Manchester United

BOF

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Will end up with a worse record than Moyes. 

In retrospect Moyes' record wasn't actually that bad from what i remember.

His biggest problem was that he had to follow Fergie, and whoever did that was always going to struggle for that reason.

Don't get me wrong, Moyes is shit. But it's only really the season when Mourinho finished 2nd with them that they've done significantly better than he did.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Didnt they finish 7th under Moyes? Club is pretty much a joke

You have to wonder how long before the sponsors and the gloryhunters can continue with them

Yeah fair enough. I remembered it as 6th

I think the point kind of still stands though. Moyes was bad, but he wasn't THAT bad compared to what has come after, especially when you consider he was the guy who had to directly follow Fergie.

This sounds like I'm trying really hard to defend Moyes :D 

• Like 1

moyes was the fall guy, inevitable dip after Fergie (I think even most utd fans know the team in fergies' last year was utter garbage)

still think OGS form before the contract left them in no mans land, he's not the long term answer but with that run of results you cant then give him the boot (although what they could have done was absolutely nothing until the summer and see how it all played out)

not sure the sponsors and glory hunters will walk away, ironically that's because of the likes of Pogba, I don't know how many games their huge south east asia following actually get to watch (based on the value of their various goal alert services im guessing not a lot) instead they just get told utd and paul Pogba are still superstars by a marketing team, they'll have a few more years left in them yet

They seem to have a pretty happy go lucky bunch of players but since Sir Alex they have gone for dour boring managers in Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho who are more intent on sucking they joy out of them than to inspire them.

Solskjaer brought the feel good factor back (not in terms of style of football mind) but he isn't really up to the task at hand.

Not sure who they should go for, but he needs to have discipline and tactical sense without killing their will to live.

Edited by sne

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

(although what they could have done was absolutely nothing until the summer and see how it all played out)

not sure the sponsors and glory hunters will walk away, ironically that's because of the likes of Pogba, I don't know how many games their huge south east asia following actually get to watch (based on the value of their various goal alert services im guessing not a lot) instead they just get told utd and paul Pogba are still superstars by a marketing team, they'll have a few more years left in them yet

Could, and indeed, should. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I don't know how many games their huge south east asia following actually get to watch (based on the value of their various goal alert services im guessing not a lot) 

Probably more than you'd think. I've never seen more Premier League football than I did living in Hanoi. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

moyes was the fall guy, inevitable dip after Fergie (I think even most utd fans know the team in fergies' last year was utter garbage)

still think OGS form before the contract left them in no mans land, he's not the long term answer but with that run of results you cant then give him the boot (although what they could have done was absolutely nothing until the summer and see how it all played out)

I used to live there - trust me, people watch there :)

It's the 21st century for christs sake.

• Like 2

I mean more with the kick off times and various TV packages etc rather than suggesting no one owns a TV! like I said they have ridiculous revenue streams from goal alert services especially in Vietnam which does suggest people cant watch the games live

was there millions tuned in at 2 - 3am to watch them put in a pretty poor performance vs city?

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I mean more with the kick off times and various TV packages etc rather than suggesting no one owns a TV! like I said they have ridiculous revenue streams from goal alert services especially in Vietnam which does suggest people cant watch the games live

was there millions tuned in at 2 - 3am to watch them put in a pretty poor performance vs city?

Can't speak for Vietnam but in Singapore yes absolutely hordes of people tune in at 2-3am to watch Utd play crappy teams let alone City. The English league is by far the most watched spectator sport there (speaks volumes about the pitiful state of local football there).

Not sure about goal alert services but it might have something to do with the betting markets I'd (ahem) wager.

Edited by legov
  • Like 1

When I was in Uganda pretty much 100% of all males wore football jerseys and 99% were PL clubs.

Out of them Plop and Man U were by far the most common and everywhere there was a TV on you could watch the PL-games.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

His biggest problem was that he had to follow Fergie, and whoever did that was always going to struggle for that reason.

Don't get me wrong, Moyes is shit. But it's only really the season when Mourinho finished 2nd with them that they've done significantly better than he did.

I don't disagree. I would argue LvG was a worse manager in their respective time at the club. 

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Indeed, plus Fergie has won the league with that team, which itself was an amazing achievement. 

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Moyes were terrible in the big games that was his main fault.

Players also hated his training methods and thought they were archaic and outdated.

rumours are that woodward has finally accepted the need for a footballing director to step in and take the reigns of the footballing side of things whilst he steps back and does the money

step forward rio ferdinand

:lol:

I really hope that's true

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/04/2019 at 14:48, villa4europe said:

was there millions tuned in at 2 - 3am to watch them put in a pretty poor performance vs city?

Honestly, it's on every channel. Every Saturday 3 o'clock kick off is shown across various channels. What you're picking up is general enthusiasm (some might say obsession) for the league, not any evidence about its lack of availability. The point is that the average Vietnamese fan is *so obsessed* that needs to know a goal has gone in the very second it happens, even if he happens to have popped outside for a moment. 

I used to have Vietnamese students asking me who my favourite pundit was, that's how obsessed they are. 

Â