Rugby: General Chat

MessiWillSignForVilla

18 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

rb6edbf0ese71.jpg

Knicked from reddit. After everything that got poured over after the game, I didn't even realise there was an incident with Sinckler!

Yep it was a shock too me. The pictures of Hogg biting looked likely to be cited and then the Kolbe stuff at least. 
Not seen any footage of Sinks incident nor his response

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yep it was a shock too me. The pictures of Hogg biting looked likely to be cited and then the Kolbe stuff at least. 
Not seen any footage of Sinks incident nor his response

This is it, but you can't really see much. Obviously you'd never condone biting, but looks like the type of thing my Dad would go on about happening in the bottom of rucks 40 years ago. Though most of those "dark arts" have been stamped out now.

Apparently some people heard/saw Mostert going up to the ref after this to show the marks with the ref replying that he saw them and it would be reviewed after the game.

• Thanks 1

tell you what, we all know having  the refs in the commentary box in footy is totally pointless because they always side with the on field decision

for rugby, having nigel owens opine on decisions during the game is such a wonderful addition. adds genuine insight and calls out bad decisions when they occur

Well, if we'd have made better decisions in the first half the game would have been beyond SA.

Lots of individual mistakes today, but I guess that comes with the pressure of the occasion. Enthralling game of rugby.

Not sure I agreed with some the ref decisions today either.

12 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Quite a few individual mistakes, but the reffing really has been suspect since Erasmus’ rant. Pretty much every decision went in favour of South Africa today.

In the 2nd half the way their props were binding just wasn't being watched. And yet we kept getting penalised. Also their tacklers or 1st to the ruck kept going prone to either kill our quick ball or slow it to a crawl. He also seemed to give them longer to recycle.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Billy V, Fordy and Jamie George all not picked for England. It’s a big shout as Ford and Billy are only 28. Although it may be that now we see more Smith and Simmonds/Dombrant which would be good. Surprisingly though Ben Youngs still in there, shows Jones has no trust in the 9 position for the younger guys. 
Some real electric pace outside called up. Seems atm their is a lot of former internationals sons, coming through. Sleighthome, Lyangh get the call up this time, but there is also De Granville coming through and I’m sure others. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Billy V, Fordy and Jamie George all not picked for England. It’s a big shout as Ford and Billy are only 28. Although it may be that now we see more Smith and Simmonds/Dombrant which would be good. Surprisingly though Ben Youngs still in there, shows Jones has no trust in the 9 position for the younger guys. 
Some real electric pace outside called up. Seems atm their is a lot of former internationals sons, coming through. Sleighthome, Lyangh get the call up this time, but there is also De Granville coming through and I’m sure others. 

Ford's not finished by a long way. His performance against Exeter on the weekend was the best he's played in a good long while. Saying that it's good to see Marcus Smith in the squad on merit, truly exceptional at the end of last season.

There's still quite a few in the squad though that I don't think should be in there based on their international form. Some have gone backwards massively, but maybe Eddie should shoulder some of that blame.

Regarding scrum half, Harry Randall is looking in the hot seat to replace Youngs long term. Having them both in the squad is a good plan.

All this being said, I'd be very surprised if all of the omitted names aren't back in for the Autumn internationals, unless of injury. Eddie is leaving after WC23 so I think he'll stick with what he knows.

• Like 3

I see Dan Robson has been picked, if I was him I wouldn't bother TBH, Jones just dicks him around. I'd rather he played for Wasps than carry tackle bags around.

EJ isn't exactly popular with Wasps fans anyway, especially after picking Odugwu and then not playing him meaning he missed 11 weeks of the Premiership season. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So no Robson this time, so we’ll be having Youngs again no doubt. He’s called up 2 youngsters but can’t see them getting game time. 

Nice to see Marler back but surprised by some of the omissions especially George who has been in good form recently. 
Still need to build a centre partnership, for as good as Manu is, he’s had a lot of injuries and it’s a risk resting our entire game plan on him.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The idea of Smith, Farrell, Slade is quite exciting  as a midfield. But Manu on the wing is very strange. I can only think that Smith is worried about the longevity of Manu, so wants to build a midfield this game plan without relying on him, but still wants to utilise him whilst he’s fit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Tremendous game of rugby in Ireland! Well deserved win over New Zealand.

As half Irish Kiwi I always go for Ireland vs ABs outside of WC so happy with that result. Lots of banter being had online with mates

• Like 1

What a game that was! Great performance by England and what a way to snatch it.

Perhaps it's some good evidence that maybe it's time to move past Farrell? Smith is unreal and we looked really good with him pulling the strings, whereas I feel shifiting things around just to accommodate Farrell can stifle some of our backs.

Also, what a player Steward is, love watching him for Tigers and he's been awesome for England, looks like he's nailed down that 15 shirt for a good few years now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

What a game that was! Great performance by England and what a way to snatch it.

Perhaps it's some good evidence that maybe it's time to move past Farrell? Smith is unreal and we looked really good with him pulling the strings, whereas I feel shifiting things around just to accommodate Farrell can stifle some of our backs.

Also, what a player Steward is, love watching him for Tigers and he's been awesome for England, looks like he's nailed down that 15 shirt for a good few years now.

Have to agree with all of that! 

thought England played very well and on the whole were the better team. 

Finally Jones is utilising the backs and allowing them a little freedom and expression. 

we look so much better for it.

Next year’s six nations will be the most closely contested in a number of years with France, Ireland and England looking very good at the moment and a rejuvenated and defensively sound Scotland added to the mix.

I cannot see Wales or Italy vying for the top of the table but you can never discount the luck of Welsh rugby…

• 2 months later...
Â