World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Anyone think we'll see a player pull up their shirt after a goal celebration to reveal an anti Qatar message? Or maybe a pro LQBTQ+ messge. I'd love it if that happened.

Surely they'd be too high profile to get any repercussions. There couldn't be a more standout way to call attention to it.  And Qatar might suffer enough of a corresponding backlash if they tried to clampdown on it that it would make them wish they hadn't bothered bribing half the world to host it.

Can but dream...

Even if it happens, it will be too late.

4 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Anyone think we'll see a player pull up their shirt after a goal celebration to reveal an anti Qatar message? Or maybe a pro LQBTQ+ messge. I'd love it if that happened.

Surely they'd be too high profile to get any repercussions. There couldn't be a more standout way to call attention to it.  And Qatar might suffer enough of a corresponding backlash if they tried to clampdown on it that it would make them wish they hadn't bothered bribing half the world to host it.

Can but dream...

Denmark players might do something, or possibly Germany or Australia perhaps?

Most likely thou they've been advised by their FA's to not do it. When it comes down to it they know who are paying them and who runs football. It's Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Kalvin Phillips fit to sit on Citeh bench, and hopeful of regaining spot in England squad.

Safegate on hearing this news:

spacer.png

Odds on Phillips staring in midfield? 

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

The general football supporting public (at least the ones with a brain) have been waiting for someone, anyone to do something. UEFA, the FA, the players. No-one is going to do anything beyond small tokenism. They are all on the gravy train. The players know which side their bread is buttered and aren't going to rock the boat.

The only people who have any real power are the fans. There should have been a concerted worldwide effort by fans to just boycott the whole thing. Not go to Qatar or even watch the TV. Unfortunately we have all had to deal with a pandemic, rising costs of living etc.

It's a farce and blatantly due to corruption. But nothing dramatic is going to happen and certainly nothing will change.

Ya, but Santa is on the USMNT side... :D 

I have to say, it has not really sunk in that this is in a few weeks. With the HR issues, dodgy nature of how it was awarded, the ineptitude of Southgate and the odd timing of it means that it has really passed me by. I will end up watching the odd game (probably suffering the England games and maybe the Final) but certainly won't be trying to catch as much as possible. With it being Qatar has really soured it, just everything is wrong about it. Barring money, what was other reason was there for letting Qatar host?

And as for Blatter to say now that it shouldn't host. I know his case was thrown out the other month, but he is linked to most of the corruption in football. Why wasn't he saying that when he was president and/or actually have influence over it? Just stinks and has really tainted football.

Also, who are we likely to lose? Martinez, Cash, Bednerak and Dendoncker? Is that it? I know Watkins, Ings and Mings are on the fringes of the England squad but suspect that they will be screwed over by Southgate. Digne and Kamara also on the fringes of the French squad but also seem unlikely. Am I missing anyone? From a purely selfish perspective, normally I want as many Villa but I am quite glad that we are not missing many as it means Emery is going to have a nearly full squad for 2 months to reprogram. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

For the rich, by the rich 

Haha I was in that bar last week and stayed in the hotel, cost “only” £10 each for pints of Stella during happy hour and “free” very nice spiced popcorn. The hotel deal was only £60 for 2 nights through Qatar Airways, that was cheap.

Edited by fightoffyour

5 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Is this the case all over the country or has journalist gone to the most expensive place they can find and rounded up a bit?

The former at a guess

And I'm not sure why, if they'd done some proper journalism (!) rather gone for the bullshit shock story they could have written a piece on what fans will actually experience out there, such as the price as a pint of bud in the fan parks outside the ground which won't be anywhere near £80 but I'd lazily guess they'll be around £12 and that they can't drink in the ground

The thing being the truth will still disgust people, they don't need to fluff it up like that

10 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Is this the case all over the country or has journalist gone to the most expensive place they can find and rounded up a bit?

Read the article and you see that's the most expensive option and only applies to the semis and final. That said, the group stage costs £48 entry, and for that you get 3 bottles of bud and a 3 hr timeslot, so still extortionate. 

Other venues charging up to £100 entry, never less than £30.

It's inhibitively expensive, but then alcohol was already expensive in that country so not sure anyone expected any different.

Of the many reasons it's a shit choice to host, this is probably the least bad. But it's definitely a very very bad joke.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The former at a guess

And I'm not sure why, if they'd done some proper journalism (!) rather gone for the bullshit shock story they could have written a piece on what fans will actually experience out there, such as the price as a pint of bud in the fan parks outside the ground which won't be anywhere near £80 but I'd lazily guess they'll be around £12 and that they can't drink in the ground

The thing being the truth will still disgust people, they don't need to fluff it up like that

Sounds cheaper than Wembley ! :D

• Like 1

I see the media witch -hunt against Ivan Toney continues. Southgate no longer has to worry about finding a pretext to keep Toney out of the squad that's picked on Thursday. Something isn't right, he picked him last month, put him on the bench and left him on it, then sends him home before the next game. 

It certainly provides food for thought. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

6 hours ago, sne said:

Denmark players might do something, or possibly Germany or Australia perhaps?

Most likely thou they've been advised by their FA's to not do it. When it comes down to it they know who are paying them and who runs football. It's Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

That would require Australia to score a goal 😂

• Haha 3

Â