Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I quite like the music of Girls Aloud and am considering buying their best of album, if they have one (I'm sure they do, money grabbing sluts)....

It also pisses me off when people use the incorrect amount of dots when indicating a continuation at the 'end' of a sentence. It should always be four.

It also pisses me off when people use the incorrect amount of dots when indicating a continuation at the 'end' of a sentence. It should always be four.

Since when? An ellipsis always has three.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz

We had this (ellipsis) debate a couple of years ago on VT.

Personally, I greatly prefer to use four dots, but I willingly concede that the "correct" number is three. I just wish it wasn't... .

No, the entire point of an ellipsis is that there is more coming. So you're just trying to explain away being wrong :D Any 'ending' for want of a better word is incorporated into the three.

The consensus among style guides is that it's four dots to end a sentence

The Chicago Manual of Style suggests the use of an ellipsis for any omitted word, phrase, line, or paragraph from within but not at the end of a quoted passage. There are two commonly used methods of using ellipses: one uses three dots for any omission, while the second one makes a distinction between omissions within a sentence (using three dots: . . .) and omissions between sentences (using a period and a space followed by three dots: . ...). An ellipsis at the end of a sentence with a sentence following should be preceded by a period (for a total of four dots).

The MLA now indicates that a three-dot, spaced ellipsis ( … ) should be used for removing material from within one sentence within a quote. When crossing sentences (when the omitted text contains a period, so omitting the end of a sentence counts), a four-dot, spaced (except for before the first dot) ellipsis (. . . . ) should be used. When ellipsis points are used in the original text, ellipsis points that are not in the original text should be distinguished by enclosing them in square brackets (e.g. "text [...] text").

I quite like the music of Girls Aloud and am considering buying their best of album, if they have one (I'm sure they do, money grabbing sluts)....

modern day music, they have 2

and i also own the sound of girls aloud, think i convinced the gf to buy it, but it doesnt have "speak french" on it so i might have to convince her to buy the new one too :blush:

Â