2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Russia looked really terrible against Norway, not good for them. They play like that and they get 0 points.

Also wanna throw in the fact that Diskerud is playing for USA is pretty funny. He is terrible.

Was the Dutch guy people are raving about at Celtic never in contention for a call up?

I actually think Holland could struggle to qualify for the next world cup...If you think about it Snejider, RVP, Van Der Vaart, Kuyt, Huntaleer, De Jong, Robben, Vlaar could all be retiring after euro 2016, most of them will be in the 32-34 age range then.

So Holland need some exceptional young players to come through otherwise they could be in for a spell in the wilderness as that is a ridiculous amount of quality to lose in one go. Leroy Fer is nowhere near on the same level as these guys.

Think Krul should be number one aswell.

Russia looked really terrible against Norway, not good for them. They play like that and they get 0 points.

Also wanna throw in the fact that Diskerud is playing for USA is pretty funny. He is terrible.

Russia are playing Algeria and South Korea, no matter how bad they play, they'll be getting some points. Weakest group in the tournament by far. Even worse then the Switzerland group.

Probably Cillessen, he seems to be first choice at the moment, even with only 6 caps.

I've never heard of him :blush:. Doesn't mean he's not a good goalie though.

He's only 25, pretty young for a goalkeeper, has played most games for Ajax this season but not all. He's decent and has made some great saves over the season, 14 clean sheets and apparently has a goals conceded ratio of around 1 every 2 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4arv5naNoY

Anyone knows why Miranda and the Atletico right back weren't called up to the Brazil squad? That pisses me off for some reason. What more can players do than be part of the best defence in La Liga and Europe?

Probably Cillessen, he seems to be first choice at the moment, even with only 6 caps.

I've never heard of him :blush:. Doesn't mean he's not a good goalie though.

He's only 25, pretty young for a goalkeeper, has played most games for Ajax this season but not all. He's decent and has made some great saves over the season, 14 clean sheets and apparently has a goals conceded ratio of around 1 every 2 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4arv5naNoY

Probably doesn't get tested as much tbh, considering Ajax have about 70% possession per game...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Anyone knows why Miranda and the Atletico right back weren't called up to the Brazil squad? That pisses me off for some reason. What more can players do than be part of the best defence in La Liga and Europe?

Miranda was getting called up around 2008-10 but hasn't been a regular for a while plus Big Phil pretty much runs a closed shop with the squad, it's pretty much the same as the confed cup squad.

Russia are playing Algeria and South Korea, no matter how bad they play, they'll be getting some points. Weakest group in the tournament by far. Even worse then the Switzerland group.

Switzerlands group really isn't that weak.

Beat Ghana 1-0. Didn't really answer any questions, the defence was decent for a couple of chances but other than that they weren't really tested. Holland missed a few chances at goal.

Once nice moment was seeing Sneijder, Robben and Van Perise, the old men of the team, combining for the goal and celebrating together. Last few of their generation.

I have heard of two of those defenders...weak at the back or is it just my ignorance?

Weak defence, I don't really expect they'll make it out of the groups.

Slightly OT - but includes Pele and Brazil (tenuous link!) from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-27652832

Pele son Edinho sentenced to 33 years in Brazil for money laundering

The son of the Brazilian football legend Pele has been sentenced to 33 years in jail for laundering money raised from drug trafficking.

Edinho is a retired footballer who played goalkeeper for Pele's old club, Santos, in the 1990s.

He was first arrested in 2005 and has served a sentence for drug trafficking offences and links with a notorious drug dealer in the city of Santos.

He says he is a drug addict but denies the trafficking charges.

The ruling was issued by a judge in the nearby coastal city of Praia Grande, in Sao Paulo state.

Brazilian media have not been able to contact Edinho, whose real name is Edson Cholbi do Nascimento, but they say he is expected to appeal.

Edinho, 43, works as a goalkeeping coach at Santos.

Pele, or Edson Arantes do Nascimento, played all his professional career in Brazil for Santos.

Playing for Brazil, he won the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and was acclaimed as the greatest footballer of his generation.

He retired in 1974, but made a comeback a year later for New York Cosmos.

Edinho is Pele's third son from his first marriage. He was five when the family moved to New York to play for Cosmos.

When he returned to Brazil he decided to pursue a career in professional football - as a goalkeeper, much to his father's surprise.

He was Santos' goalkeeper in 1995 when the team reached the Brazilian league final, losing the title to Botafogo.

His detention and alleged involvement with drug gangs took most people in Brazil by surprise.

Pele, now 73, went to visit his son several times in jail.

"God willing, justice will be done. There is not a shred of evidence against my son," he said in 2006.

Edinho said that his father was his idol.

Four other people have also been convicted for many laundering, including a man accused of controlling much of the drug trafficking in the region - Ronaldo Duarte Barsotti, known as Naldinho.

I guess sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. Same was true for the Arsenal defence of the 90's. 

Filipe Luis is left back not right back - Juanfran is on the right. Maxwell, Dante and Marcelo are already in the Brazil squad so they have the position covered well enough. He can consider himself unlucky though! 

Beat Ghana 1-0. Didn't really answer any questions, the defence was decent for a couple of chances but other than that they weren't really tested. Holland missed a few chances at goal.

Once nice moment was seeing Sneijder, Robben and Van Perise, the old men of the team, combining for the goal and celebrating together. Last few of their generation.

• Like 1

Because Scolari didn't pick on form.

• Like 1