What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, all I hear now is their quality is very good and their software is streets ahead of The Chinese and legacy ICE manufacturers. 

Out of 32 brands they were 28th for reliability last time. I don’t think they are bringing anything new to the table either. The things on the cyber truck like steer by wire, 4 wheel steer, adaptive damping etc are already available on numerous cars. The new Chinese brands are the ones to watch, they are genuinely taking things to the next level.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Out of 32 brands they were 28th for reliability last time. I don’t think they are bringing anything new to the table either. The things on the cyber truck like steer by wire, 4 wheel steer, adaptive damping etc are already available on numerous cars. The new Chinese brands are the ones to watch, they are genuinely taking things to the next level.

The Chinese brands are great and changing the game but they are simply copying the other manufacturers.

The Tesla model 3 and Y are affordable, every day cars for ordinary people. The model Y is the best selling car in the world this year. If you can get past the very large hurdle that is Elon Musk, Tesla cars are excellent, there is absolutely no denying that.

7 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The Chinese brands are great and changing the game but they are simply copying the other manufacturers.

The Tesla model 3 and Y are affordable, every day cars for ordinary people. The model Y is the best selling car in the world this year. If you can get past the very large hurdle that is Elon Musk, Tesla cars are excellent, there is absolutely no denying that.

Wait till you see some of the Chinese cars over here, they are crazy advanced and refined. They have features we haven’t even thought of yet. 

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

Wait till you see some of the Chinese cars over here, they are crazy advanced and refined. They have features we haven’t even thought of yet. 

I know all about them, but it really just comes down to driving, range, charging and batteries.

1 hour ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I know all about them, but it really just comes down to driving, range, charging and batteries.

There’s loads of new tech and features in the cars. Things like fully flat reclining rear seats like a first class flight. Super smooth and refined autonomous driving. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

There’s loads of new tech and features in the cars. Things like fully flat reclining rear seats like a first class flight. Super smooth and refined autonomous driving. 

They are all playing catch up with Tesla.

42 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Efficiency, BMS, charging, charging infrastructure, software, battery supply chain.

They aren’t the most efficient cars in the market, and they aren’t the fastest to charge either. 

I’m not sure how to measure the others to determine they are the best.

Their desire to have 99% of functions in a massive tablet in the middle of the car makes them hard to use whilst driving, which makes them dangerous. Nobody is copying this.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

They aren’t the most efficient cars in the market, and they aren’t the fastest to charge either. 

I’m not sure how to measure the others to determine they are the best.

Their desire to have 99% of functions in a massive tablet in the middle of the car makes them hard to use whilst driving, which makes them dangerous. Nobody is copying this.

What's more efficient?

There are cars that reach a higher top charging speed but I'm talking about the full charging curve. And in that price range.

The touch screen controls is a deal breaker for many, but it is going that way for many cars.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What's more efficient?

Carmagazine says the Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat 500, VW ID and Renault Megane are more efficient. 

Everyone has a touchscreen now, but Tesla’s strategy of putting so much in there seems crazy to me.

Theres being bold, then there’s being stupidly bold, which seems to be Musk’s specialty.

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Carmagazine says the Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat 500, VW ID and Renault Megane are more efficient. 

Everyone has a touchscreen now, but Tesla’s strategy of putting so much in there seems crazy to me.

Theres being bold, then there’s being stupidly bold, which seems to be Musk’s specialty.

There no way that is correct. I've been driving electric cars for 6 years and I don't own a Tesla but in terms of tech they are the best, they're not necessarily to everyone's taste and Elon Musk is a word removed but Tesla make good cars. It is undeniable.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Tesla with 2,000,000 defective cars that need patching (on top of their other recalls).

Tesla is recalling more than two million cars after the US regulator found its driver assistance system, Autopilot, was partly defective.

It follows a two-year investigation into crashes at the firm owned by billionaire Elon Musk, which occurred when Autopilot was in use. 

The recall applies to almost every Tesla sold in the US since the Autopilot feature was launched in 2015.

link

Had a training today at Brooklands. They were showcasing a latest technology Mercedes EQG G wagon electric. But they wanted us to concentrate on the technology not the vehicle, so it was painted Vantablack, which fortunately ended up being the talking point. Never seen it before on anything, or anywhere. It's a £35000 option paint, which does not reflect light, well 99'6% of it. I wanted to get a picture but we couldn't, they took our phones, which is usual practice on these courses, unreal colour though. There's a BMW on google this colour, if you want to look, couldn't see the lines or shape, hard to explain, like magic.

Anyway the technology was new Silicon Anode batteries, 400 mile range on a 3 tonne car and auto pilot that works, coming to a EV vehicle near you soon.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 2

On 14/12/2023 at 21:35, foreveryoung said:

Had a training today at Brooklands. They were showcasing a latest technology Mercedes EQG G wagon electric. But they wanted us to concentrate on the technology not the vehicle, so it was painted Vantablack, which fortunately ended up being the talking point. Never seen it before on anything, or anywhere. It's a £35000 option paint, which does not reflect light, well 99'6% of it. I wanted to get a picture but we couldn't, they took our phones, which is usual practice on these courses, unreal colour though. There's a BMW on google this colour, if you want to look, couldn't see the lines or shape, hard to explain, like magic.

Anyway the technology was new Silicon Anode batteries, 400 mile range on a 3 tonne car and auto pilot that works, coming to a EV vehicle near you soon.

£35k option, or £3.5k option?

£35k is actually pretty cheap for Vantablack, you'll be lucky to get your bonnet done in it for 3.5k. A few years ago BMW had a demo model with it, and were said to be thinking of offering it for north of 50k, but they never made it public; safety was a factor, so interesting to see Merc willing to go ahead with it.

• Thanks 1

Â