The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

A shoestring?! Did you see how much money we spent this summer? Lambert had sod all in comparison. 

It was a lot of money, but still only a shoestring because you can't buy a whole team for tuppence. Debatable whether we had to buy a whole team I suppose, but I rather think we did and as has been said a few times now, money is not our main problem at this particular moment in time - the manager is.

A shoestring?! Did you see how much money we spent this summer? Lambert had sod all in comparison. 

YEAH BUT NET SPEND!!!!11!!!1!!1!!!!1111

Net spend is a fair point. However I don't think he has spent that money very well, IMO he has large wasted the proceeds of the Benteke and Delph sales.

YEAH BUT NET SPEND!!!!11!!!1!!1!!!!1111

Net spend is a fair point. However I don't think he has spent that money very well, IMO he has large wasted the proceeds of the Benteke and Delph sales.

Net Spend is useful in certain scenarios.

But it can be so easily manipulated. Sherwood has spent 50 odd million this summer. Just because that nets off at not very much doesn't excuse him.

If we sold Grealish for 100 million in January and Sherwood reinvested every penny of that, and we were still shite, then it wouldn't excuse him because our net spend was zero.

• Like 2

I firmly believe it's not the signings that are the problem, in fact I'd say it was a superb summer.

Sherwood is the problem, he's useless, and since he has admitted that they aren't his signings then it's clear that he has absolutely no redeeming qualities. 

I've got to assume that Fox is contacting potential replacements behind the scenes? 

We're not going to get anything against Chelski, so it will be interesting to see what happens if we somehow manage a win against Swansea.

Would that still save Sherwood or are wheels already in motion?

Rodgers probably just wants to finish his holiday before getting started

The net spend issue is a complete red herring.

Its only the moneymen - Lerner and Fox who should be concerned about the totals folowing sales (net).

As far as Sherwood is concerned he has spent circa £50m - or whatever the number is.

• Like 1

We may have spent £50m but we lost £50m of talent too. Obviously it varies with each situation but I think net spend is relevant here.

We lost two key players. 

Net spend is massively skewed when you get huge fees for one or two players. £32.5 million for one player means our low net spend this summer is very misleading.

Net Spend is only a red herring if you sell a player for over the odds like Bale. IMO Benteke was worth £32.5m to our team as he was so important to us. I actually think we have spent fairly well and have a good squad for the medium to long term. The issue is we lack a proven striker to bring it all together and now we have a manager who has run out of ideas and confidence to pick the right team.

• Like 2

What scares me is, if Tim is so "confused" in what to do then just goes to the squad and says, "ok, you, you & you, go for it. And we win the next 2 games giving him a stay of execution.

how long before he returns to type with strange formations, selections & substitutes?

we'll drop down the table, he'll have his moments again , rinse and repeat, one day it'll be too late. Relegation.

The net spend isn't relevant as such but i think it's crazy to say he "had 50m to spend" as though had it to spend to improve the team we ended last season with as that wasn't quite the case was it!

From the struggling team he inherited he lost Benteke, Delph, Cleverley, Vlaar and Given. Those were the best players at this club!!  On top of that he had to try to actually improve on the team from last season and had correctly identified that others were not good enough so those also had to go or be omitted, players such as Nzogbia, Baker, Senderos, Bent, Weimann, Kozack etc etc 

Lets not forget that but for Sherwoods arrival and the bounce it created we would surely have now been a Championship side.. We survived by the skin of our teeth.

50m was nowhere near enough for such major surgery as we are now finding out. We needed to spend that just to replace Benteke, Vlaar, Cleverley & Delph! As it is i think we have just about replaced:

Delph (Gana)

Vlaar (Richards)

Weimann (Ayew)

Given ??????

Benteke ???????????????????

Bent ?????

Kozack (Gestede)

Cleverley ?????

Nzogbia (Traore)

So for me with the 50m those departures generated, we have not even adequately replaced Benteke, Given, Cleverley or Senderos or even Bent for that matter who had goals in him!

The lack of actual investment by the wantaway owner is crippling the club and will likely see us relegated and deservedly so...keep playing with fire & all that!

• Like 1

I don't think it was personally Stevo but each to their own! For me we needed another 20 to 30m spent to replace Benteke, Bent and Given, then with all the extra's like Veretout, Crespo & the likes of Grealish maturing it should have been enough to see us climb the table... that 20 to 30m is what the owner should have added to the pot from the overall turnover or wads of TV cash... didn't even need to dip into his own pocket.

Nzogbia is still here yes Rubberman but surely Traore was his replacement though sadly got injured against Notts County and also has no Prem experience which Nzog has in abundance (Not that it shows). I can't wait to see Traore he's a modern day Tony Morley from what i saw against Notts County but fact is he's not playing at the mo!

Still the fact remains we have not replaced all of those key players from last season despite spending the 50m they generated and the glaring omission in all that is we have not replaced the main one of all...Benteke! I know there was a plan to bring in Adebayor but it didn't come off and was frankly never likely to as the guy appears to want to stay in Landon. 

Edited by danceoftheshamen
spelling error

I don't think it was personally Stevo but each to their own! For me we needed another 20 to 30m spent to replace Benteke, Bent and Given, then with all the extra's like Veretout, Crespo & the likes of Grealish maturing it should have been enough to see us climb the table... that 20 to 30m is what the owner should have added to the pot from the overall turnover or wads of TV cash... didn't even need to dip into his own pocket.

Nzogbia is still here yes Rubberman but surely Traore was his replacement though sadly got injured against Notts County and also has no Prem experience which Nzog has in abundance (Not that it shows). I can't wait to see Traore he's a modern day Tony Morley from what i saw against Notts County but fact is he's not playing at the mo!

Still the fact remains we have not replaced all of those key players from last season despite spending the 50m they generated and the glaring omission in all that is we have not replaced the main one of all...Benteke! I know there was a plan to bring in Adebayor but it didn't come off and was frankly never likely to as the guys appears to want to stay in Landon. 

So you think a team that stayed up last season, needed to spend £80m just to stay up this season?

Even losing the players we did, that's honestly completely absurd. That would have made us the 5th biggest spenders in the whole of Europe.

Â