VillaGoMarching

• 3 weeks later...

This is an article on skyscrapercity, a forum for architects, regards new plans for our stadium:

The KSS stadium was always designed to be able to increase capacity, once the transport proposals had been proven. The bowl was design to accommodate this.

We are no longer working on the Stadium scheme and have not done so for a year. 

I understand that Populous are designing a completely new stadium based around NFL and Football. I understand that their Stadium will be much higher and very different to our design, incorporating a large sliding pitch!

Work cannot start on any stadium until the CPO issues, which are still outstanding, are resolved and Spurs would have to apply for a new planning permission for a much higher Populous stadium and a stadium with a much higher capacity (65,000 in NFL mode, I understand). Not straight forward. I would think a start on site in the second half of 2014 is very challenging

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?s=aa3e203abb86fa5518ba318833ce4b30&t=447082&page=36

And this is an article from architects journal:

Populous, designers of the London Olympic Stadium, are drawing up multi-use proposals for a Tottenham Hotspur stadium that could also host American NFL games

2012 Olympic Stadium architect Populous has drawn up top secret plans for a mega-venue at White Hart Lane, home of Spurs.

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club brought the practice in last month to re-think architect KSS’s already-consented £400 million, 56,000-seat stadium scheme for the north London site.

It is rumoured that new, top secret plans for the site include a retractable natural turf pitch, allowing the arena to be opened up for uses other than football – similar to that at the Arizona Cardinals’ home stadium in Phoenix, which was also jointly designed by Populous together with Eisenman Architects (pictured). The AJ believes the club wants to entice the National Football League to host American Football games in the stadium.

It is unclear how the proposals, which are understood to be taller than the existing stadium, would impact on the redevelopment of the area around the ground, which has been earmarked for 285 homes and a wider commercial development.

However the creation of a 75x100m glazed structure to house the retracted pitch south of the ground – thought to be part of Populous’s proposal – would mean the number of planned homes could shrink.

A spokesman for the club would not comment on the rumours, insisting Populous had only been formally appointed to ‘take forward the interior design for the fit-out of the stadium’ and to ‘conduct a peer review of the stadium design’.

He added: ‘[The club] has always seen the new stadium as being at the heart of the regeneration of the area and this process can be enhanced through future-proofing the design, as well as increasing the functionality of the stadium.

‘The club intends to continue to examine all options as it refines its plans.’

The first images of plans to revamp Spurs’ home date back to 2008. The club has worked on numerous options for the area around the ground as part of its Northumberland Development Project – initially using Make Architects (AJ 01.10.10).

In 2011 Spurs also looked at moving to the Olympic Stadium, which it intended to rebuild.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that Allies and Morrison has been appointed by Stanhope to draw up a masterplan for the Western side of Tottenham High Road, close to the ground.

The proposals move forward the wider masterplan for the riot-hit borough drafted by Arup for Haringey Borough Council and property developer Stuart Lipton.

Lipton was sceptical about the stadium rumours, saying that it would be hard to build much bigger, given the plot size and the Sainsbury’s supermarket that is currently under construction next door.

Populous declined to comment.

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/news/tottenham-hotspurs-secret-plans-for-white-hart-lane-mega-stadium/8654598.article?blocktitle=News-feature&contentID=9529

Edited by TartarugaJones

Read that earlier. Exciting as a Spurs fan that you might be on the brink of something as exciting as that. Not that I wish you good luck with it. Obviously I don't :P

• Like 1

Read that earlier. Exciting as a Spurs fan that you might be on the brink of something as exciting as that. Not that I wish you good luck with it. Obviously I don't :P

The only thing that worries me is that we're so far along the line with the current project in terms of all the planning agreements, consultations etc. that to try and make such a radical change at this late date could add more years to the project. On the other hand a deal with a NFL side could be massive, and game-changing for the club.

Edited by TartarugaJones

You just wonder though.  What's going on in the background.  You never know from the outside until it's all done and dusted and perhaps all Spurs are doing is future-proofing their stadium to put them in pole position if the opportunity ever arose.  Speculating to accumulate as it were.

The other possibility of course, is that all these current official denials of an eventual London NFL franchise could be a smokescreen while the foundations for one are laid down at their leisure.  Literally and figuratively.

With all the recent talk of possibly expanding the wildcard week recently.  The very notion of even going NEAR the format of the post-season ... Well, a conspiracy theorist could plausibly postulate that there's a doin's a transpirin' and that the NFL might be up to something in the more mid to long term ... :detect:

Thinking more deeply about this...

One stumbling block for the NFL in London would have been stadium. There's four venues that are possible as it stands: Wembley, Twickenham, Emirates, and maybe the Olympic stadium. All are going to want a substantial rent, as opposed to a situation like (or more precisely opposite) the Kraft's ownership of the Patriots and MLS' Revolution, where the owner of the stadium picks up a franchise to fill extra dates on the calendar (the FA and RFU aren't going to do that, Kroenke already has his NFL franchise, and Sullivan/Gold don't have the money (even if they end up owning the Olympic stadium)).

But Lewis/Levy/ENIC have the dough, and a 30-ish percent increase in the number of dates booked at a new stadium could be appealing for them, even if it's only drawing in the 40k's (which is beyond do-able if it's an expansion franchise in the NFC East: for the price that a Giant or Eagle or Redskin or Cowboy fan who's not a season ticket holder would have to pay for decent seats, it's the better part of a plane ticket and hotel for a weekend in London anyway). Of the options for a second tenant at a new stadium, an NFL franchise might just be a better bet than a rugby league or rugby union club, too.

Spurs have no creativity, and that seems to be a staple of avb sides. He talks about directness, getting the ball up the pitch as quickly as possible, a philosophy I love, but his teams play the opposite way, lethargic in possession and no way to break teams down. I think he'll get it right at spurs, but I have no clue why the way he describes how he wants his side to play is so different from how they actually play

His Porto team played great football to be fair. I still think not signing Moutinho was a big blow for him in being able to replicate that style. They still don't have a midfielder like him.

I don't think AVB has earned the right to slag off the fans yet.

He's done excellently so far results-wise. Record points total for them in the Premier League last season, high in the League again this season.

At the same time he seems to have turned Spurs into the dullest to watch of all the teams in the top part of the table. The team that qualified for the Champions League under Redknapp was very exciting to watch and got a lot of neutrals cheering for them. The current team probably sends even some of their own fans to sleep.

A couple of bad results and the fans could turn against him.

It doesn't help that Townsend is one of the form players in the league either.  Lamela was bought at a time when the thinking was it was only Lennon he'd have to oust.  There's no doubting Lamela will get his chance and I'd say having him in the wings (pardon the pun) is a part of why Andros is playing so well.  Townsend knows that one slip-up and he has a £30m Argentinian ready to step in and do a job.

He's still only 21, players need time to settle in. Like Bale at Madrid.

It's just interesting, how our fans write off our players when they go through the exact same circumstances.

Not all of our fans have, and some fans write off players from other teams too quickly as well.

Soldado has been sited as being shit and a waste of money by some already.

Â