Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

We decided last week that we'd get a takeaway tonight, but fancied something a bit different. We decided on a place to order from, and the plan was I order as I leave to pick up my girlfriend. She sends me her order, I go to order it, 'we don't deliver to your address'. Shit.

I look at alternatives, find a couple, text her and explain, she checks out the alternatives, picks the one I thought was best thankfully, gives me the new order, I go to order it, in the 5 minutes between her sending me her order and me going to order it the place stopped taking orders. Sigh. Right... Check the other option, they have a very slightly different menu. Decide I'm not texting her again, I'll pick her up and tell her the situation and make sure she's happy with the alternative menu. Which she is. So I order from the third place and, thank ****, the order goes through. Yay. On the downside the reason I order before leaving is to make the most of the time we're together, by ordering once we're together we lose time.

The order says it'll take up to 50 minutes. Not great, but options are limited.

50 minutes sail by. The expected delivery time disappears. An update is sent. It's going to be another half hour. Right... Another half hour goes by. Getting pissed I request an update. It'll be with you shortly. Right... 2hrs after ordering it turns up. Wasn't even good.

Fate didn't want us to order that food.

Yep, that’s a standard situation and why I don’t get any food delivered any more. The convenience of it arriving at the door is more than offset by the fact it’s often very late and usually cold.

• Like 1

There is a new KFC in Lichfield city centre that has a separate waiting section for Uber Eats/Deliveroo/Just Eat collections. Theres other places I have seen similar. Must be big business if they are designing shop layouts around them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yep, that’s a standard situation and why I don’t get any food delivered any more. The convenience of it arriving at the door is more than offset by the fact it’s often very late and usually cold.

I know what you mean but one of the exceptions I find where the food usually arrives hot is pizza so happy to get that delivered…

Obviously from Domino’s Pizza (usually).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

There is a new KFC in Lichfield city centre that has a separate waiting section for Uber Eats/Deliveroo/Just Eat collections. Theres other places I have seen similar. Must be big business if they are designing shop layouts around them.

The new KFC in Tamworth (Wilnecote, site of old Co-op) has this too.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I know what you mean but one of the exceptions I find where the food usually arrives hot is pizza so happy to get that delivered…

Obviously from Domino’s Pizza (usually).

Domino Pizza is different though, they don’t use third parties to deliver. They have a vested interest to deliver a satisfactory product

(regardless of peoples opinions on Domino’s products themselves)

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Xela said:

New McDonald's in Brum doesn't even have tables inside. Just a foyer for ordering and a hatch for delivery drivers. 

Purely aimed at students from the University and surrounding colleges and delivery. 

The big thing now is "dark kitchens" where the kitchen is purely for deliveries and usually operated by a third party. Your food from your favourite restaurant may actually have come from a shipping container in a car park. 

Popeyes are setting up in Brum from a dark kitchen. 

• Shocked 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm so annoyed. Really really gutted. 

Oasis Tandoori in Shirley has closed.  Chef and owner retired. 

I grew up in Hall Green and The Ghandi was my curry house and it was imperious. I was gutted when that closed down and went literally on a 10 year search for a new place. I tried restaurant after restaurant after restaurant. Must have used pretty much every one in South Birmingham.

My brother actually discovered Oasis. It really has been the closest thing I've found since The Ghandi.  Had to try Shirley Spice tonight as an emergency option. Haven't used it in about 8 years and it was every bit as average as it was then. 

I've got to start my search again. What a pain in the arse. 

https://www.alleppeyboat.co.uk/index.php

I like Alleppey Boat on Robin Hood roundabout. 
South Indian food and always very tasty. 

Maybe not quite like the traditional Bangladeshi food at The Ghandi, but worth a try if you haven’t already. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

Liar, I bet you love a doughnut. 

Their coffee is better than Starbucks or Nero (which isn't saying much). The sandwiches nearly make it to an "okay". The baked goods all have a sameness in their taste regardless of sweet/savour y . Pass (without skipping).

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2024 at 11:48, Genie said:

Tamworth’s local jacket potato seller has hit it big on tiktok (Spudman). Today he is doing an “event” giving away free jacket potatoes and the word is that people were queuing up from 3am, tents and all. The council have had to erect fencing and the queue is currently snaking all around the town centre.

At 7am he’s chatting to people in the queue, in the dark. They’ve travelled from Birkenhead, Skegness, Bristol, Northamptonshire.

giphy.gif

Imagine being filmed at 7am a hundred miles from home just to get a free potato from someone off tiktok. It’s a shame that will never go away.

I’ve seen plenty about this guy on tiktok. It’s absolutely bizarre. 

It’s literally jacket potatoes with the normal toppings you’d expect. There’s nothing special about them. People queueing for hours to get a **** jacket potato

Shows the power of social media marketing I guess

• Like 3

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Their coffee is better than Starbucks or Nero (which isn't saying much). The sandwiches nearly make it to an "okay". The baked goods all have a sameness in their taste regardless of sweet/savour y . Pass (without skipping).

Their coffee really isn’t better than Starbucks or Nero. For a start it’s an automatic machine made one.

(I don’t let my snobbery get in the way of me getting a Greggs coffee 2 mornings a week on my drive to the office).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

https://www.alleppeyboat.co.uk/index.php

I like Alleppey Boat on Robin Hood roundabout. 
South Indian food and always very tasty. 

Maybe not quite like the traditional Bangladeshi food at The Ghandi, but worth a try if you haven’t already. 

I've had a look at that. I used it for a bit when it was The Sherwood during my long search. I'll definitely give it a whirl. 

It’s personal taste, I could be easily persuaded Greggs coffee is better than the burnt dirt they serve up in Starbucks*. Better than Nero’s? Nah.

Again, it’s personal taste, but there is a v small chain called Mumbles Coffee which unsurprisingly is located down the Mumbles. It’s head and shoulders above pretty much anything else. I go there to stock up on their coffee for home… and I’m nearly out so another trip is looming.

*motorway services, Starbucks burnt dirt far superior to Costa’s efforts.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Their coffee really isn’t better than Starbucks or Nero. For a start it’s an automatic machine made one.

(I don’t let my snobbery get in the way of me getting a Greggs coffee 2 mornings a week on my drive to the office).

A well calibrated bean to cup machine is fine if the beans are good. Greggs calibrate theirs multiple times per day and their beans are better than the two I listed.

My snobbery is such that I wince when I type "bean" and I own more than one grinder :mrgreen:

As others have sad, everyone's taste is different.

Shop Coffee all tastes the same on the whole , but Black sheep coffee is my preference as they offer up a few options   , not sure if it’s made it to the poorer areas of the U.K. yet so it might just be Surrey and London though ?

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Shop Coffee all tastes the same on the whole , but Black sheep coffee is my preference as they offer up a few options   , not sure if it’s made it to the poorer areas of the U.K. yet so it might just be Surrey and London though ?

eating-popcorn-watching.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

There's one on the platform at Glasgow Central.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Dozens of branches these days mate.. Bit too lamestream for me, like my beans lightly roasted that morning by a man in a fez.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think a lot of it is down to your coffee machine.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â