What is that 1 song you love by that 1 artist you hate?

BOF

It's nearly always the Greatest Hit for me. I thought Smells Like Teen Spirit was OK, bought the album, didn't rate anything else on it. Same thing happened with the first Pearl Jam album, and 'Jeremy'. 

25 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Iggy Pop, The Passenger 

Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime 

And a very obscure one from way back - NRBQ, You Can't Hide 

Don’t know the third one, but cripes! at the first 2. Did nothing by the Stooges take your fancy? And Talking Heads, I just can’t get my head around anyone thinking they’re s***. I’ve got everything they’ve ever done and there’s one iffy album (True Stories) which was a soundtrack anyway and the rest are all bloomin’ excellent. I’m genuinely staggered.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

Don’t know the third one, but cripes! at the first 2. Did nothing by the Stooges take your fancy? And Talking Heads, I just can’t get my head around anyone thinking they’re s***. I’ve got everything they’ve ever done and there’s one iffy album (True Stories) which was a soundtrack anyway and the rest are all bloomin’ excellent. I’m genuinely staggered.

Same as Blandy. Talking Heads isn't the artist I thought I would be standing up for on this thread but as careers go they have so many standouts. 

• Like 1

Gonna do three bands that wore corpse paint, cos every band that ever wore corpse paint absolutely sucks 

Three great songs by three bands that absolutely suck. Oddly, they also each have an obscene, fanatical, following. Despite the fact that they absolutely suck. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Both "Toxic"and  "Can't get you out of my head" were written by Cathy Dennis - she wrote all the pop songs.

Does that mean both songs don't qualify for the thread?

She also wrote/co-wrote "I Kissed a Girl"  by Katy Perry

she`s gotta be worth a few bob for the royalties off those massive hits alone. 

I won`t mention all the S Club 7 stuff she wrote 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Everything by the Foo Fighters up to and including One By One was made by the same mediocre dad rock band that made everything by the Foo Fighters after One By One. That is almost a valid entry in itself, I feel. 

Early Foos = Very decent rock and roll. 
Later Foos = Dull, dull, dull. 

But I digress. 

18 minutes ago, blandy said:

To be fair, I don't think they're 'shit' as such, but they don't really do much for me. 

I had three albums by the Stooges, and I recently gave them a play as a refresher. Conclusion? Meh. They've gone into the 'get rid' pile. 

Talking Heads mostly get on my nerves. Not keen on Byrne's hiccupy voice, and I really dislike those jerky syncopated rhythms. But I do like 'Lifetime' for some inexplicable reason. 

I've tried to explain enough times, I just found myself out of sync with the way popular music went after about 1975. I was steeped in folk/blues/country/Laurel Canyon/prog styles, and they all went massively out of fashion, in favour of punk/funk/reggae/motorik, none of which I could really relate to. 

So, my definition of 'shit', for the purposes of this thread, is 'I (mostly) don't like it'. 

As @JoshVilla says upthread, bound to ruffle some feathers. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ender4 said:

R Kelly. Enough said. Listening to the song probably gives him royalties, though he's not going to be spending it in jail!

I know it's not the done thing but love R Kelly's contribution on this. 

Â