Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I'm a geek who builds Gundam models. This month a new model was released that has a gimmick that allows it to be displayed with an additional layer of armour. The armour is called Chobham armour. Chobham armour is a real thing, it was developed for UK tanks in the 60s, it's a composite of classified materials that significantly improve the performance of the tanks armour. So it's kinda cool that this silly Japanese space mech show included the concept.

Why does this piss me off? Nobody pronounces Chobham correctly when discussing the model. They all say 'Cho-Bam'. It's pronounced Chob-um. Maddening.

35 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm a geek who builds Gundam models. This month a new model was released that has a gimmick that allows it to be displayed with an additional layer of armour. The armour is called Chobham armour. Chobham armour is a real thing, it was developed for UK tanks in the 60s, it's a composite of classified materials that significantly improve the performance of the tanks armour. So it's kinda cool that this silly Japanese space mech show included the concept.

Why does this piss me off? Nobody pronounces Chobham correctly when discussing the model. They all say 'Cho-Bam'. It's pronounced Chob-um. Maddening.

I thought it was "Cob'm". Silent 'h'. 

EDIT: I've just messaged my mate, who's a former tank driver, for a definitive ruling. Will report back. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

EDIT: I've just messaged my mate, who's a former tank driver, for a definitive ruling. Will report back. 

I know the town is Cob-um, but I've only ever heard the armour pronounced with the 'h'. I presumed this was because the US used it first so it became a bit of a bastardisation of 2 pronunciations that then stuck.

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Point of logic to a fellow pedant, if I may. A tank driver isn't necessarily an authority on the stuff used to build his tank.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Point of logic to a fellow pedant, if I may. A tank driver isn't necessarily an authority on the stuff used to build his tank.

That did occur to me. But as far as I'm concerned, if that's what the professionals called, that's what it is. 

Next topic: the Moog synthesizer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

As exemplified by the discussion over the film Inception - a theory has it that that film is literally all a dream at the end. Michael Caine said this can't be true as he wouldn't appear in a film that ended as it all being a dream. But Caine is only an actor in the film, he might not ultimately know the intention of the director.

The operator knows how to use the machine, he doesn't necessarily know the machine is made of.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I know the town is Cob-um, but I've only ever heard the armour pronounced with the 'h'. I presumed this was because the US used it first so it became a bit of a bastardisation of 2 pronunciations that then stuck.

It's a British invention, so-called because it was developed at the tank research centre on Chobham Common, just outside Chobham in Surrey. Which is pronounced Cob-um. 

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's a British invention, so-called because it was developed at the tank research centre on Chobham Common, just outside Chobham in Surrey. Which is pronounced Cob-um. 

Yes. I know.

I wish Wes Edens was called Eric Wilson. Then our owners wouldn't be NSWE, but NSEW, which is the order I normally use for the points of the compass. 

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

That's news to me

Well, logically, it should be clockwise - North, East, South and West. 

But who ever says that? It's always something like "I've looked everywhere - North, South, East and West..." 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well, logically, it should be clockwise - North, East, South and West. 

But who ever says that? It's always something like "I've looked everywhere - North, South, East and West..." 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d275ce85039762e6f

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There is also a Cobham in Surrey, which is, I assume, pronounced the same?

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Its about 4 miles away from me , it’s Chobham with the H , as Chindie said  (Chob -um )

Cobham is a different town ( home of Chelsea FC training pitch ) in the other direction from me , just past Esher  

my brother actually worked at  the MOD base there in his first job and I’ve got quite a few friends who also worked there it tended to be  where you went to get an apprenticeship  after school in this area 

Chobham  common  was where they filmed scenes in the original Superman movie ( when he encounters the 3 bad guys / woman  )  , my mates dad helped build it so me and my mate got to run around it , all the buildings you see were nothing more than a wooden frame frontage propped up by wooden beams 

it was also a popular site to go with your girlfriend for sex in the car in the days before you’d moved out your parents house ... I’d imagine it’s now a dogging site 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Its about 4 miles away from me , it’s Chobham with the H , as Chindie said  (Chob -um )

Cobham is a different town ( home of Chelsea FC training pitch ) in the other direction from me , just past Esher  

my brother actually worked at  the MOD base there in his first job and I’ve got quite a few friends who also worked there it tended to be  where you went to get an apprenticeship  after school in this area 

Chobham  common  was where they filmed scenes in the original Superman movie ( when he encounters the 3 bad guys / woman  )  , my mates dad helped build it so me and my mate got to run around it , all the buildings you see were nothing more than a wooden frame frontage propped up by wooden beams 

it was also a popular site to go with your girlfriend for sex in the car in the days before you’d moved out your parents house ... I’d imagine it’s now a dogging site 

All of this is solid and useful information. Particularly the last bit. 

Apropos of nothing off to Cannock tonight. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Thank you,  I stand corrected. CH it is. 

Â