Callum Robinson

sir_gary_cahill

Great business for both clubs.

I've always thought our decent to good youngsters should go on a month or three month loans to league 1 or championship clubs, they get first team football which is good, but I also think that it's good for them to see how the other half live.

When they're so young amd have been at Villa for a few years, you can see them get comfy, which isn't good.

Hopefully he'll see the standard of the lower league teams and really push on mentally for wanting to stay in the sacred bubble that is the premier league.

Its something we should be looking at doing for all the youngsters.

• Like 2

I can't say I have huge hopes for him, unfortunately. He's looked enthusiastic when I've seen him for the U21s or First Team, but I've not seen that finishing ability that I've seen in other youngsters. I hope he proves me wrong!

He is a very good finisher, what makes you think that he isn't?

I can't say I have huge hopes for him, unfortunately. He's looked enthusiastic when I've seen him for the U21s or First Team, but I've not seen that finishing ability that I've seen in other youngsters. I hope he proves me wrong!

He is a very good finisher, what makes you think that he isn't?

It's not just his finishing, I think it's his all-round ability that I've not been bowled over by. When I watched Weimann and Delfouneso at the U21s, I was genuinely impressed. Now, for one reason or another, Delfouneso never made it (some say no desire, others say he was crap all along) but Robinson has never struck me as a player who is going to make it. At the U21 game against Arsenal last week, I have to say that hardly any of the players on show for Villa looked that promising. Drennan possibly, as his movement was pretty good. But none of his team-mates picked him out whenever he made runs.

Maybe Robinson will be able to work to his strengths, much like Gabby has, and still make an impact for us.

I'd agree with SGC that Robinson is a good finisher but also with Rob in that I'm not sure he has the major weapon to make him a premier league striker.

His biggest asset is his work rate and pestering of defenders. He is a born again Paul Dickov really so if he does make it and that's a big if then he will have carved his career out of stone through sheer hard work.

However most premier league strikers have a bit more to their game than that these days, however his body/game is still developing so who knows.

Sent him a tweet a few minutes back telling him to stay at PNE for the whole season if he can. They are a good club with some decent youngsters and some veterans who have seen all the lower leagues have to offer. My Dad is a massive PNE fan so it'll be easy to follow his progress personally. They've got Garner and Davies there up front, but I think he offers something different to the other strikers so he should get a bit of game time, but unless he plays brilliant he's unlikely to get into and stay in the 1st team.

Thanks skarroki, can you keep us up to date on his progress please? I know it's unlikely that he'll even get into their first team though

They must think that he will get some game time, otherwise why loan him?

Edited by NeilS

Thanks skarroki, can you keep us up to date on his progress please? I know it's unlikely that he'll even get into their first team though

They must think that he will get some game time, otherwise why loan him?

Well it's a youth loan so maybe it was more for him to experience a different pro club setup. Garner is on form at the moment so it will be hard for Robinson to get in the side, and Grayson isn't known for changing a winning side either and they're going quite well at the moment, especially if they win the game in hand

I suppose so. Probably good to get him out from his comfortable surroundings with everyone he knows and challenge him in new situations to help him grow confidence.

Hopefully he will get a few chances off the bench at the least though, as playing time in competitive matches is what he needs most at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

From reading the Preston forum, it seems our Cal has made a good impression. Their supporters are comparing his performances to those of Beckham's (who was on-loan at Preston in the 90s). Class above apparently.  :)

• Like 3

From reading the Preston forum, it seems our Cal has made a good impression. Their supporters are comparing his performances to those of Beckham's (who was on-loan at Preston in the 90s). Class above apparently.  :)

Quite surprised - didn't think he'd played much for them so far?

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update, as I was saying before family all Preston fans so easy to keep tabs.

Tonight is his 3rd start in a row for them since the loan was extended to January. He's playing well and has scored a good goal to put Preston ahead tonight in league 1 vs Leyton Orient. His issue, as I said previously, I thought would be the form of Joe Garner who is a good player who knows the level and is banging them in this season. However they seem to be playing well up front together which is only a good thing for us, as it means he's learning to play with a good goalscoring striker rather than a Kevin Davies "hoof and head" football

They have 2 games in hand, this one being the first, because of internationals so there will be a lot of games between now and January, so I would expect him to be the guy to be relied on when the other strikers need a rest over the coming weeks. Lots of midweek games and they are about to play 4 away games in a row

I'm sure a lot of people, with everything that's going on, would say that he could do a better job here than what we have due to our situation. This may be true, but i personally think the best thing this lad can do at the moment is stay as far away from our club as possible. Preston are a good club and on the up. Good coaching staff and don't exactly play the best football but play effective and fast football and know how to keep possession and hold onto leads. Very professional outfit and a good place to be

Edited by skarroki
  • Like 2

Thanks skarroki, nice report

Just edited it to get some facts straight, didn't know he'd started the other games so just asked family how they thought he was getting on. General report is he's playing well with Garner, and Garner is THE MAN at that club right now, so if you're complimenting him as a striker and playing alright yourself, you will be staying in the side, so he's doing everything right at the moment

• Like 1

Â