Manchester United

BOF

31 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

New owner didn’t dismiss bringing back Greenwood. The rot runs deep. Scum club. 

He cannot make the decision himself. I thought the quote was quite telling. 

"We need to look at facts, judge fairly and take into consideration what the values of the club are. Then we come out of that with a decision. It is not appropriate for me to comment on Mason Greenwood."

My interpretation of that is that he doesn’t think the club should be taking him back. 

link

I guess another part of it, if they have decided he isn’t going back they can’t really say it as they’ll have no hope of selling him for any decent money then.

They have to walk this line of not appearing to be welcoming him back but also not confirming he is finished with them.

IfI was a fan I'd like to know why he was so keen on getting Chelsea first, didn't, and then turned to Man U. Also the Glazers seem to make have some mafia type role where they're getting the minority owner to do all the leg work and hard yards running and trying to improve the club  and they're just sat back like "Sure you can build a new stadium, spend loads on staff and players etc, but remember , F you, pay us."

1 hour ago, VillaJ100 said:

IfI was a fan I'd like to know why he was so keen on getting Chelsea first, didn't, and then turned to Man U. Also the Glazers seem to make have some mafia type role where they're getting the minority owner to do all the leg work and hard yards running and trying to improve the club  and they're just sat back like "Sure you can build a new stadium, spend loads on staff and players etc, but remember , F you, pay us."

Chelsea were available, and he could have got the whole club rather than 25% of it. Hard to blame him for being more interested in the better deal. 

4 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

IfI was a fan I'd like to know why he was so keen on getting Chelsea first, didn't, and then turned to Man U.

Maybe worried about future penalties and getting kicked out of the PL

8 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

they're seemingly brilliant businessmen

for all the shit they get from football fans and what they think a football club is and how it should be ran from a pure business perspective Man Utd must be an incredible acquisition for them, its a cash cow

10 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I’m sure there are Glazers working behind the scenes, they just aren’t doing interviews with the media talking about their plans (begging for money).

Edited by Genie

16 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

This is the kind of shite the government would agree to

Yep, It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Chelsea were available, and he could have got the whole club rather than 25% of it. Hard to blame him for being more interested in the better deal. 

Absolutely, we are talking about billionaire businessmen here. They go where the value is.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

they're seemingly brilliant businessmen

for all the shit they get from football fans and what they think a football club is and how it should be ran from a pure business perspective Man Utd must be an incredible acquisition for them, its a cash cow

Especially when they basically bought the club with it's own money.

11 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Especially when they basically bought the club with it's own money.

It’s crazy that this is a thing, I think those brothers who bought ASDA did the same thing.

They buy the company with a massive loan which is paid for by the company itself. 

It’s like a cheat code.

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Absolutely, we are talking about billionaire businessmen here. They go where the value is.

It feels to me a bit like a billionaire version of 'I wanted the blue toy car but someone else bought so I got the red toy car'. Like I'd want to know why apparently this through and through united fan was after Chelsea first.

I mean of course I don't give two shits and hope he's a colossal disaster for them 

Just now, VillaJ100 said:

It feels to me a bit like a billionaire version of 'I wanted the blue toy car but someone else bought so I got the red toy car'. Like I'd want to know why apparently this through and through united fan was after Chelsea first.

I mean of course I don't give two shits and hope he's a colossal disaster for them 

He's just bought 25% for around £1.3bn, in 5 years he will likely more than double that investment. It's as simple as that. 

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

He's just bought 25% for around £1.3bn, in 5 years he will likely more than double that investment. It's as simple as that. 

Yep

The first thing is like I said think of it as a businessman making a business decision, this is not a football fan with any intention of running his business the way football fans think it should be, those days are done

One money making venture didn't come to fruition so he went out and bought another money making venture 

Either way he's doing it to make money, the thing is whether or not the Glazers will rub off on him (kw) and give him the realisation that Man utd can make a serious amount of **** money without actually winning anything 

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Either way he's doing it to make money, the thing is whether or not the Glazers will rub off on him (kw) and give him the realisation that Man utd can make a serious amount of **** money without actually winning anything 

And that's the thing with football clubs at elite level. Why should Man U aim to win CL every year while spending crazy money on players if they can finish 3rd most years and go fairly deep into CL while operating at the current standard?

There is not much extra financial reward for them to do a little better (i.e. be at the top) if they are already a cash cow.

And even if they do spunk an extra £1bn on players/training ground/infrastructure, they have no guarantees they will see a return on that investment.

I think glazers and Ratcliffe are perfectly happy with where Man U is as a business. Why wouldn't they be? 

• Like 1

All of the above few posts could see United end up doing a Chelsea but without having the billions of pounds worth of players to save them. 

They will only continue to get the referee and VAR decisions while they remain a top 4/6 club.

They have a bad year because they haven't improved like all the other clubs around them, and they going to have to spend money amd make a loss.

Other than Garnacho, and maybe Mainoo (even more maybe Rashford), their team seems filled with players that won't make them a profit.

That's before they have to have spend half a billion repairing a stadium that is falling down.  One thing's for sure, they won't be voting for the new ffp rules that bring stadium expenditure into their ffp calcs.

15 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

The Jack Grealish of club owners

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's like when Michael Jordan bought the Charlotte Hornets in the NBA. He payed $256m back in 2010 and it was one of the worst ran franchises in US sports during his 13 year reign. He sold it last summer for $3 billion.

Obviously US sports is different but Manure is such a huge brand that they almost fall in the same category.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

It's like when Michael Jordan bought the Charlotte Hornets in the NBA. He payed $256m back in 2010 and it was one of the worst ran franchises in US sports during his 13 year reign. He sold it last summer for $3 billion.

Obviously US sports is different but Manure is such a huge brand that they almost fall in the same category.

I just put those numbers into a historical interest calculator. $273m in 2010 would have become just under $3b in 2022 (it didn’t go up to 2023) if he’d have just put it in the bank and avoided all the other costs associated with owning the club :lol: 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just put those numbers into a historical interest calculator. $273m in 2010 would have become just under $3b in 2022 (it didn’t go up to 2023) if he’d have just put it in the bank and avoided all the other costs associated with owning the club :lol: 

That feels like a lot.

Edited by sne

Â