2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

I really want to attend a World Cup, but this is one I would definitely avoid even if given tickets for free. I don't want to worry about my safety while watching football. I imagine there will be mass protests and I wouldn't exactly feel safe in the stadiums.

Add to that the fact that Rio muggers are salivating at the prospect of 4 weeks of drunk tourists. And price gouging at restaurants and bars, and dodgy transport (I predict a general rail/bus strike right before the opening match).

Edited by maqroll

Who is the player who is taking his place, I guess he more then the others has a lot to prove.

Well there's were I have an issue. Brad Davis, who plays as a wide midfielder on the left, not totally dissimilar to Donovan's role, is going. He's a decent player, good set piece deliver, but he's just not good enough in open play to play in a World Cup. He's too slow and will get torched. He's also not young. So I have no clue why klinnsmann would pick him and not Donovan.

This is definitely one of those world cups where you are better off staying at home and watching on TV, with 3 stadiums and 12 airports not ready, size of the country etc etc. 

Same for Russia in 4 years time, and South Africa 4 years ago, and Qatar. In fact most world cups past, present and future you are better off just watching at home, European world cups and Japorea are the exceptions 

And USA...although the size of the country was probably a pain in the arse for traveling supporters. But the stadia/infrastructure was fine...

One of my company's video journalists was robbed at gun point yesterday in Sao Paulo.

Any Vters planning a trip - Dressing down and no conspicuous signs of wealth is the way to go.

I really want to attend a World Cup, but this is one I would definitely avoid even if given tickets for free. I don't want to worry about my safety while watching football. I imagine there will be mass protests and I wouldn't exactly feel safe in the stadiums.

Add to that the fact that Rio muggers are salivating at the prospect of 4 weeks of drunk tourists. And price gouging at restaurants and bars, and dodgy transport (I predict a general rail/bus strike right before the opening match).

Thankfully England are not playing in Rio. I was robbed there in February and have no desire to go back but I am heading to Manaus on Tuesday expecting it to be a bit safer.  

Who is the player who is taking his place, I guess he more then the others has a lot to prove.

Julian Green has played 20 or so games in the German third division, that's his whole career. Apparently he's more valuable than Donovan. :crylaugh:

Edited by kurtsimonw

Thankfully England are not playing in Rio. I was robbed there in February and have no desire to go back but I am heading to Manaus on Tuesday expecting it to be a bit safer.  

Do elaborate, I'm trying to compile all the information I can to stay safe.

That said Rio is meant to be one of the better cities, I read a saying something like in Rio they'll rob you and give you your taxi fare home whereas in Sao Paulo they'll shoot you and then rob you.

Salvador sounds the nastiest from what I've read.

Wasn't there a lot of people worried about Neo-Nazi violence in Germany and fans getting robbed an raped in South Africa?

Yep, we were all going to die in Ukraine as well.  I can vouch that Ukraine (was) a lovely place.

Difference is the crime in Rio is always there and not football related.