2014 FIFA World Cup

BOF

Yeah anyone who has advise for staying safe let us that are going know!

I'm really excited about it except for the part of me that is incredibly nervous about being caught up in something.  If anyone tries to mug me, they can have the shirt off my back as far as I care as long as they don't kill me!!

My missus and two female friends went travelling around South America last year (including a month in Brazil, didn't go to São Paulo though) and were fine. I think if you're sensible (ie. don't go waving expensive things or lots of cash around) you'll be fine.

I think it's blown out of proportion.  Look at this in New York for example, if this was reported in Rio we'd all poo our pants....

http://7online.com/794

3 STABBED, 8 SHOT IN VIOLENT NIGHT IN NEW YORK CITY

They'd have stabbed and killed more in Rio though. Just to beat the Americans.

I think it's blown out of proportion.  Look at this in New York for example, if this was reported in Rio we'd all poo our pants....

http://7online.com/794

3 STABBED, 8 SHOT IN VIOLENT NIGHT IN NEW YORK CITY

They'd have stabbed and killed more in Rio though. Just to beat the Americans.

Another crime they'd likely commit.

One of my company's video journalists was robbed at gun point yesterday in Sao Paulo.

Any Vters planning a trip - Dressing down and no conspicuous signs of wealth is the way to go.

Sorry to hear about that. They've said for years to 'dress down' in Brazil... no watch, no fancy phone etc. My mate spent 2 weeks in Rio like this and was fine

Argentina never produce goal keeper of good quality. The last one was probably Goycochea, and even he ended up a flop.

You're right, they haven't produced a good keeper for a long time. who could forget the hilarious German Burgos.

he did threaten to rip MOurinho head off which was funny :D

Burgos tells Mou: "I'm not Tito. I'll rip your head off"
  • According to EL MUNDO.es, Burgos, otherwise known as 'El Mono' which means 'the monkey', went as far as to approach the home dugout and say to Mourinho: "I'm not Tito! I'll rip your head off!".
1354553078_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg
12/03/2012
  • Print
  • Send
    Close

Send this news item by email to:

Your friend's emailYour nameYour emailComment

Send to multiple recipients separating emails with a comma

Germán 'El Mono' Burgos, Atlético de Madrid's assistant manager, and Jose Mourinho, Real Madrid's first-team manager, had a little 'set-to' whilst their respective sides met at the Santiago Bernabéu. The 'Atleti' assistant manager went to confront the Madrid manager and the Portuguese felt the need to make some gestures towards the Argentine.

According to EL MUNDO.es, Burgos, otherwise known as 'El Mono' which means 'the monkey', went as far as to approach the home dugout and say to Mourinho: "I'm not Tito! I'll rip your head off!" in a clear reference to FC Barcelona's manager Tito Vilanova.

José Mourinho was complaining that there were two people in the Atlético de Madrid technical area, and that was when 'El Mono' decided to approach the opposing bench. Real's coach was asked about the episode this Monday and he said: "El Mono Burgos? Who's that?"

"Despite our rivalry I don't have problems with anyone at Atlético", he said, "Mr. Marín, Simeone… I even spent some time with Simeone in the tunnel before the game", he continued. In fact, three minutes into the game Mou asked the Madrid fans to stop insulting his fellow manager.

Later on, when 'El Mono' was asked about the incident, his answer was just a wry smile, which took a bit of bite out of the subject. The defeat at the Bernabéu, the twist of the dagger at the least opportune moment, proved more painful than any tension with the opposing side's manager

• Like 1

Just watched recorded USA vs. Azerbaijan. Oh my, Germany, protugal and Ghana have got to be licking their lips. USA looked woeful. Besler cannot be allowed on the pitch. He gave away far too many careless balls. A decent attacking team would have had 3 goals off balls directly from him.

Diskerud looked promising off the bench, Zusi had a good match. Other than that, USA showed nothing to impress.

Van Der Vaart is out of the World Cup with a calf injury.

My hopes are downgraded again... I think the second round would be an achievement at this rate.

I thought you struggle in the group anyway. Chile are a very talented side and obviously used to the conditions more.

Just watched recorded USA vs. Azerbaijan. Oh my, Germany, protugal and Ghana have got to be licking their lips. USA looked woeful. Besler cannot be allowed on the pitch. He gave away far too many careless balls. A decent attacking team would have had 3 goals off balls directly from him.

Diskerud looked promising off the bench, Zusi had a good match. Other than that, USA showed nothing to impress.

Sorry to quote myself, but I just looked at a ussoccer discussion forum and discovered that somebody quoted my post above, added that I though Fabian Johnson did well, and told the forum he was quoting a Brit! Clearly, he didn't read my name, or check my profile. But then it launched a debate whether I know more than them because I'm a Brit !!!! LMAO.

So, whoever you are, if you want to quote me, feel free to call me a Brit, I'd be honored. But at least quote me accurately. Btw, Fabian looked good in tight space 2 times, but not enough to really impress me. His positioning took too many risks overall.

Van Der Vaart is out of the World Cup with a calf injury.

My hopes are downgraded again... I think the second round would be an achievement at this rate.

I thought you struggle in the group anyway. Chile are a very talented side and obviously used to the conditions more.

I think Chile could actually win that group. They have enough pace and power to trouble Spain and could easily crack Hollands defence.

I was reading Van Der Vaart was Holland best player in qualifying, they will have to rely on semi-retired Wesley Sneijder to play football again

Dutch squad announced

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Michel Vorm (Swansea City)

Defenders: Daley Blind (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Paul Verhaegh (Augsburg), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Joel Veltman (Ajax)

Midfielders: Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord Rotterdam), Jonathan de Guzman (Swansea City), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Leroy Fer (Norwich City), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Memphis Depay (PSV Eindhoven), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke), Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbahce), Jeremain Lens (Dynamo Kiev), Robin van Persie (Manchester United)