What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

It was the 4x4 transfer case wasn't it? Same one as the Cav Turbo 4x4.

I'd be looking for the V6... with full leather and automatic. More of a tourer than a sports car like the turbo. 

I had a Mk3 Cavalier, 2.0i 8v CDi. Loved it. Most comfortable car i've owned. Shame that Vauxhall went to shit in recent times. I've always had a soft spot for the older ones. Dad had 2x Senators and I took my driving lessions/test in a Corsa in 1997 :) 

That's correct, transfer box failed. The V6 is the sensible choice 👍

Posted (edited)

BYD now overtaken Tesla as the largest selling electric car manufacturer in the world.  I expect them to race ahead now. 

Tesla another one who will struggle by being so slow to release affordable EVs. 

There are going to be a hell of a lot of people jumping into BYD cars who will develop brand loyalty / familiarity and move forwards with them.

Traditional car companies who insist on only selling stupidly expensive electric SUVs are ultimately going to lose market share. They should be looking for a cheap EV as a loss leader introduction to their brand. 

People like Vauxhall releasing a electric Corsa at £32,000 are going to get destroyed. 

Edited by sidcow

I do wonder how much negativity Mr Musk brings to his car brand.

Given a choice of an ugly out of proportion Tesla by Musk, or pretty much anything else, I’d probably pick anything else.

23 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

That's correct, transfer box failed. The V6 is the sensible choice 👍

I believe the transferbox was electronically controlled and you only had to remove a fuse to make it 2wd.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

BYD now overtaken Tesla as the largest selling electric car manufacturer in the world.  I expect them to race ahead now. 

Tesla another one who will struggle by being so slow to release affordable EVs. 

There are going to be a hell of a lot of people jumping into BYD cars who will develop brand loyalty / familiarity and move forwards with them.

Traditional car companies who insist on only selling stupidly expensive electric SUVs are ultimately going to lose market share. They should be looking for a cheap EV as a loss leader introduction to their brand. 

People like Vauxhall releasing a electric Corsa at £32,000 are going to get destroyed. 

The model Y was the best selling electric car in the world last year. Tesla just won't have the capacity to keep up with the Chinese. But they are smashing the traditional car companies.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone seen or have any experience with the Genesis range of cars ?  .. its basically the premium badge for Hyundai  , but their cars seem to be well stacked with features and getting some really good reviews 

not exactly cheap , but you could pretty much stick every available extra option in one and come in at the equivalent price of a bog standard BMW or Merc and on paper it seems get a far better level of customer service than the prestige brands .. 5 year Servicing is included in the price of the car  and they collect your car and give you a hire car for the day  within that

• Like 1

I'm planning my next car but genuinely stumped as to what I'll have next. I tend to buy cars that are 3yrs old with less than 25,000 on the clock but try to find something that I want to drive (as I spend a fair amount of time behind the wheel). 

I think I'm stuck in Compact SUV territory so it's one of F-Pace, Q5 or Lexus I think. Much as I love my current Stelvio, they've gone up too much in price in the last few years. Would love to go electric but there is no way for me to charge one where I live so maybe hybrid is the only option. What are my other options?

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

anyone seen or have any experience with the Genesis range of cars ?  .. its basically the premium badge for Hyundai  , but their cars seem to be well stacked with features and getting some really good reviews 

If you buy one we can go for a drive together. I will follow you, will you follow me? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If you buy one we can go for a drive together. I will follow you, will you follow me? 

I’m kinda tempted , was looking at a Velar or another 5 series but I keep coming back to the GV70 , best one seems to be the full electric though and I’m not overly keen on that ( the idea of stopping on a long journey for 30 mins doesn’t appeal to me ) 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, I just thought if you had a fancy car you might also have a garage, I was going to bully you.

Oh. I do have a yacht on my private lake if that helps? Just the one though. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh. I do have a yacht on my private lake if that helps? Just the one though. 

Ha, peasant. You know you've made it when you have a private lake on your yacht, and you have a smaller yacht on that lake. Like Lucas Digne. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2023 at 22:07, Xela said:

Its here...

I've been reading with a mixture of amusement and disbelief that they didn't even clearcoat this thing, so the panels are bare stainless steel and owners are expected to immediately wash off anything that could damage it. Like road salt, tree sap, bird dropping, insects...And obviously when it corrodes, and you didn't follow their guidance to 'immediately' wash those substances off, you're out of luck.

Obviously you should wash that stuff, especially the bird droppings, off your painted car asap too, but without even the clearcoat to protect it, It'll be interesting to see how one of these things looks after a winter belonging to someone not willing to wash it after every drive.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I've been reading with a mixture of amusement and disbelief that they didn't even clearcoat this thing, so the panels are bare stainless steel and owners are expected to immediately wash off anything that could damage it. Like road salt, tree sap, bird dropping, insects...And obviously when it corrodes, and you didn't follow their guidance to 'immediately' wash those substances off, you're out of luck.

Obviously you should wash that stuff, especially the bird droppings, off your painted car asap too, but without even the clearcoat to protect it, It'll be interesting to see how one of these things looks after a winter belonging to someone not willing to wash it after every drive.

I saw some pictures of some of them wrapped and that makes a big improvement to the look and the durability of the body.

cybertruck-matte-black.jpg

tesla-cybertruck-paint.jpeg

Still a stupid car for stupid people though.

Edited by Genie
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many people will sue Tesla if the bodies do all rot away and not covered by warranties.

Usually the paintwork is covered for 10 years on regular cars. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I wonder how many people will sue Tesla if the bodies do all rot away and not covered by warranties.

Usually the paintwork is covered for 10 years on regular cars. 

It won't rot like mild stainless. It's the same metal used in SpaceX rockets, 2mm Stainless steel alloy, which can stain, but it'll be a long long time unitl it rusts like a old Alfa. I've actually seen one in the flesh, it's a special vehicle, but god damm ugly. There not much space either since it's a truck, as the battery takes up most of the space.

Tesla are starting to fall away as predicted with BYD/Mercedes becoming the biggest seller of electric cars in 2022/23. They sell BYD at lots of Mercedes dealers now, I'm actually trying to blag a demo from Stockport for a week. 😆

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They sell BYD at lots of Mercedes dealers now, I'm actually trying to blag a demo from Stockport for a week. 😆

LSH Auto?

Â