What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

I actually quite like that. I'd drive around pretending I was in a 1950's cartoon or something.

On the subject of Kia, I had one in Mozam about 8 years ago. A big 4wd thing. Absolutely awful. Most uncomfortable ride, sloppy steering and no poke whatsoever. How I ever got done for speeding in it, I'll never know.

8 years is a long time though when plotting the evolution of Kia - I'm sure they're a bit less detestable these days.

I think we've knocked Qashqais in this thread before.

When I was in Ireland a couple of weeks back I had one of the new ones as a hire car. I can report that whilst it was definitely better than the last time I had one, they are still quite shit.

As a passenger this one was lovely. Much roomier than the previous one (which was small for a crossover), very comfortable, nice interior. Great.

But as a driver the faults are all still there. The steering is so wooly it's actually very hard to control if you're doing any windy turns (which I do where we stay in Ireland). There were times when the car had straightened up long before the steering had. You can turn the wheel about 45 degrees before anything happens.

It also constantly feels like the car is about to slide off the road. I know it's a fake 4x4, but I'd still expect a car built like that to be a lot sturdier on the road. Just feels so unstable.

That being said, it was the budget version, it didn't even have alloy wheels, so maybe if you get a higher spec it would be better.

So I was impressed by the new look (it's a nice looking car) and the comfort as a passenger. But it still drives like a wardrobe on roller skates.

I had one in Ireland last year as a rental also and pretty much echo your comments on them , nice looking externally but to drive nothing special at all.Also inside it felt very cheap.

Its horses for courses. 

I like the A1s super low driving position chucking it around corners and actually driving....but I also like our Freelander's "big leather sofa" approach to motoring. Nice high driving position to laud it over fellow motorists in their silly little cars. 

There is an element of 'lauding it' alright, which I also don't get.  To me that person has, in a way, just given up on driving.  Driving position doesn't equate to status whatsoever.  You can get a high driving position in a Ssangyong Rodius or one of those minging Nissan Jukes.  As you say, horses for courses.  I like to drive a petrol car with a manual gearbox.

I've just had 3 days, 900 miles of driving a BMW, er, not sure what it was actually. It was like a bit 4x4 shaped but sort of rounded. Anyway, it was **** huge, too wide to park on the side of the road. It was a 2.0 litre diesel automatic M series big thing.

It can go very fast. If you like sitting high up to look over the hedges and bully the car in front, but you also want to feel every painted line on the road bump up through the car and transfer to your arse - this is the car for you. 

yes, yes it was, well found (obviously an excellent description on my part)

it was ok, I wouldn't turn it down if I won it as a prize, but I'm not sure why somebody would want such a hard ride on British roads, all that money and they left out the shock absorbers and made it look 4x4 but put low profile tyres on big alloys - all a bit confused, shirley?

I'll probably be changing my car at some point 

I'm sorta tempted by the Tesla but still think it's early days for electric cars and I'd be better giving that a few years but the 3 seconds 0-60 appeals to the boy racer in me 

and having tried to squeeze a weekend family camping trip into the boot of an A5 a few times I'm thinking  wouldn't a Range Rover be handy , even though I've never been a fan of big cars like that

but either way I'm not seeing cars that scream "buy me " or cars that make me go "want" 

• Like 1

Yes, I might be forced into buying a new* car over the next few days (hence the BMW rental), mine either needs a £300 repair or it's a new Mercedes auto gearbox and therefore time to walk away.

Right now, having had a little look around, I'd probably do the most boring thing possible and buy the same thing again.

*I say 'new' but in truth it could be new or used, certainly doesn't have to be new new.

My preeeeeeeeeeecious

Sqc4lwj.jpg

The crappy part of getting a new job, I have to return this baby :( It's been a bloody good car.

Bought a new, not quite the same caliber. Will take a photo tomorrow

It looks like my trusty old Focus Estate will be going soon. After over 7 years ownership and with over 172k on the clock it's time for something a little more up to date. A neighbour will be buying it off me when the time comes (hopefully in around 4 weeks time if things fall into place) and then I'll be off to the Volvo dealers, but I'm torn between a V60 D3 R Design or an XC60 D3.

Obviously used, before anyone thinks I'm minted.

I think we've knocked Qashqais in this thread before.

When I was in Ireland a couple of weeks back I had one of the new ones as a hire car. I can report that whilst it was definitely better than the last time I had one, they are still quite shit.

As a passenger this one was lovely. Much roomier than the previous one (which was small for a crossover), very comfortable, nice interior. Great.

But as a driver the faults are all still there. The steering is so wooly it's actually very hard to control if you're doing any windy turns (which I do where we stay in Ireland). There were times when the car had straightened up long before the steering had. You can turn the wheel about 45 degrees before anything happens.

It also constantly feels like the car is about to slide off the road. I know it's a fake 4x4, but I'd still expect a car built like that to be a lot sturdier on the road. Just feels so unstable.

That being said, it was the budget version, it didn't even have alloy wheels, so maybe if you get a higher spec it would be better.

So I was impressed by the new look (it's a nice looking car) and the comfort as a passenger. But it still drives like a wardrobe on roller skates.

I had one in Ireland last year as a rental also and pretty much echo your comments on them , nice looking externally but to drive nothing special at all.Also inside it felt very cheap.

I've had one for a year now (the highest spec), and I understand what you guys are saying. The steering is light, and there could be more torque.

Other than that, I love it. You have to pay a lot more for other cross overs to get the same accessories as Quashqai.

Â