VillaGoMarching

maybe the bale deal wasnt all that certain that early in the window hence not wanting to spend that much money on benteke. we should be happy they didnt.

id rather put my money on liverpool this season but its way to early to tell really

I'm happy they didn't. But it wasn't early in the transfer window, plus the bale sale wouldn't of made a difference as spurs have said they already budgeted to spend the money regardless of selling bale. Didn't they sign soldado about a week after benteke withdrew his request.

I'll only believe that if they spend upwards of £50m today. They knew Bale was gone back in May/June time (agent said deal has been in the pipes for over 100 days, I think), so they've been spending that money. Saying they'd planned it anyway was just so that teams didn't rip them a new one on fees. Would Roma only want £30m for Lamela if Bale had just left for £86m? Of course they'd want more. The Tottenham board very shrewdly put doubt over the transfer and waited until the day before deadline day to let it get finalised so that other teams wouldn't screw them over. It's been very well played by Levy and Co.

maybe the bale deal wasnt all that certain that early in the window hence not wanting to spend that much money on benteke. we should be happy they didnt.

id rather put my money on liverpool this season but its way to early to tell really

I'm happy they didn't. But it wasn't early in the transfer window, plus the bale sale wouldn't of made a difference as spurs have said they already budgeted to spend the money regardless of selling bale. Didn't they sign soldado about a week after benteke withdrew his request.

I'll only believe that if they spend upwards of £50m today. They knew Bale was gone back in May/June time (agent said deal has been in the pipes for over 100 days, I think), so they've been spending that money. Saying they'd planned it anyway was just so that teams didn't rip them a new one on fees. Would Roma only want £30m for Lamela if Bale had just left for £86m? Of course they'd want more. The Tottenham board very shrewdly put doubt over the transfer and waited until the day before deadline day to let it get finalised so that other teams wouldn't screw them over. It's been very well played by Levy and Co.

I agree, hats off to Spurs for doing their business well. They'd never gotten all those players for those fees if they'd sold Bale first.

• Like 1

I agree with you, I was responding to the poster who said the bale money wasn't certain. For me it was always just a nmatter of time. However if the whole footballing world knew that bale was going for that amount of money so surely Roma would of known and if they wanted more then they could of.

Offshore-owned Spurs, boosted by £27m of public grants last year, spending their £86m Gareth Bale money on new talent. Spurs said in 2011 that committing to their new stadium project without "the correct level of public support" would be "wholly irresponsible".

• Also easing the stadium deal last year: Haringey councillors, agreeing to let the club drop its £16m legal commitment to fund social housing, schools and transport, due to "challenging market conditions". Spurs said the £16m burden on the club had made the whole scheme "not viable"; councillors agreed to take £477,000 instead.

link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24057423

Scottish fans have been urged to avoid singing "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" in the run up to Christmas........... ;)

I always assumed that the use of the 'Y' word grew from some sort of terrace reaction from Spurs fans to derogatory chants aimed at them? Anyway, Camerons defended it now, so its bound to be outlawed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24057423

Scottish fans have been urged to avoid singing "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" in the run up to Christmas........... ;)

I always assumed that the use of the 'Y' word grew from some sort of terrace reaction from Spurs fans to derogatory chants aimed at them? Anyway, Camerons defended it now, so its bound to be outlawed.

Spurs have now asked their fans' opinions on whether the 'Yid' word should be allowed or not. I don't think that's a particularly smart move by the club, the majority of their fans aren't Jewish, so have no real right to decide whether the word is offensive or not. 

• Like 1

AVB not happy with the Villa cup game scheduled with just one day of rest after another game.

Think he's got a point, should have been easy enough to make sure teams with sunday games are placed on the wednesday schedule.

Good chance there'll be a weakened side

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24150719

ooiii! Cardiff! Keep your scouts away from our training ground

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/339474/Man-tried-to-have-sex-with-sheep-next-to-Tottenham-training-ground

That was during an epic run of games against Blackburn.  We got drawn against them in both cups for two seasons in a row, between February 2009 and February 2011 we played them ten times! 

Â