What is that 1 song you love by that 1 artist you hate?

BOF

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/10/2022 at 21:37, OutByEaster? said:

Robert Smith is the greatest writer of pop songs this country has ever produced.

There. I said it.

Paul Weller on The Cure, in this month's Record Collector magazine: 

"I can’t **** stand them. **** fat word removed, with his lipstick and all that bollocks.  He’s a **** knob end. I don’t like him. There you go. There’s someone I would work with. I’d **** slap him". 

I have a newfound respect for Weller. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 21/10/2022 at 21:37, OutByEaster? said:

Robert Smith is the greatest writer of pop songs this country has ever produced.

There. I said it.

whilst I like the Cure / Robert Smith , there is a case to be made that its actually Paul Heaton 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

"I can’t **** stand them. **** fat word removed, with his lipstick and all that bollocks.  He’s a **** knob end. I don’t like him. There you go. There’s someone I would work with. I’d **** slap him". 

Ah Paul the Plagiarist, he should let us all know when he has another original idea, the last one he had was in 1982

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Pete Shelly pisses all over both of them if we're talking Pop Songs

meh , he's not a patch on Peter McNeish ....

problem will be how you define it , as we know record sales doesn't equate to good   , see Kanye West  ... I know more of Heaton's works than I do Shelly , so it would be hard for me to make an objective comparison of the two 

I should imagine, ultimately any poll would only come up with Lennon / McCartney anyway 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Conversely, as someone that generally likes his music.  I now think he's a clearing in the woods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

meh , he's not a patch on Peter McNeish ....

problem will be how you define it , as we know record sales doesn't equate to good   , see Kanye West  ... I know more of Heaton's works than I do Shelly , so it would be hard for me to make an objective comparison of the two 

I should imagine, ultimately any poll would only come up with Lennon / McCartney anyway 

Pete Waterman?

👹

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

While i don't hate U2 they leave me a bit cold. 

U2 prior to the Joshua tree were pretty decent, then Bono grew a ponytail which is only one step above being a vegan in the things I can't and won't forgive list 

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

U2 prior to the Joshua tree were pretty decent, then Bono grew a ponytail which is only one step above being a vegan in the things I can't and won't forgive list

I thought the Joshua Tree was quite good. After that they did indeed go to complete and utter dogsh*t. Their early stuff is mixed, I think. The odd good song, but quite a bit I dislike, too.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Conversely, as someone that generally likes his music.  I now think he's a clearing in the woods.

He's always been an utter utter word removed.

Him calling out Smith is like Dahmer complaining that Bundy is a bit 'murdery'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

I thought the Joshua Tree was quite good. After that they did indeed go to complete and utter dogsh*t. Their early stuff is mixed, I think. The odd good song, but quite a bit I dislike, too.

at the time i loved the JT , but I think it became a victim of being overplayed perhaps ... the "hits" now tend to be the ones that I skip whereas Bullet the blue sky , mothers of the disappeared stand up as the really strong tracks on it 

I saw them play the whole album live at Twickenham a couple of years back  , brought back some great memories that even Bono preaching, and lecturing couldn't spoil 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

He's always been an utter utter word removed.

Him calling out Smith is like Dahmer complaining that Bundy is a bit 'murdery'.

My enemy's enemy is my friend. 

Â