Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

My father was bringing the dog for a walk today. Down a country road. The most country road really. Just before there's grass running down the middle of it. A farm land really. Anyway the dog ran up towards another dog and a car hit her coming around a corner. A woman with two kids. The dog is an English pointer. About a year old. Anyway she's fine, but the driver is saying that there's a scratch on the bumper now and it's loose. I'm not sure how much damage hitting a medium sized dog could do to a bumper, or how it could scratch it, but regardless she's asking for money. No pictures were taken of the damage and she's just got my father's phone number. Around that area the most she should have been doing coming around a corner would be 20/30km/h, but she was likely to have been doing a good bit more. So she's going to ring my father later on to tell him the damage and how much it's going to cost. I reckon she could well be looking for him to pay for damage done when she hit a wall or similar previously. word removed

Text last night to say that her cousin is a mechanic and that he's going to have a look at it and she'll let my father know

My father was bringing the dog for a walk today. Down a country road. The most country road really. Just before there's grass running down the middle of it. A farm land really. Anyway the dog ran up towards another dog and a car hit her coming around a corner. A woman with two kids. The dog is an English pointer. About a year old. Anyway she's fine, but the driver is saying that there's a scratch on the bumper now and it's loose. I'm not sure how much damage hitting a medium sized dog could do to a bumper, or how it could scratch it, but regardless she's asking for money. No pictures were taken of the damage and she's just got my father's phone number. Around that area the most she should have been doing coming around a corner would be 20/30km/h, but she was likely to have been doing a good bit more. So she's going to ring my father later on to tell him the damage and how much it's going to cost. I reckon she could well be looking for him to pay for damage done when she hit a wall or similar previously. word removed

Text last night to say that her cousin is a mechanic and that he's going to have a look at it and she'll let my father know

I take it the dog wasn't on a lead… if so… no sympathy

That's wound me up, I hope your dad doesn't pay a penny.

If I hit a dog, the damage to my bumper would be the last thing on mind. Maybe just me.

• Like 2

I take it the dog wasn't on a lead… if so… no sympathy

Well maybe some sympathy. A dog was hit by a car. 

The dog was let out of my father's car into a very rural area. Right where the road ends. Where the people who make the road decided, 'well there's nothing else over here so I guess we can stop building road'. That sort of area. My father was opening a gate into a farm where the dog can run around. While doing this, the dog wandered up from the gate to this bit of end of road where the woman was driving home from a school run. 

Irrespective of the fault, which was certainly on my father from a legal point of view for not having his dog on a lead, I think she's taking the piss saying that the dog scraped her bumper. I think the likelihood is that the car was already damaged from her stupid driving, and she's just being opportunistic. 

So do we think that the woman's cousin is going to come back with a low quote for damage that he would give her because she's family, or something inflated because he knows that my father is paying? 

• Like 1

Irrespective of the fault, which was certainly on my father from a legal point of view for not having his dog on a lead, I think she's taking the piss saying that the dog scraped her bumper. I think the likelihood is that the car was already damaged from her stupid driving, and she's just being opportunistic. 

So do we think that the woman's cousin is going to come back with a low quote for damage that he would give her because she's family, or something inflated because he knows that my father is paying? 

I would just say no. Ignore. If her car was seriously damaged, she should have contacted her insurance co. and the police. She didn't do those things, I take it? Onus is on her to pursue through channels or forget.

YLN,

This woman should not, under any circumstances, be contacting you or your father directly. This is why we have insurance companies. She hasn't contacted her insurance company because she didn't take any pictures of the accident. That's her fault, her problem. She can't make up for it later by sending menacing messages. Your father should ignore her, and contact the police if she continues to harrass your family for money. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4

Â