What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Quick question regarding GAP insurance, who have peeps gone with for theirs?

The Volvo dealer was talking about £399 for 3 years, which is obviously ridiculous.

I was thinking about some sort of puncture cover but I can buy a spacesaver, tray and tools for £230, which I'd be happier with TBH.

So details are as follows:

- Cash Value - £21,450

- Deposit - £4,000

- APR - 9.2%

- Flat Rate - 4.7% (I still don't know what this is)

- 48 Months

- GFV - £8,299

- 8,000 miles

- £282 pcm

- Total charges at end of 4 years - £17,824 or £26,000 if I make the baloon payment

Does that seem like a good deal. Also from what the guy said I could conceivably sell the car in 2 years time and settle the finance myself. Is that correct?

Regarding the last point, yes it is and you will almost certainly get a better deal by doing so. With my last one I was going to sell it privately then settle the finance rather than give it to BMW as I would have been left with some cash, in the end though I gave it to Audi in part ex and they gave me even more for it as they wanted my trade over BMW.

PCP deals are pretty good but don't believe them when they come out with the old chestnut of "you'll probably have £x amount of your deposit back at the end of the 2 years to put into your next car" it won't happen.

I've had a couple of PCP deals with Sytner and they are okay as long as you go into it with a good grasp of the deal which you will I'm sure.

The 4.7% is the interest charge I believe.

Thanks Trent.  Yeah the APR is much better for brand new.  The above quote was for a 2 year old used car. I might look at Audi.  Quite like the A4.  

Does it have to be BMW?

For instance, I've just got a quote on DTD for an A5 coupe 190 S line TDI multitronic, £35k car discounted to £28k. Then the balloon will be more like £12k, and you'll probably be paying the same kind of monthly figure (or slightly more) as the APR would be more like 5% over 48 months with a £4k deposit.

Will look at Audi definitely.  A4 maybe.

I need a cheap private plate and I need one quick.

Just bought a smart car for the commute to work and the first 3 parts of the registration are KR0 

FFS if I had noticed that before I bought it I would have walked on by 

Torch it, its tainted. Just insure it first.

This BMW salesman is annoying me so much. Keeps saying I am missing out on great deals and I need to move fast. Tempted to go for Audi just because he has annoyed me so much. Might look at the new A4 but no details on what the finance deals will be yet.

The Lupo GTI costs me £225 tax, doesn't do especially good MPG, needs quite a few things fixing on it, only does about 10 miles a week, and is currently worth about £4000 to enthusiasts.

A new Renault Zoe is £130 a month including battery lease, free tax, nigh on free running costs, all warranty, recovery, etc included. No deposit.

It's a no brainer isn't it?

I don't particularly get what makes them desirable either (I presume that's what he means). It's a relatively prestigious marque in that they're quite pricey, so you're showing people you're a little better than your VW-driving neighbour. But you're getting less for your money and it comes with the stigma that you're probably a rocket polisher behind the wheel without even realising it :)

• Like 1

I don't particularly get what makes them desirable either (I presume that's what he means). It's a relatively prestigious marque in that they're quite pricey, so you're showing people you're a little better than your VW-driving neighbour. But you're getting less for your money and it comes with the stigma that you're probably a rocket polisher behind the wheel without even realising it :)

They're not that much more expensive than VW. And you certainly don't get less for your money.

They're just a make of car. What makes Mercedes desirable or BMW, or Range Rover or anything else?

I like them because they're the best looking "normal" car out there, imo. And by normal I mean cars that I can realistically afford at this stage in my life. An A5 coupe (which I can't quite afford... yet) is beautiful.
And that stigma you talk of is far more prevalent in BMW drivers or mercedes drivers (but especially BMW), imo obviously.

Â