ss out of me for the car, while he drove around in a £100k Range Rover. He stopped laughing when his engine packed in 10 days out of warranty 🤣 he also didn't laugh when I explained I could buy 4 of my running cars for the cost of his new engine🤬

10 hours ago, Genie said:

I had a Vauxhall once, never again. There are many good ones out there but my 1 dip into the brand was a complete nightmare so I have vowed never again.

I had a '89 Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3 back in the day. Loved it. It was the CDi spec, so big plush velour seats. Probably my most comfortable car to drive. 

Nothing they have produced in the last 20 years or so have inspired me to return to the griffin badge. 

I had a 1990 Astra.   It was bought because I'd had massive issues with a Ford Orion which I subsequently found out had been clocked when trading standards contacted me. 

The Astra didn't give me a minutes trouble. Would have kept it longer but had the opportunity to buy a mint Mondeo from work for a stupid cheap price. 

• Like 1

Jaguar_4-door-Coupe_exclusive%20image.jp

Jaguar will be led into its all-electric future by a £100,000 four-door GT – and our exclusive image provides the clearest clues yet as to what to expect.

The dramatic rear image shows how the GT is likely to take a purposeful step away from the brand’s current line-up, with a wide stance, some distinct squared-off angles and straight lines, plus a prominent diffuser. The overall effect is enhanced by razor-thin tail-lights, while fans will also note that there is no Jaguar badging.  

As new JLR boss Adrian Mardell explained in an interview with Auto Express editor-in-chief Steve Fowler, there is a very clear desire to take Jaguar in a new direction with a fresh visual identity that expresses the emotion of the brand.

To that effect, Jaguar’s team of designers produced an array of different options that were considered by a number of key stakeholders, and what we see here is the first interpretation of a new design language that was virtually the unanimous choice of everyone involved and is described by Mardell as “jaw dropping”.

£100k electric Jags, it’s bold for sure.

Auto Express

On 14/08/2023 at 18:06, Xela said:

I had a '89 Vauxhall Cavalier Mk3 back in the day. Loved it. It was the CDi spec, so big plush velour seats. Probably my most comfortable car to drive. 

Nothing they have produced in the last 20 years or so have inspired me to return to the griffin badge. 

I had a Cav too, SRI130 hatchback, what a car, great noise when giving it some too.

• Like 1

Â