What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I took my Vauxhall Nova to a run what ya brung at Santa Pod late 1990s. It had a a 2.0 16v engine in it from an Astra 16v was in Max Power, ole skool style. Beat a Sierra Cossie, did a 14.8 second quarter, Cossie standard was 15.3, I think. I have a Renault 5GT turbo now, half restored bare shell resprayed, just need to fit it back together, although been saying that for about 5 years. To be honest I don't even want it now, I would like to sell it and buy a Mercedes C63 2017-2018, 6.2 litre V8, engine sounds unreal.

40 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Haha. I used to insure Santa Pod. I ways smiled at the run what you brung moniker. 

Yeah, I did Santa Pod a couple of times too. Saw an engine fly out of a car vertically and land a few feet away from a stand full of spectators.

Driving another friend’s Beetle across a field at Santa Pod, well, the short version is that I hit a divot the car flexed and I fell out. As the driver, this was problematic.

Happy times.  

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I did Santa Pod a couple of times too. Saw an engine fly out of a car vertically and land a few feet away from a stand full of spectators.

I do hope that was before/after my time😂😂

My brother in law used to customise Beetles with all the engine sticking out and that. 

His last major project was a beach buggy. Put a VW Camper Van engine in it which was MASSIVELY oversized for a glass fibre bodied car. He was supposed to put a concrete block in the front for stability but left it out which allowed him to perform wheelies in his car. 

He showed it to me before he got rid of it. He had a couple of pipes which needed capping off and found the lids from a sharwoods curry sauce bottle fit perfectly😂

Mrs Sidcow has many childhood/young teen memories of pushing his beetles down various roads far and wide. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I loved cars when I was a kid, then one day I realised that for me they were essentially white goods.

I love cars. I love watching videos on YouTube about them, especially the older ones. However, with the state of the roads and traffic nowadays, along with the selfishness of other drivers, I wouldn't want to spend a fortune on a car that I'd be worried about using or getting scratched in the Morrisons car park*

Its more of a passive love of cars now. Dream about a classic 911 turbo, or BMW CSL, while driving around in a battered Nissan Micra.

* I'm also a tight bastard, so hate spending money. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Just ordered an DBX which is more appropriate for a man of my age (can actually get in and most importantly out easily)  Very excited 

No need to visit the cost of living thread ;) 

Why not eh mate, treat yourself! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I took my Vauxhall Nova to a run what ya brung at Santa Pod late 1990s. It had a a 2.0 16v engine in it from an Astra 16v was in Max Power, ole skool style. Beat a Sierra Cossie, did a 14.8 second quarter, Cossie standard was 15.3, I think. I have a Renault 5GT turbo now, half restored bare shell resprayed, just need to fit it back together, although been saying that for about 5 years. To be honest I don't even want it now, I would like to sell it and buy a Mercedes C63 2017-2018, 6.2 litre V8, engine sounds unreal.

Pug 205 GTI was the best late 80s hot hatch IMO, but I do see the appeal of the 5 Turbo as well. Something about those flimsy French hatchbacks! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

No need to visit the cost of living thread ;) 

Why not eh mate, treat yourself! 

Had virtually every Aston since the DB7, this is moving into old man territory🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

@Follyfoot should be driving around in one of these, calling people "faaaaackin slags"

F0tw5jS.jpg

My favourite episode of Sopranos this

"You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator."

"His house looked like shit."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

"You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator."

Going OT here but it was the first episode of the sopranos I watched 

Was at work in the canteen reading someone else's the sun or the mirror and they had a one liner something like watch this tonight as it's the greatest hour of TV you'll ever watch so I did and it was 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Going OT here but it was the first episode of the sopranos I watched 

Was at work in the canteen reading someone else's the sun or the mirror and they had a one liner something like watch this tonight as it's the greatest hour of TV you'll ever watch so I did and it was 

Pine Barrens isn't even the best episode in the whole series and still it's better than any other episode of any other show IMO,

But back on topic, I don't drive at the minute, no use for a car, and I'm pissed half the time anyway so it'd be a massive nuisance having to drive too.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Thought it was "Essex Boys", but then that didn't happen in the snow.

13 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Just ordered an DBX which is more appropriate for a man of my age (can actually get in and most importantly out easily)  Very excited 

Boom !! Superb , got me excited aswell !!

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Thought it was "Essex Boys", but then that didn't happen in the snow.

It did. It snowed that night in Rettendon. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've always loved the shape of the Calibra. I nearly purchased one in 2001 (went with an E30 BMW instead). If I was going to get a 'modern classic' then it would probably be what I went for. Prices still ok, as Vauxhalls don't attract the silly premium like Fords do. 

A thing of beauty. Most aerodynamic production car in the world at the time, I think

620038-as8cl8rcjr-whr.jpg

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

I've always loved the shape of the Calibra. I nearly purchased one in 2001 (went with an E30 BMW instead). If I was going to get a 'modern classic' then it would probably be what I went for. Prices still ok, as Vauxhalls don't attract the silly premium like Fords do. 

A thing of beauty. Most aerodynamic production car in the world at the time, I think

620038-as8cl8rcjr-whr.jpg

My dad had the turbo 4x4 version. Lovely car, extremely quick. The diff was made of paper mache though. 

You rarely see nice examples on the road these days 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

My dad had the turbo 4x4 version. Lovely car, extremely quick. The diff was made of paper mache though. 

You rarely see nice examples on the road these days 

It was the 4x4 transfer case wasn't it? Same one as the Cav Turbo 4x4.

I'd be looking for the V6... with full leather and automatic. More of a tourer than a sports car like the turbo. 

I had a Mk3 Cavalier, 2.0i 8v CDi. Loved it. Most comfortable car i've owned. Shame that Vauxhall went to shit in recent times. I've always had a soft spot for the older ones. Dad had 2x Senators and I took my driving lessions/test in a Corsa in 1997 :) 

Â