Manchester United

BOF

37 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Interesting discussion on the Totally Football Show podcast about United's recent style of play, they have transformed into a completely counter attacking team.  They're happy to sit back and let teams have the ball and as many chances as they want, then use their pace up front to counter.  It's why Luton had the majority of possession and chances.  Seems to be working at the minute, but surely only a matter of time before teams' figure this out, and just sit back so they have no space to run into.  Also, can't imagine the United fans will be too happy with this approach long term, they've been used to in the past controlling games, not letting other teams do it. 

They're really bad.

It's so so poor we lost twice to them.

That sit back and counter is only sustainable if the sitting back restricts the other team's chances. Utd concede loads and loads and loads of high quality 'should score' chances.

Fairly confident INEOS will biff off Ten Hag. Hope he stays there.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Interesting discussion on the Totally Football Show podcast about United's recent style of play, they have transformed into a completely counter attacking team.  They're happy to sit back and let teams have the ball and as many chances as they want, then use their pace up front to counter.  It's why Luton had the majority of possession and chances.  Seems to be working at the minute, but surely only a matter of time before teams' figure this out, and just sit back so they have no space to run into.  Also, can't imagine the United fans will be too happy with this approach long term, they've been used to in the past controlling games, not letting other teams do it. 

It's what's brought them most success since Fergie left tbh, still think Grealish in his prime could have been the missing piece to make them serious contenders again. Que sera!

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They're really bad.

It's so so poor we lost twice to them.

That sit back and counter is only sustainable if the sitting back restricts to other team's chances. Utd concede loads and loads and loads of high quality 'should score' chances.

Fairly confident INEOS will biff off Ten Hag. Hope he stays there.

If he get's them CL he'll stay.  It's really weird they're playing this way, considering the signed TenHag who's Ajax team played possession football.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

ETH in fairness got rid of Sancho and Greenwood. He’s punished Rashford a few times but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Rashford has pretty much retired now he has his mega deal. I’d love them to put him up for sale, even if it meant paying him off they need to make an example of him if they are serious about getting back to the top.

What I don't understand is why he keeps getting picked. Send him down to the reserves for a while, he's a liability in the team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

ETH in fairness got rid of Sancho and Greenwood. He’s punished Rashford a few times but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Rashford has pretty much retired now he has his mega deal. I’d love them to put him up for sale, even if it meant paying him off they need to make an example of him if they are serious about getting back to the top.

Do you want them to succeed? 😕

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Make no mistake, if not for the campaign, Ten Hag would be playing Greenwood. He was a major advocate for his reintegration. Sod him. 

One year on loan abroad so they can take the flak, one year on loan in England so they can take the flak, then he'll be back at utd 

It's a calculated road back 

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

What I don't understand is why he keeps getting picked. Send him down to the reserves for a while, he's a liability in the team. 

He gets dropped for a game then goes straight back in to the squad. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I don’t think Greenwood will come back. I think it will remain too toxic.

100%, fans will be chanting that he’s a rapist everywhere he goes until he retires. This won’t blow over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Because he's the best forward they've got, by a distance, when he's on form. It's very true that he's not on form, and has been poor all season, but then again the other reason is you don't want to pay the guy £350k a week or whatever it is to chill with the 23s, especially when you've already pulled that card with one expensive young English talent. 

15 hours ago, Genie said:

He doesn't deserve any credit for Greenwood.

He got rid of Sancho with enthusiasm. He was fully on board with rehabilitating Greenwood and reintegrating him with the squad until there was too much pressure for it to be viable, because ETH isn't ok with players publicly undermining him, but he is ok with his players being rapists as long as they can escape conviction.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He doesn't deserve any credit for Greenwood.

He got rid of Sancho with enthusiasm. He was fully on board with rehabilitating Greenwood and reintegrating him with the squad until there was too much pressure for it to be viable, because ETH isn't ok with players publicly undermining him, but he is ok with his players being rapists as long as they can escape conviction.

It seems to be the general opinion that EtH wants/wanted Greenwood in the squad but where does it stem from? I find it hard to believe that he would want such a disruptive force in the dressing room everywhere he goes (especially the absolute state of the attitudes of those already in it).

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It seems to be the general opinion that EtH wants/wanted Greenwood in the squad but where does it stem from? I find it hard to believe that he would want such a disruptive force in the dressing room everywhere he goes (especially the absolute state of the attitudes of those already in it).

I remember it being reported prior to his loan to Getafe tbf. It seemed well sourced. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I remember it being reported prior to his loan to Getafe tbf. It seemed well sourced. 

It all seems to stem from the daily mail suggesting Ten Haag was in favour of him coming back but of course nothing backing that up.

It doesn’t really make any sense to me for the manager of all people at the club to want him back. It would be a constant nightmare on the pitch, in the dressing room and the training ground plus he’s the one who has to talk in front of the cameras.

I could understand someone higher up who doesn’t have to deal with the shit, but also doesn’t have to write off the salary being in favour of it though.

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

If he get's them CL he'll stay.  It's really weird they're playing this way, considering the signed TenHag who's Ajax team played possession football.

I think there's very little chance he gets CL. His only chance is if 5th place qualifies, and even then I think it's very unlikely

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

It all seems to stem from the daily mail suggesting Ten Haag was in favour of him coming back but of course nothing backing that up.

It doesn’t really make any sense to me for the manager of all people at the club to want him back. It would be a constant nightmare on the pitch, in the dressing room and the training ground plus he’s the one who has to talk in front of the cameras.

I could understand someone higher up who doesn’t have to deal with the shit, but also doesn’t have to write off the salary being in favour of it though.

What the manager wants is the best team available, out on the pitch. If he thought Greenwood would be in that team, he doesn't give a shit about any of the rest of it really. 

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think there's very little chance he gets CL. His only chance is if 5th place qualifies, and even then I think it's very unlikely

I think they've slowly and quietly got to put all their high level team together and take it from there, sounds like they are with the man city guy and now Ashworth as well as apparently interviewing some analysts and sports science guys from Southampton and Chelsea 

If Ashworth doesn't like what he hears from ETH then they move on, if they're on the same page then I think he stays

Ashworth seems patient at Newcastle to the point where he's almost annoyingly sensible, whether or not he is at utd is something different, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to pull his little black book out and get Zidane in there - but at the same time I've not seen anything there to suggest he's a transfer guru either, he didn't really have the time to build a squad at Newcastle, utd arguably need a new one of everything so it'll be interesting to see what he does 

Â