Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I was advised when visiting London business partners that the adage is 'no brown in town' - they'd view you as being too informal in brown shoes. Also heard of one incident where someone wore a shirt with a pocket, and had the pocket ripped off by his office head.

Tell whoever told you that - it’s total bollocks. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's very hard to respect someone who would consider you to have embarrassed your firm based on a pocket in a shirt, and not what you'd said or the work you'd produced. You're just proving my point; these businesses - especially big financial institutions - like to believe that they follow rationality and evidence and data, and are not guided by superstition or mumbo-jumbo. These 'sartorial rules of the industry' prove otherwise. 

Walk around a big financial institution and most blokes will be in a shirt, no tie, with either trousers or chinos. Go around the IT departments and it’ll likely be very relaxed (jeans etc). 

You might see people walking around in suits and ties, as a personal ‘old school’ choice and/or they’re a **** try hard, or perhaps if they’re going to meet clients. 

• Like 1

I'd happily wear a blue suit with brown shoes. 

What's more important is how nice the suit and shoes are, not ruling out an entire combination based purely on the colour.

Although anyone wearing black shoes with blue jeans should be shot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

In my experience, it isn't.

My twelve years of living and working in London tells me it is. 

What part of “town” are we talking? Do you mean your business partners see brown as too informal? I certainly don’t consider that to be the widespread feeling, though. 

There might be some stuffy companies/organisations in Westminster/Mayfair/St James’ where it might hold some truth but I’d even say that was a stretch. It most certainly doesn’t hold true in Canary Wharf and The City. 

1 minute ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

What part of “town” are we talking? There might be some stuffy companies/organisations in Westminster/Mayfair/St James’ where it might hold some truth but I’d even say that was a stretch. 

I'm basing it on comments and experience of various people in differing parts of the insurance industry, so largely centred on Lloyds etc.

But we all have different experiences. You think this isn't the case. That's cool.

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

What part of “town” are we talking? Do you mean your business partners see brown as too informal? I certainly don’t consider that to be the widespread feeling, though. 

There might be some stuffy companies/organisations in Westminster/Mayfair/St James’ where it might hold some truth but I’d even say that was a stretch. It most certainly doesn’t hold true in Canary Wharf and The City. 

I'm not going to name names, but Canary Wharf is one of the places where we have a client in a big building that has a dress code and expects visitors for meetings to tow the line.

It is clear when there, that not all departments have this dress code, but the people we meet, who run their departments, have a dress code that they make light about, but make clear it's how they roll.

Suits and Ties for work/status purposes should be consigned to the section of history that we look back on and go, yeah we were words removed back then weren't we, what were we thinking? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm not going to name names, but Canary Wharf is one of the places where we have a client in a big building that has a dress code and expects visitors for meetings to tow the line.

It is clear when there, that not all departments have this dress code, but the people we meet, who run their departments, have a dress code that they make light about, but make clear it's how they roll.

I work on Canary Wharf and that would be an exception to the rule.

If I’m going to visit clients, then I’ll put a shirt, tie & suit on for some clients, but I’ve never had a dress code imposed on me and I’ve never heard/seen a rule like “no brown in town” being applied. 

My mate has worked in Investment Banking for last ten years in London (both Canary Wharf and the City) and never wears a suit. He's worked for Credit Suisse, RBS and Barclays amongst others. 

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The road outside my house looks like **** no man's land. 7 potholes within about 20 metres. The road surface clearly isn't designed to cope with the buses that run over it.

They came out to fix a single one of them about 3 weeks ago, ignoring the others. It's already back, and wider than it was before. Good job, guys.

It's hard to blame the council with their budget being decimated, of course, but it seems like they have no budget for road repairs, yet seem to have no lack of funds to put speed bumps on any road on which anyone's ever hit 20mph.

You can bet your bottom dollar that they used to have teams of directly employed guys who would be sent out after bad weather who would work all day solid fixing pot holes and doing it to a good standard. 

Now it will all be subbed out and costing 5 times the cost of employing your own guys, but somehow massaged to look cheaper in the original negotiations, and now the outsourced provider will come out whenever they feel like it with a couple of minimum wage untrained tykes who will do totally inadequate repairs. 

I remember Birmingham City Council signing a gigantic pfi a few years ago which was claimed would result in all roads being resurfaced within 5 years and guaranteed repairs thereafter. I have seen no evidence of this in fact roads are unquestionably worse now and someone's making massive profit off the back of it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that they used to have teams of directly employed guys who would be sent out after bad weather who would work all day solid fixing pot holes and doing it to a good standard. 

Now it will all be subbed out and costing 5 times the cost of employing your own guys, but somehow massaged to look cheaper in the original negotiations, and now the outsourced provider will come out whenever they feel like it with a couple of minimum wage untrained tykes who will do totally inadequate repairs. 

I remember Birmingham City Council signing a gigantic pfi a few years ago which was claimed would result in all roads being resurfaced within 5 years and guaranteed repairs thereafter. I have seen no evidence of this in fact roads are unquestionably worse now and someone's making massive profit off the back of it. 

Maybe. You might also want to take in to account the cutting of budgets from central government to local government under the guise of 'devolving' shit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Also heard of one incident where someone wore a shirt with a pocket, and had the pocket ripped off by his office head.

The former Chief executive of my company was well known for this. 

I wear short sleeve shirts because our office is always roasting hot, he would probably have considered that a hanging offence.

On 14/03/2018 at 19:32, Jimzk5 said:

I don't have a clue about show jumping, but for 3 hours this afternoon the radio at work the radio was on at Cheltenham, in those 3 hours 3 horses fell and a jockey broke his leg, and all they did was talk about how dangerous this 'sport' is for the jockey.

IMO it's cruel and serves no purpose being giving people a chance to gamble

Maybe they should shoot Jockeys in the head if they fall off and break an arm or leg? Maybe then they would be worthy of a nomination for sports person of the year just for sitting on a fast horse. 

On 12/03/2018 at 13:07, Stevo985 said:

My favourite warning signs on the motorway are the ones that say

"FOG"

Yeah. Cheers.

It's certainly a mist ery why they do that 

• Like 1

Â