Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

54 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I drag myself out of bed most mornings about 8.30am. I'll then doss about for an hour, extol the virtues of Gabriel Agonlahor for a bit, grab a coffee, maybe have a wank. Shit, shave, shower and I'm ready to rock by 10am. 

I function better when left to wake naturally and get into the day at my own pace. 9 till 5? **** that, 10 till 4 and you're getting the best of me. Regimented days piss me off. You must be at ze checkpoint at ze allocated time! Schnell! 

Though I guess it only works if you have a vested interest in what you do, and I imagine that most people don't. 

What the hell do you do that allows this level of lethargy? :)

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I drag myself out of bed most mornings about 8.30am. I'll then doss about for an hour, extol the virtues of Gabriel Agonlahor for a bit, grab a coffee, maybe have a wank. Shit, shave, shower and I'm ready to rock by 10am. 

I function better when left to wake naturally and get into the day at my own pace. 9 till 5? **** that, 10 till 4 and you're getting the best of me. Regimented days piss me off. You must be at ze checkpoint at ze allocated time! Schnell! 

Though I guess it only works if you have a vested interest in what you do, and I imagine that most people don't. 

Weird as I've been thinking about this a lot. 9-5 is a bit of a relic in this day and age. For those who work in an office there's really little reason for the 9-5 day and even less of a reason to physically show up 5 days a week. When I work from home I get a lot more done in 4 hours than I do in the average 7 hour day in the office, as I'm much better rested having not had to get up early and commute into the office, and I'm not accosted by time wasters anywhere near as much. The simple fact of working from home will put off the more asinine requests and ensure only the important ones get through.  

Plus clocking off' at the end is so much  better when you don't have to then commute home. As the saying goes, work to live not live to work, IMO you have to be a bit of sad clearing in the woods to make your job your life. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

Well I am a regimented 9-5 man.

Not a morning person at all though. It is not that I don't want to talk to you, it is that I cannot talk to you. Fully functioning at that hour is truly beyond me.  I usually thaw about 10:30.

Anyways, newish lady at work is a chatter. Every morning at 9 comes...

"..and how are you today?"

"...and what did you get up to in the evening."

"I am okay."

"Not much."

Lady, take the hint. It's been 2 months, stop trying to make this conversation happen. Please. I don't want to come across as a dick but I am not going to force myself to engage in conversation at this hour. It would take every bit of strength I have. Just stop.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Exactly. You'd get much more done too I imagine? Don't get me wrong, some days I have to work till 7/8/9 o'clock at night. It's the nature of the beast.

8.30 to 5.30 and I bet they deduct an hour for lunch which you never actually take. 

What kind of daft word removed needs an hour for lunch anyway, I'd be falling asleep by the end. Building sites piss me off in that regard - 15 minute morning tea break, an hour for lunch, probably another tea break in the afternoon and shit all get's done while they're dunking their hob-nobs. Ridiculous places. 

I reckon if you took an office full of people and made their hours 10-3 every day, production (overall) would increase.

That's a theory based on nothing more than a hunch. But I reckon it would work.

• Like 3

On a building site the best time of the day for working is the morning. If you can get 2 or 3 hours of work in before you have a drink then your onto a winner. Lose the morning then the days lost. If I don't start work until 10 for whatever reason then it puts me in a can't be arsed mood.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I reckon if you took an office full of people and made their hours 10-3 every day, production (overall) would increase.

That's a theory based on nothing more than a hunch. But I reckon it would work.

I would quite happily keep working hours as they are now but make it  4 day working week and 3 day weekend, productivity would barely change over the course of a month or year but everyone would be significantly happier and spending more time with friends and family which in reality is the whole point of life,

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I would quite happily keep working hours as they are now but make it  4 day working week and 3 day weekend, productivity would barely change over the course of a month or year but everyone would be significantly happier and spending more time with friends and family which in reality is the whole point of life,

I'd love a 3 day weekend. Some of the daft clearings in the woods I work with would rather be at work than be at home. In my eyes that is the definition of sad. I don't mind working the odd Saturday and there was a time when I was doing 7 days for months at a time but **** that now. The money would have to be too good to turn down and even then I'd moan about working.

I'm a morning person when it comes work. I have no problem getting in before 6am. Regardless of what time I start, I'm brain dead by 3pm! I get 90% of my work done by lunch (I have too, as my sales have to complete by 2pm on a daily basis). 

I like working from home every now and again but 1) I get bored and 2) I need to be in peoples faces in the office to ensure they are doing what I need them to do as ultimately the buck stops with me on a lot of things. 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I turn up some time between 8 and 10 depending on when I can be arsed to get out of bed, take an hour and a half lunch so I can go to the gym downstairs. I do a bit extra each day so I can have a half day on Fridays. I have to do my 37 hours, but nobody is particularly fussed about when I do them, as long as I make myself available when meetings are scheduled. 

My last place wanted people in at 9 on the dot, and I had to fill in time sheets each week down to 15 minute intervals. I'm never going back to a place like that.

I have to fill in down to 5 minute intervals. It's the most morale-sapping, spirit-crushing pointless endeavour known to humanity. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a morning person when it comes work. I have no problem getting in before 6am. Regardless of what time I start, I'm brain dead by 3pm! I get 90% of my work done by lunch (I have two, as my sales have to complete by 2pm on a daily basis). 

I like working from home every now and again but 1) I get bored and 2) I need to be in peoples faces in the office to ensure they are doing what I need them to do as ultimately the buck stops with me on a lot of things. 

Get done **** off is my motto. I like to be home no later than 5.

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'm a morning person when it comes work. I have no problem getting in before 6am. Regardless of what time I start, I'm brain dead by 3pm! I get 90% of my work done by lunch (I have two, as my sales have to complete by 2pm on a daily basis). 

The person who decides your sales have to be complete by 2pm is the problem there. He/she sounds like a dick. 

I agree with point 2) to a degree. Some of my workforce are on site from 8am so I occasionally have to be 'available'. But truth is, I'd rather sack them all and employ people who are more self sufficient than have to run at anything less than optimum efficiency myself. That way we all progress.

You definitely work too hard though generally man, that is a fact. Anyone who works as hard as you shouldn't be doing it to line somebody else's pockets, IMO.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The person who decides your sales have to be complete by 2pm is the problem there. He/she sounds like a dick. 

I agree with point 2) to a degree. Some of my workforce are on site from 8am so I occasionally have to be 'available'. But truth is, I'd rather sack them all and employ people who are more self sufficient than have to run at anything less than optimum efficiency myself. That way we all progress.

You definitely work too hard though generally man, that is a fact. Anyone who works as hard as you shouldn't be doing it to line somebody else's pockets, IMO.

The 2pm time is really for the benefit of the client as we need to pay suppliers early enough so they receive cleared funds in order to release the goods to my clients that afternoon. Its like when you buy a house - you don't want to wait until 5pm for the sale to complete and then get your keys - you want them by lunchtime, so in that respect, the earlier the better on sales.

In terms of staff, I agree, but support staff are managed by a separate internal entity (ie its been outsourced but to another company in the same group) so I have no powers over recruitment, I just have to work with what I have. The joys of working for a company that employs hundreds of thousands of people within thousands of separate legal entities! 

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I turn up some time between 8 and 10 depending on when I can be arsed to get out of bed, take an hour and a half lunch so I can go to the gym downstairs. I do a bit extra each day so I can have a half day on Fridays. I have to do my 37 hours, but nobody is particularly fussed about when I do them, as long as I make myself available when meetings are scheduled. 

Pretty much identical to my old job at the university. I used to love long lunch breaks - either shopping for books/CDs, quiet reading time in a coffee shop, or (on Fridays) down the pub with mates. 

DDID's point about having a vested interest in what you do is valid though - now I'm an unpaid childminder I'm up at 6.30 am four days a week, don't finish until 6.30 pm. Full on and tiring, but (mostly) joyful. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Pretty much identical to my old job at the university. I used to love long lunch breaks - either shopping for books/CDs, quiet reading time in a coffee shop, or (on Fridays) down the pub with mates. 

DDID's point about having a vested interest in what you do is valid though - now I'm an unpaid childminder I'm up at 6.30 am four days a week, don't finish until 6.30 pm. Full on and tiring, but (mostly) joyful. 

There seems to have been such a huge change with childcare in the last 10/15 years or so, everybody I know with children get a lot of help from their parents. My mum picks up my nephew from school a few days a week and it's mostly other nans and grandads waiting in the playground. I only ever remember mums picking up my classmates at primary school, grandparents were just people you visited on the weekend.

I guess parents aren't getting to spend as much time with their children, but I think it's brilliant that this generation are probably going to have much better relationships with their grandparents, generally.

(Disclaimer: I may be talking rubbish)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

There seems to have been such a huge change with childcare in the last 10/15 years or so, everybody I know with children get a lot of help from their parents. My mum picks up my nephew from school a few days a week and it's mostly other nans and grandads waiting in the playground. I only ever remember mums picking up my classmates at primary school, grandparents were just people you visited on the weekend.

I guess parents aren't getting to spend as much time with their children, but I think it's brilliant that this generation are probably going to have much better relationships with their grandparents, generally.

(Disclaimer: I may be talking rubbish)

No, you're not, all that is true. The missus and I never knew our grandparents, so this relationship is special to us. And our daughter definitely can't afford any more paid childcare. BUT, it restricts our retirement leisure time massively. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

My wife's mum cares for our 2 year old daughter and also for our son when he's off school. She does 4 days a week and my mum does the Friday. It helps us out a lot and also the kids love it as they like spending time with their gran. 

• Like 1

Â