World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

It’s novel. It won’t be like this ever again ( timeline wise ) Not pleased it’s in the middle of the PL season but is what it is. England’s group is fraught with danger i think. They’ll deal with Iran easily. Most of the states team are playing a very high level throughout Europe. And Wales won’t be easy. Think the winner comes from Brazil or Argentina. Weather gonna be roasting, not sure european sides can hack it. 

On 13/11/2022 at 18:15, Marka Ragnos said:

Anyone else in a dual-nationality quandary?

UK-US dually torn right down the middle with Group B. Never quite sure where my allegiances finally lie when it comes to the WC. I have English Daddy Issues, I suppose. But I love England and America the same.

I do feel irritated about no Villa players on England, and Southgate seems wooden to me, but there's also a strong emotional connection to England I can't rid myself of and wouldn't ever want to, really. On the other hand, I'd love to see Team USA thump England because every time I hear some ignorant football-related comment about America, it makes England seem less likable somehow. Still, it's hard to get the Chelsea out of my head when I see Pulisic, but I admire him, too. I like Brenden Aaronson a lot. 

My 93-year-old dad from Bewdley Worcestershire will be all in for England but he'll also feel some allegiance towards Wales, as he used to spent time there as a kid.

I'll probably do my best to back both England and USA (leaning slightly toward the USA) until USA is inevitably eliminated, then I'll start doing embarrassing things like paint an England flag on my car.     

Bewdleys down the road from me, lovely village 👍

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

England fans...

It's like the world cup is being held in north korea

They won't know what's hit them when the real England fans turn up and start throwing things in....wait, did they build any canals?

31 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

England’s group is fraught with danger i think. They’ll deal with Iran easily. Most of the states team are playing a very high level throughout Europe. And Wales won’t be easy.

Both Wales and Iran have very similar rankings. I know they almost worthless as an indication but I am not so sure of the winning “easily”.  Let’s face it  Southgate is in charge so anything can happen. 

35 minutes ago, Withnail said:

Both Wales and Iran have very similar rankings. I know they almost worthless as an indication but I am not so sure of the winning “easily”.  Let’s face it  Southgate is in charge so anything can happen. 

I think England have bigger problems than Southgate that they just won't be used to, such as the temperature and pre-cup build up.

Iran, on the other hand, are used to adversity on the national stage during a grueling qualification stage that includes heat, humidity, height and poor facilities.

Add to that, they've already been in Qatar acclimatising since their league broke/finished at the end of October.

An upset isn't really that hard to imagine.

58 minutes ago, Withnail said:

Iran have an inflated ranking because they win games in a ridiculously easy qualifying zone. They have to get points for winning games. They’d do well to come to 3rd or 4th in a UEFA qualifying group. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It would be incredible if England lose the opening game to Iran. Absolutely hilarious. 

I'd love it.

Maguire and Pickford cock up and Sterling misses a hatful.

Out of form favourites that shouldn't be in the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Iran are a tricky team, they nearly got out of a group with Portugal and Spain in the last World Cup and are well organised so difficult to break down

I remember they defended superbly end Messi look terrible until the 92nd min and he got literally one chance and scored

Meh. Not interested in England at the best of times, no doubt I will watch them though. 

Absolute disgrace it's being held in Qatar. I hope the money was worth it. 

Will be interesting to see if there will be any panorama type programmes showing the real Qatar running concurrently, doubt it.

9 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I think England have bigger problems than Southgate that they just won't be used to, such as the temperature and pre-cup build up.

Iran, on the other hand, are used to adversity on the national stage during a grueling qualification stage that includes heat, humidity, height and poor facilities.

Add to that, they've already been in Qatar acclimatising since their league broke/finished at the end of October.

Happened before at World Cup, Argentina v Cameroon, France v Senegal.

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Iran have an inflated ranking because they win games in a ridiculously easy qualifying zone. They have to get points for winning games. They’d do well to come to 3rd or 4th in a UEFA qualifying group. 

But sticking 10 past San Marino is the sign of a true champion.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Happened before at World Cup, Argentina v Cameroon, France v Senegal.

Not even that, 2010 we had Slovenia, Algeria and USA and scraped through including being booed off, finished 2nd in that group and got dicked by germany

We're better than that now though, this team will blag at least a QF

11 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

So England might win after all? 

• Haha 1

Â